Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I understand the urge! If anyone wants to send me a 33RPM MMJ Indestructible to record on the same system (for science!), let me know...

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Well, I have a pretty good idea which I think should be the MMJ 45 but not sure I want to risk the chance of embarrassment.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Mugrug12 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  3. periclimenes

No need to be embarrassed! You can PM me if you want confirmation.

4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Nah, I think can handle the embarrassment and resulting punishment.

The KS sample sounds a little bolder, but the LB sample has better definition and refinement. Dare I say that I hear it more with some instruments than others (i.e. the piano). Therefore, my guess is LB = MMJ 45.

5. I only listened on ear buds, but I am thinking the LB track is the MMJ 45 as well. The drums sound bigger and fuller in the opening. I also A/B compared a section in the middle of the track, from 6:10-6:30 or so. The horns in the right and left channel start doing a very interesting vibrato lick while the soloist is in the center. The LB track really maintained the separation and detail there much more than the KS track.

They were both quite good

6. periclimenes

I'll hide it under the spoiler tags so people can still go in blind, but

The KS file
    and
    The LB file

danomar, AaronW, Lucca90 and 6 others like this.
  7. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

To be honest, I really cannot tell the difference between both while listening through speakers from my iPad Pro;)
    Maybe I will have to put on my headphones later to try again.

8. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

The LB sound is thinner and a tad brighter. The KS file is fuller and deeper. This was only listening on my laptop. I am sure that if I listened on my big rig it would be even more obvious which was which.

9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I don't see the point in comparing digital samples. I can't imagine you are going to get the full benefit of the 45 from a digital sample on laptop speakers. It's just not the same as playing through a vinyl playback chain. It's not surprising the 33 is winning out because it's going to be more forceful. Kind of the same reasoning as to why the loudness wars started.

mikeyt, timzigs, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  10. Precisely my thoughts. My current digital rig consists of Mac book air and $12 ear buds :laugh:. The 33 jumped out with detail more in that upper mid range, but likely due to a boost in that range, not necessarily better separation or fine detail that is lost on that chain.

But it’s fun nonetheless. And if played through a nice digital front end and a big system it would probably be a different experience.

I think that even comparing head to head through a fully analog chain, there is a certain level of system dependency to be able to extract the benefits of 45. While I could hear some benefit prior, I hear more of the benefit with every upgrade I make to my analog chain. And even then, some may prefer the forward presentation of the 33

timzigs and musictoad like this.
  11. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I don't think the comparison is supposed to be anything other than fun for those who don't have one or both the pressings. At least that's my approach since I have the MMJ in this particular instance.

Plus, for me, the 33 didn't win out.

musictoad and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  12. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Man, I have been wanting the MMJ 45 Herbie Hancock Inventions and Dimensions for awhile, but's it's been either out of stock or way too expensive. Found it recently brand new for $49.95.

Was totally planning on getting the BN80 version later this year, but nah I'll take the MMJ for original price thank you!

Cassius, Dmann201, Bryce and 6 others like this.
  13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

:yikes:

You lucky dog. It's stunning.

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  14. jstarboy

jstarboy Well-Known Member

Where??

mikeyt and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If he told you, he’d have to kill you :)

dminches and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  16. TheIncredibleHoke

Jazz Record Center here in NYC. They had a TON of MMJ all the sudden. I hadn't been there since I had picked over most of their MMJ stock a year ago.
    Ha, I really could not believe it. I haven't seen is for less than $99 or so for months.

Cassius, Bryce, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  17. TheIncredibleHoke

I flt like running through the streets of Manhattan screaming, "Look at this, $49.95!" :D

Briskit, Bobby Buckshot and timzigs like this.
  18. If Point of Departure and Out to Lunch are my two favorite MMJs what are some other suggestions to acquire? I'm assuming Evolution is the top of that list (I do not have it)?

NorthNY Mark and musictoad like this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

You can add destination out to that too. The Sam Rivers is close but probably not as free as your favorite choices.

Vic Trola and Morbius like this.
  20. Yes I love Fuchsia Swing Song as well, I do have that one. I will check out Destination Out as I’ve not really listened to that one previously. I’ve been eyeing One Step Beyond as well from him.

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

One step beyond for sure.

22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm a total Evolution fanboy so I fully endorse this. The MMJ treatment really shines because the spaciousness of the music really opens up wide. And Tony Williams sounds incredible. Plus Trombone!

23. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Agree with what others have said. As you've probably experienced with Out to Lunch, the space that the MMJ 45's provide really lets you hear all the intricacies of the "post-bop" records. Evolution, One Step Beyond, and Destination Out are probably three of my most-played MMJs. And I just drool over Moncur's playing.

Dmann201, NorthNY Mark and Morbius like this.
  24. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Bugger.
    Un-subscribing to their e-newsletter was a terrible, terrible mistake.
    :mudscrying:

bluemooze and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yes, agree, this is no scientific approach and not totally revealing, but fun nonetheless. I'd like to thank @periclimenes for taking the time to post the samples :righton: