Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i've had a shopping cart waiting for checkout for a few weeks now. just haven't figured out a way to justify it to my significant other yet.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well Paypal credit has 6 months no interest. :D

This is my consolation for not buying the VMP box.

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh dear...

just looked and it seems as if there are a handful more 33 releases available again. now i'm in trouble.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

MMJ does their math well. You always need that one extra LP to get free shipping, or so it seems. I'm going to pick up 3 more SRX and that has me a bit shy of free shipping so I've been thinking of these to get me over. Any thoughts,recos,on these lesser priced titles?

Jackie's Bag-33
    The Cat Walk-45
    Candy-33

rxcory likes this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Either cat walk or candy. Both are great. The cat walk cover is killer! Candy 33 is vastly superior to the 45 (mono vs stereo) and it’s a real cool Morgan as it’s just a quartet

rxcory, DeRosa and Fender Relic like this.
  6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Just ordered four more 45s. Couldn't help myself.

The Cat Walk
    Doin' Alright
    The Cape Verdean Blues
    Unity

7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

MMJ is a beautiful addiction :agree:

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Currently working on a cart:

Doin all right
    Mobley 1568
    Hubbard here to stay

Contemplating stopping there or go for the free shipping :)

Fender Relic likes this.
  9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Don't know if we already knew for sure, but I got the confirmation today from MM that they will release more titles on SRX vinyl. Great times for Blue Note fans (MM, Tone Poet, BN80, BN Review). And make sure you check out the Clifford Jordan Glass Bead Games. The recent Superfly reissue was OK, but the Ray Staff mastered Pure Pleasure reissue is really, really great. The music too.

MRT, Twinsfan007, Dmann201 and 6 others like this.
  10. You’re gonna dig Unity. Fabulous songs and sound quality on that one. The Cape Verdean Blues has been in my shortlist / radar for a while...

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah Unity gets praised a lot for the sonics (Fremer most notably) so I've got high hopes. I streamed Cape and could immediately tell it would be a really lively and fun title that would blossom beautifully with the MMJ treatment.

The other two were cheaper meat n' potatoes type titles.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  12. Any word on what titles to expect in the next SRX release?

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Who did you talk to or hear that from at MM? I texted Ron about titles and he said “no, still up in the air, nothing as of now”

14. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

It seems more likely we are going to see represses of some of the OOP 33 rpm titles since they likely still have some room left on their licenses. We saw that with Blue Train. Right now numerous in-demand titles are out and they likely have at least another 500 or 1000 left on their licenses.

Art Blakey - Moanin'
    Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
    Grant Green - Idle Moments
    Lee Morgan - Search for a New Land
    Lee Morgan - Sidewinder

and a few more seem in low stock.

Of course, this is pure speculation, but it makes more sense than us seeing a new series anytime soon. Happy to be proven wrong!

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

According to Ron and our texts back and forth, the above is purely speculation :D

mikeyt likes this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I stopped right there ;) cart ordered. Have been eyeing the Hubbard for a long time...

timzigs and Fender Relic like this.
  17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I asked MM for a replacement for a record and was told that it will be sent with my next order. In return I asked if and when new titles will released. Carol answered last Wednesday - copy paste - "We will be releasing more titles on SRX vinyl." But now I'm going to request the replacement to be shipped separately. And yes: I had to prove the defect with video too. (I have a complete collection of 45s and 33s so it's not that I'm a brand new customer....).

recstar24 and btf1980 like this.
  18. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Comeback Vinyl had SRX titles for those in the greater Atlanta area. Doubt they still have them now.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Hm, that's pretty cool. I've been thinking about the Cat Walk for a while now. I dont have any Donald Byrd with Pepper currently and was going to wait for Tone Poet's Chant. And I dont have any Johnny Griffin. Congregation has Sonny Clark which is always a big plus, and playing it on Apple Music, its the tenor +3 set up I prefer. Just sent the links to my wife for a HINT HINT fathers day idea.

I thought I was done buying MM since the titles left I want were pretty much out of what I wanted to spend, plus using my music budget on gear upgrades, Tone Poet, BN80, other records.... so seeing a few titles drop in price is a great arm twister. Even paying for shipping its still a great deal. I made a list a while back of $50 and under titles, I need to revisit them and see if there are any other ones I want to pick up still.

20. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I ordered Afro Cuban SRX, Cat Walk and Congregation yesterday. I can't wait to spin these. Will be a first listen for all of those titles. I'm so glad my friend turned me on to jazz, although my wallet certainly doesn't. I still need to grab 4 more SRX to have all of them so far, and I'm looking forward to the next titles that get the SRX treatment.

21. Yep, I was there a few weeks back and they had one or two I believe. They have the most MM titles I have ever seen at a physical location by far.

22. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Agreed. Unity was one of the last of my MM33 purchases, only b/c I wasn't sure I'd warm up to the organ. Once I got the record and listened to it, I was amazed at how incredibly rich it sounded. You really don't miss the bass not being there...and it's got Joe Henderson :)

23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

This is one where I'm really just trusting all the reviews. Everyone seems to gush about it. The people here haven't led me astray yet. Very curious to hear this one!

mikeyt likes this.
  24. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah, and I forgot to mention how Elvin wails on this record. I took it for a spin this weekend and wow! The percussion is really brought forward and his playing is jaw-dropping throughout.

25. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Any word on when exactly we might see some of the SRX reissues?