Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Oh wow, I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I need to find an original now just for the OG artwork.

kay bee likes this.
  2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Im not sure it matters in all cases but this particular release it is...to me anyway. I realize for a lot of people these things are superficial

3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It is something I would like to have, considering it ties into the theme of the music.

Stu02 likes this.
  4. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

The 75th anniv pressing of “Speak Like A Child” has the original unipak jacket and is one of the better sounding pressings from that erratic run of titles. I might just put it on right now! Thanks

DeRosa likes this.
  5. kay bee

kay bee Well-Known Member

Same here. This is a favorite of mine and I had not clue about the original photos, which really are something else!

6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Does anyone have insight as to how the 2x45RPM Analogue Productions of Idle Moments holds up to the MMJ 33?

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  7. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

My beautiful wife recently gave me four of the Music Matters SRX titles for my birthday (Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple, Art Blakey - A Night in Tunisia and Free for All, and Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban) and I don't find the vinyl any quieter than on some of the other Music Matters releases that I have with their older formulation. In fact, I have not been able to tell any real difference in vinyl noise level than most other modern pressings from other labels that I have. The mastering generally sounds good, if a little hard on top. The good thing is that these are all 33 rpm releases, as I don't really like flipping sides between every song or two.

Am I the only one who is a bit underwhelmed by the SRX pressings, especially at $60 for each? Was I expecting too much?

mpayan and NorthNY Mark like this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I ordered three titles and upon playing them found them noisy (clicks and pops). Ordered a forth (Joe Henderson) and it was quiet all the way through. Though I haven't done a one to one comparison of an individual title I don't hear the benefit when records pressed on standard formulations such as some that I have that were pressed at Record Industry rival the SRX for signal to noise ratio.

9. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I had lots of tics on the 2nd side of Afro-Cuban, and a few on the 1st side. All the other SRXs I got were perfect. I sent it back (just the record) and they sent me a new copy, which was perfect.

10. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I'm not talking about clicks and pops. I'm talking about low level static throughout the album. I expect new records to be free of clicks and pops from any pressing plant. What I expected out of the SRX titles was a very black, quiet background and I have to say that it's not really any different on average than any other album from any other plant.

vette442, mpayan and musictoad like this.
  11. Gil Melle and Up at Mintons arrived yesterday. Gil is up first and, man, this record is GREAT! MMJ impresses me each time I play one of their mono titles. The depth they are able to pull out of these mono mixes is astounding. This one will get a lot of playing time. Highly recommended.

12. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm with you.

13. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Hmm, I found that over my system the SRX titles have significantly lower groove-noise, probably about -6dB worth. I noticed the same thing with MoFi's Supervinyl releases on the same vinyl formula. I think it comes down to what is the dominant source of noise in your system. If any one component of your reproduction system has a higher noise floor than RTI's already quite pressings, you wouldn't hear a difference. Quite a few systems that otherwise sound amazing (I'm looking at you tube-amplified systems) have a high enough noise floor that a slight improvement in groove-noise isn't going to be noticeable.

Carter DeVries and mikeyt like this.
  14. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Kevin and Joe are wizards of mono. The world would be a nicer place if all mono reissues went through them.

15. G E

G E Senior Member

This has been my experience as well. The noise floor is phenomenally low on my system as well as a friends system he has a Transrotor magnet drive.

I have one SRXtitle amongst my order of 5 to play tonight. Gonna be a great session!

Carter DeVries and alarickc like this.
  16. G E

G E Senior Member

My buddy called up and said come over. The tubes are warmed up. Spinning MMJ records on a Transrotor is special. But my Well Temple Amadeus is a super quiet player too. No metal bearings. Zero tolerance Teflon socket for spindle shaft. Tone arm is attached to a golf ball that is suspend by nylon line in a pot of viscous fluid. Really.

IanL, recstar24 and alarickc like this.
  17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Nobody? Really?

18. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Strange. I have eight of the SRX titles and can hear a very obvious difference in surface noise. After the initial bit of lead groove the silence, before the music starts, is astounding. Same thing between tracks.
    I do have a small handful of non-SRX, recent pressings that are nearly as quiet at the surface, but not many.

19. TheClassical

TheClassical Forum Resident

I've been a huge fan of the MMJ series for a while now. I've gotten all of the 33s and cherry picked a few favorite titles from the 45s. I've picked up 3 of the SRX series so far (A Night in Tunisia, Adam's Apple, and Free For All). I've really been thrilled with the sound of everything I've heard. I'm planning my next order and wanted to see if any of you had any strong opinions about the 45 editions versus the SRX editions of Afro Cuban, Johnny Griffin Vol 2, or Sonny Rollins Vol 1. Both editions of each are still available and was wondering if any of you were in a position to compare. Getting up to flip the 45s more often doesn't really matter to me, I'm just looking for great sound. Thanks!

Jimbo912 likes this.
  20. jstarboy

jstarboy Well-Known Member

Rollins Vol. 1 SRX sounds fantastic, but the 45 is better to my ears. More spacious and more detail in the mids. I sold my SRX in favor of the 45.

Elofan and TheClassical like this.
  21. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I can only speak to the MMJ 33, which is fantastic but has the most surface noise of any MMJ in my collection. I did get a replacement, which was a bit quieter but not on part with the rest of my MMJ pressings. I believe there's some discussion in this thread about some QC issues with their run of Idle Moments 33's. Still a great reissue and I listen to it often, but just something to be aware of in making the decision between AP and MMJ in this case.

musictoad and googlymoogly like this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My Idle Moments is dead silent. It was my first MM coming from a really noisy BN75. The fact it was essentially perfect is what sent me down the MM rabbit hole with ridiculous expectations! That they’ve mostly met!

23. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

musictoad likes this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I personally found the AP unlistenable. I bought it on a whim unheard based on the praise for the album and after a first listen, dismissed the album, especially the title track, as boring and dull. Little did I realize it truly was the mastering! The AP sounds very flat and dull to my ears/system, and a bit sluggish groove wise. The MM sounds much more life like, dynamic, present, and doesn’t have the sluggish feel the AP had to my ears. My guess is the AP May be a flat transfer from tape, whereas the MM has a little more mastering love from Ron, Joe, and Kevin.

mikeyt, johnt23 and musictoad like this.
  25. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

+1, me too.