Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Geez. I think I bought it last year from the MM site for about $60.

2. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How long ago was it at a fairly normal price, Soothsayer? I know I didn't pay too much above retail.

4. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I want to say at least three years.

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

That sounds way overpayed for even if its rare these days. I did win the Night Train by ORG though, surprised my overnight bid didnt get outbid. Did I make a mistake for 65$, is this back into print and cheap again or did I get lucky?

Mugrug12 likes this.
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

A lot of times when I win an eBay auction my first thought is "uh-oh does everyone know something I don't?!!" Then I read the description to make sure record is not cut in half etc.

7. Leonthepro

You read my mind, I just did that ;^D

The back even shows a number indicating its from the limited run so it should be a good deal.

mikeyt and Mugrug12 like this.
  8. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I believe it hit both $100 and then $125 in the past two years. It only shows as out of stock and not out of print. Between that and the current price of $64.99, I would guess it’s in consideration for the next batch of SRX titles.

Cervelo likes this.
  9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I saw that eBay auction yesterday, too. I tried to bid on a whole wack load of MM titles since Sunday but I got outbid on all but one release, which was The Amazing Bud Powell - The Scene Changes MM 33RPM pressing for $33 USD.

The bidding war on MM titles has gone insane these this year from what I can tell.

mikeyt and Leonthepro like this.
  10. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

I’m also wondering if the recent price drops on other titles indicate a future SRX, 80th, or Time Poet releases like the Dexter Gordon Doin’ Allright.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    SoundDoctor likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

I stayed by the monitor for hours considering what to get and spend ;^)
    Im really happy with what I got though.
    Only big misses were Ella and Armstrong, Johnny Foreman and Lue Donalds. Wanted other titles too but they were so crazy in price I couldnt even consider a bid, especially the Coltrane stuff.

nosliw likes this.
  12. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I was unable to get any of the music matters that I was watching on the auctions, but I did get a few others. I was drooling and reached the max watch limit :laugh:
    I got the following though :
    Harold Land - The Fox
    Jack McDuff - Tough 'Duff
    Larry Young - Young Blues
    Clark Terry/ Thelonious Monk - In Orbit

I also won Introducing Johnny Griffin SRX from another seller.

nosliw and Leonthepro like this.
  13. Leonthepro

Considering I had almost all of them on watch I missed out on like 100. Theyll come again Im sure.

Hgavinyl likes this.
  14. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I streamed The Soothsayer for the first time the other day and was in awe. I need more time with it but initial impression was that it's immediately my favorite Shorter record and could become one of my favorites in all of jazz. So it really sucks that the MM pressing is so unattainable.

mikeyt, Elofan, Ryan_Pretzel and 2 others like this.
  15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Why not just buy an original for like twenty bucks then?

16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I can and might, but don't we all agree MM has put out the best version of virtually every title they've done?

17. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

To my ears, it is the best version by far. Not to mention that the cover of the U.S. version kind of sucks (that's the only one you'll find for $20). Another alternative would be the Japanese King which sounds great in its own right, but doesn't equal the MM IMO.

musictoad likes this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The experts can correct me if I’m off, but there is basically a run of 7 Wayne shorter albums for blue note that are impeccable, starting with night dreamer. The first three have elvin on drums, the last 3 have joe chambers, and smack dab in the middle is the lone shorter with tony Williams :) that’s a big part of the soothsayers charm, combined with James Spaulding :) I was very fortunate to get mine at a reasonable price from a gentle kind soul here on the Hoffman boards.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  19. Leonthepro

Im not so so sure about the. For some of the 33rpm only MMs I think some prefer the AP45s of the same title.

20. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

That's why I said virtually. I'm sure there are exceptions.

21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

That's what I suspected. There's a reason the MM Soothsayer is going for such a high amount. And that US original cover does really leave a lot to be desired.

I'm thinking I'll just grab a CD copy to bide my time until either I can attain the MMJ 45 or they release an SRX version (which would be the dream scenario).

Elofan likes this.
  22. Leonthepro

Well I dont mean exceptions. Ive never seen anyone who has lets say 20 titles on both labels that say they prefer one strongly over the others. Id like to have some input on that though. At least the MM covers are clearly best.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  23. Leonthepro

Wouldnt the SRX still be around 75 - 100$?

24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yep, but I'd be fine with that.

25. Leonthepro

I might be too, if the shipping to the EU wasnt outrageous.

SoundDoctor likes this.