Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Acoustic Sounds certainly does increase prices on items. So does Elusive Disc. Not sure about Music Direct as its not a regular hangout for me. But Id imagine so.

2. Royal Flush is TOP NOTCH

Greenmonster2420 and Bryce like this.
  3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Agreed and those companies also have much bigger operations with the flexibility and pricing scales that goes along with that. MM is a tiny mom and pop shop as evidenced by all the complaining about their primative customer service when they get swamped with orders ..... Gabes mention of IR and its current struggles ( and foreshadowing here for us to see and fear ) is a much better company parallel.

TheIncredibleHoke and riverrat like this.
  4. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yes. I feel like the MM really reveals the magic of this session. It's one of my favorites too!

bluejimbop and Carter DeVries like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, I never have really understood this mindset of thinking these relatively small companies "sticking it to the customer". There are many items that sat in my cart for sometimes months. I knew that there was a chance theyd go out of print and that prices would either increase at the site or on the secondary market. Yeah, its one of those "Gah, I should have been less greedy waiting for a sale" moments. But the way I look at it, its not like I dont know prices have a chance of increasing. So I cant really be pissed at a situation in which all these audiophile labels do this. Its business, not personal.

mikeyt likes this.
  6. Hal Stephens

Hal Stephens Well-Known Member

I ordered my first 3 MM pressings today. Very excited to hear them. Guess my next one will be Herbie

SoundDoctor, Dmann201, mpayan and 5 others like this.
  7. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

The reality is this is a purely transactional relationship between producer and consumer. They are looking for the highest price the market will bear and we are looking for the lowest price possible (reference all those 100 page long threads here freaking out about Eagles Greatest Hits dropping 2 cents on amazon).
    Nobody's forcing them to sell them and nobody is forcing us to buy them.

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

While you guys were rehashing the age old debate of MM pricing, I went ahead and ordered two titles from elusive disc :)

Henderson in n out
    Louis smith smithville

Henderson I love and am familiar with, the smith is random and out of left field for me.

Both are out of stock at MM, the Henderson was at $70 but ED had both at $49

SoundDoctor, vette442, asindc and 6 others like this.
  9. TIm13

TIm13 Forum Resident

Since I had to return my Maiden Voyage, I have been thinking about trying to find a copy of the AP 45. It might be best to hold off and see if MM does a repress but I'm not sure how likely that is...

10. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

I love the Louis Smith, I lucked up and got that one in the temporary markdown blip of a few weeks ago on MM’s site. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

39.95 special! Nice score

Theloneliest Monk likes this.
  12. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

What’s your take on that, you think it was an intentional temporary and unannounced sale or a technical problem/mistake? I first noticed the Johnny Griffin Vol. 2 on 45 was marked down so I figured it was marked down due to the SRX release of that title being more popular, then I noticed other titles were marked down too so I figured they were marking 45s down on the whole because of SRX popularity. Of course, later the next day all the prices returned to normal.

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Oh for sure it was a technical glitch/mistake lol. Consider yourself lucky! And I wouldn’t feel too bad either from your end ;)

14. Live Messengers Vol 1 arrived today. Not able to vac clean as my wife is sleeping, but may give it a good brush or a spin clean/hand dry to give it a listen until I can vac on Saturday.

I used to be a "never clean new records" guy, but I don't know what I was thinking. There's no going back now. The spin clean does alright, but I'm not a huge fan of the hand dry. I don't find it nearly as effective. I used it now as a rinse basin in my 2-4 step cleaning process.

Enzymatic cleaner>vac>distilled water spin clean>vac

I will add a second step with a more traditional cleaner in between if needed and a pure water rinse to finish, again, if I feel its needed. Usually, the enzymatic and distilled rinse are enough.

Spinning Buena Vista Social Club right now. Excellent.

G E, mikeyt and Clucking like this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Start saving for an US cleaner. It's a game changer. :)

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  16. I have to say I am very intrigued. For me, though, I have many parts of my system I would want to upgrade prior. I have considered a DIY US. I could tell my wife it's for her jewelry :laugh:

AnalogJ likes this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

In retrospect, I might have upgraded to US cleaning before some other things if I had understand how much better and more convenient it is than my Okki Nokki RCM.

18. Good to know. I will start looking at a cheaper or a DIY option more seriously. The KL or AD systems would cost me more than I have invested in any single component. Hell, the retail prices on those are more than I have invested in my entire system (thus far).

But I have seen cheaper options and will be taking a harder look.

19. Josquin des Prez

I was able to save a good bit of money buying a dealer ex-demo Audio Desk.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The latter is one hell of a recording. I have the original Classic Records release.

21. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Wow, do you mean the 45rpm one? only two copies on Discogs and the cheap one is listed for $760!!!!

22. blue

blue Mastering rules

Joe, am I right that the only reason they should sound slightly worse could be the 33 vs. 45 RPM thing? As both are mastered by the same person....or are there other reasons?

23. blue

blue Mastering rules

Joe, owning many of the different great releases already (MM and also partly a few already of TonePoet, 80th, BNReview) my question is: do we have to expect parallel releases on those series mentioned incl. SRX or are those series all publishing exclusive releases? I must say I hope so (exclusive).

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think Classic did put it out at 45rpm, but I have the 2LP 33. The 33 was the first version they put out, and it was put out concurrently with the acclaimed documentary film about the Buena Vista Social Club.

Clucking and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  25. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I was lucky to find a sealed copy for a reasonable price in 2015. Had the original 33 since 1999. The 45 is most luxurious box I have and a true audiophile classic.

Clucking likes this.