Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I didn't even kn0w they had an e-Newsletter!

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

In addition to what others have said, the remaining Andrew Hill record, Judgment, and the Wayne Shorter records.

Vic Trola, NorthNY Mark, IanL and 4 others like this.
  3. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip -- I just ordered The Thing To Do, Gigolo, Happenings, and Una Mas! Inventions and Dimensions was sold out though.

4. Wow, nice! All for retail? Quite the score!

5. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Glad you were able to snag some copies! Happenings is soooo good.

Bryce likes this.
  6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Finally getting around to listening to the 45 of True Blue.

It's actually not as big of a difference as I was expecting, but it is noticable. Instruments are in their own space a bit more. The music is less in your face. That deep skronk by Tina on the opening track was downright jarring on the 33, whereas on the 45 it didn't alarm me quite as much which was a welcome change. Everything is a bit more relaxed. I'm also noticing the texture of the horns more and I'm not sure what to attribute that to except maybe it helps having more division between each band member.

I always notice drums before anything else and with the 45 they are much more wide and spacious. I feel like I'm hearing different parts of the set being hit in different areas like a true kit.

Very glad I got it. Now someone just needs to buy my 33 I have up in the classifieds lol.

7. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

Thanks for the samples.

I immediately identified the correct MMJ45 sample by it's denser sound and better definition overall. The BN80 sounds great too but it's just not as good, everything is just a tad softer and overall not as tight and clear as the MMJ45.

This is on digital rip files played through a computer with headphones... playing the actual LP records would probably reveal even more differences in a good analog setup.

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The thing to do is killer. I definitely didn’t get mine at retail, it’s been long OOP

9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yep, The Thing To Do was priced at retail, and I remember your review a few months back, so I feel damn lucky. I only had a DDM copy prior. Some of the other titles were $60 & $70 but still a bargain for OOP. I also finally bit on Out To Lunch so I expect some kudos from you, Gabe, Greenmonster, and the other Dolphy nuts on here. :agree:

10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

11. Major kudos on the Dolphy!

The Thing to Do is very nice as well, but I’d put a few of your acquisitions before it. Una Mas, Happenings, and, of course, Out to Lunch.

Quite the haul, brother. Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    timzigs likes this.
  12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yes. Totally different masterings.

The MM is vastly superior to my ears.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’ll raise you a removal of the “not”.

14. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I added the MM John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell to my order of the MFSL Brothers In Arms 45 RPM, excited for both!

timzigs, Bryce, musictoad and 2 others like this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Hope cross-thread quoting isn't against the rules, but I just saw this from a few days ago over on the Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation thread. Did ya'll already know this?

AnalogJ, wellers73, Admerr and 5 others like this.
  16. Athalwolf

Athalwolf Tu be or not tu be? That is the question.

I did not before their email. I have not received an answer to my follow up question.

timzigs likes this.
  17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm curious as to whether they'll do any at 45rpm, as Joe Harley previously suggested they might.

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I picked up an OG speak like a child over the weekend from my local for $20, I have the MM but the master tape is kaput so I figured I’d stock up. Pretty pleasant listen and plays clean. Listening to the MM and my god it’s not even close, the MM is in a different universe sonically.

19. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

I can see them re-releasing some of the 45s using the SRX forumula at some point, but...I can't say that I would be looking forward to it due to the added expense. I'm sure that they would following the pricing model of the MoFi One-Steps and Analogue Productions UHQRs ($100-$125), since that seems to be the new paradigm for these ultra-high end releases. Now, if they chose to release new titles more in line with the original pricing of the 45s, I would be one of the first in line to sign up! Sadly, I don't see that happening at this point...

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I recall reading, and I could be wrong, that SPAC wasn't considered to be the best sounding MM title, although I have no doubt it's better than the original.

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I highly doubt Ron will go ahead with srx 45’s, specifically due to cost. My conversations with him lead me to believe he does not even want to risk putting in the capital investment into licensing a title for 45 srx as the material cost would be insane, and I think he has a pretty good feel for where Mm stands currently in the market, especially with TP and BN80

Dmann201 and mikeyt like this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

So presumably the upcoming SRX titles will be 33s of previous mm 45s?

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

For sure, it’s definitely not Mobleys soul station (currently spinning the 45, holy smokes this thing breathes). What I like about the MM speak like a child is the insane bass output and Herbie is rendered really nicely, late 60’s Englewood cliffs RVG ain’t too shabby. Overall though it skews towards the darker end of tonality and as a result is probably a bit more closed in in comparison to the best MM Sonics. But I love the album because Herbie is a genius and it shines on that album.

Dmann201 and mikeyt like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If Ron chooses to continue, that would be my best gut feeling based on our discussions. Or similar to blue train where it’s a srx of a 33 that still have some element of licensing left to fulfill.