Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I though they were out of Idle Moments. Guess they found a few hiding somewhere. I keep hoping for a SRX repress...

Joti Cover likes this.
  2. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Just made my first purchase. I have several music matters records I acquired through trades. Been on Tone Poet and Mofi One Step buying spree. Ordered Inner Urge, Juju and The Feelin Good. Actually more anxious about buying these then the more expensive Mofi’s.

3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Those are awesome choices, you will love them!!

I just acquired my MMJ white whale... excited to give it a listen today.

And yeah, that's a teaser. :p

recstar24 and Bryce like this.
  4. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Ok and the answer is?

By the by I have everything I ordered on CDs. Shorter, Henderson and Mobley are artists I really like. Just started back on vinyl in 2016 because wife bought me a turntable. Now I am selectively buying vinyl trying not to duplicate something I have on SACD or DVD audio. I gave up on Miles , Dylan and Monk, I buy everything from their catalog on vinyl.

Bryce and recstar24 like this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Bringing back old tired debate between 45 and 33 in 3...2...1...

Spinning the 45 of true blue for only the 2nd time since received in summer. The first time was enough for me to sell off my 33 but this 2nd spin I’m like “holy damn” the sound is remarkable! So much air and ambiance hear around the players, perfect tone and everything just wonderfully balanced. The 33 always had a edginess and over forwardness to my ear, the 45 is conveyed in a way that just allows you to melt into, if that makes sense.

Good Vibes, AnalogJ, mikeyt and 4 others like this.
  6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Let's just say, Inventions & Dimensions sounds freaking incredible just like I thought it would.

Mad Dog, bkbk, Admerr and 3 others like this.
  7. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Have Sam Rivers Mosaic CD Box Set, But new Tone Poem Contours purchase has me thinking about picking up more Sam Rivers. Enjoy.

recstar24 likes this.
  8. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

[​IMG]

In anticipation of the upcoming Minor Move (Tone Poet), I've been spending a good deal of time with Brooks' various dates. But for the past couple of weeks I can't seem to move on from Shades of Redd. This is one of those where I marvel (and give massive cudos to MM) that it got the deluxe treatment at all. The Music Matters version, like so many of theirs, is totally addictive. Brooks plays so calm here. Overall, there is such a sweet mix of moods amongt the tunes (straight ahead and some that push just beyond, some slower numbers, etc.). They are rendered with a tremendous realism and sense of space (as usual). It's one of the better piano sounds captured by Rudy I think. I don't have another version of this, though I'm told the King sounds nice. I can't believe this isn't long sold out and can still be had at its original price. It's likely pushing its way into my top 30.

nosliw, DeRosa, Joti Cover and 10 others like this.
  9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’ve also been listening to this a lot on Apple Music lately, considering it for my next MM purchase. there’s not tons of Tina to listen to but the few I’ve heard - true blue, tracks, open sesame, Jackie’s bag side two, minor move - are all pretty stellar.

recstar24, blutiga and Bryce like this.
  10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I dig the MMJ sound and I've got a few to spin this afternoon. Batting lead off at 33.3...

[​IMG]

Joti Cover, SJR and Morbius like this.
  11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Now batting, a true Blue Note all-star circling the sacks at 45 rpm.

[​IMG]

dman23, Vic Trola, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

One of my top handful of Blue Notes.

guidedbyvoices and jgrillo like this.
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting the 45pm. I'm practically salivating. I sent back the mistakenly sent 33 with the return label MMJ sent me.

recstar24 likes this.
  14. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Sweet. This one is really epic.
    I own the 33. The 45 was the winner when I did a shoot out with my friend's copy. Greater air/space and detail. Less fatiguing to listen to. I'd like to get the 45 at some point.

mikeyt, recstar24 and musictoad like this.
  15. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

My first listen I didn't really crank it and it sounded stellar. I'm spinning it again right now but juicing quite a bit more this time and I'm seriously blown away at how much it opens up. It's simultaneously tight and punchy yet spacious. And I just love the unique flavor of the music.

recstar24 and Bryce like this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I love it because it’s one of the most organic performances I’ve ever heard. It lulls you into this groove but then things just start to morph and mutate and go in completely different directions, it’s the essence of improvisation for me. Whenever I spin it, the word organic always comes first to my mind.

Stu02, johnt23, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  17. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

You all inspired me to spin this one. I dropped the needle and the groove and was in a momentary state of disbelief when the shaker starts going. So much texture to it, so lifelike, so "there". Yes, you said it, so organic. It's not the sound of a shaker, for a moment, it was a honest to god shaker. Psychedelic!

musictoad likes this.
  18. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

[​IMG]

Favorite pasttime - picking out an MM to play each evening. I realize there is no Tina Brooks on this album, but I can only go a couple of days without going through Joe Henderson withdrawal. This is one of the first MMs I bought, and like Shades of Redd, falls in the top 30-40 favorite range. This is one (of the many) MMs where the portrayal of Elvin's drums is simply superb. Same with Ron Carter.

Dmann201, Stu02, Joti Cover and 11 others like this.
  19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I at one point said I was done purchasing MMJs but this purchase was prompted buy arem's erroneous claim that Inventions and Dimensions was on pre-order. I just couldn't look away. Anyway the two classical CDs in the photo coincidentally arrived today with the Blue Notes all the way from England and two weeks late!

[​IMG]

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’m sure you’ve got some system already in place, but I’ve actually entered all my music matters in a discogs collection folder, and every night I click the “random” selection button and that’s my MM for the evening.

bkbk, Bryce and musictoad like this.
  21. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I also have folders set up, but when I select one and hit the random button, discogs selects a release from my total collection. How do you make the random button folder-specific?

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Haven’t figured that one out yet. I only have the “audiophile” stuff catalogued on my discogs, with folders for MM, AP, VMP, mofi, etc. So if I want an MM I just keep hitting random until a MM pops up.

Bryce likes this.
  23. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Well, most of the vinyl in my discogs collection at this point is jazz, so it didn't take long for a MM to pop up. And what a great selection...Inner Urge 45 is spinning now :whistle:

IanL, mikeyt, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

That side you’re seeing is one or two tracks of the 45rpm. So there’s no squeezing of groove space there, they’re as wide and open as they can be. Are you familiar with Music Matters?

AaronW, timzigs and DeRosa like this.