Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I actually find Mobley's playing to be rather dull as he progressed through his career. My introduction to him was his playing on Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come and his playing on that album bores me to tears. He sounds a lot more fresh and energetic on 1568.

I'll give Little Johnny C another listen or two.

Stu02 likes this.
  2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Again I'm not an expert I just read on the forum and listen close to my vinyl. I have ~20 mm titles with around 6 being 33 and the rest 45. They all sound great to me and I've never compared the same title in both versions. That said, a few points:

1. Does anyone hear distortion on the inside grooves of any of their mm 33s? I don't recall every hearing it on them but I will listen for it closer now.

2. What you posted above is ad copy for 45rpm records. It would be more convincing if you can share info that's not advertising.

3. Why do you think Kevin and Joe's new jazz remasters are in 33?

And please remember I'm not disparaging the sound of MM45's, just discussing whether certain things are more about mastering choices that are unrelated to RPMs.

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well Miles was not a fan either so you are in good company:) I think he is a more nuanced subtle player but to each his own. All good

musictoad likes this.
  4. 1) No as I said distortion does not have to be blatantly audible to impact fidelity. Also, mastering engineers have to account for that inner groove space when cutting a record by lowering the dB. This has to happen gradually throughout the record to make it not a blatant change. No inner grooves and higher speeds take this out of the equation.

2. I have read plenty of other things saying more or less the same info. Google can find these, but I will look when I am done with work for the day. But just think logically about it. Imagine the groove modulations as a hilly road. When really spaced out, the hills are felt less and less by a passenger, eventually reaching the point where they are hardly noticeable at all. Now, as these hills become tighter spaced the up and down sensations become much more noticeable and maybe even uncomfortable. Space them closer yet and eventually you are just riding over the tops of the hills and it is more or less a rumble strip.

3. because there is a market for both 33 and 45 rpm. To many, they do not hear the difference for whatever reason, and others hear the difference but prefer the convenience of 33s. There is also the financial impact. Sure, the price to the consumer is higher but it also doubles the chance of defects which influence return rates, and cost to the manufacturer.

I have compared several 45s to their 33 rpm counterparts. I hear two things. 1) A greater dynamic range. As you are able to cut louder, dynamic swings can be more dramatic. This ability to cut louder is a direct result of the wider spacing between modulations. 2) A greater sense of ease, naturalness, and space. I am not sure how you accomplish something like ease via EQ.

Don’t get me wrong, there are often EQ differences as well. I hear a slight bump to the upper mids on the MMJ 33s vs the 45s. But that is separate from the effortless sound and dynamic swings that I hear, to my ears and opinion, of course.

IanL, MisterBritt and GreatTone like this.
  5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

As Kevin succinctly states in that blurb you quoted and as I have quoted above very effectively mitigates audible impact to the fidelity of a 33 on the inner most grooves. Furthermore you will find MMJ 45s that due to the content are cut relatively close to the label such as Stanley Turrentine's Up At Mintons's Vol. 2 and I continue to question any impact on fidelity. Yes distortion does have to be blatantly audible to impact fidelity. Additionally I agree with everything Mugrug12 says as he seems to make the point that its only relevant if you can hear it.

6. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I have ripped Toshiba c1984 pressings to digital at 24/96 then compared to a known analogue copy, using identicle sections. The difference was clear. The spectrum from the Toshiba pressing had boosted upper mids and treble, then an abrupt cut off at 22khz. The analogue spectrum showed smooth rolloff into the 30khz range, with content visible in the mid-upper 20khz range. I compared my findings with others, and also based upon known info regarding Japanese pressings starting in the mid 80's, I now recommend avoiding post 1984 reissues, unless full AAA remastering can be verified.

timzigs likes this.
  7. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Agree to stay away from -ANY- Fake Stereo reissues

DeRosa likes this.
  8. Cutting that close to the label is not the norm, more of an exception, and with the disc spinning 35% faster the impact is mitigated.

I can hear the difference, so it is relevant to me. Maybe you cannot. That’s OK too

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Don't they have the mastering info on the insert? Any Japanese readers on the thread?!

10. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

huh? what's going on? I don't keep up with Music Matters all that much. I only have four of their releases and was thinking out picking up Freddie Hubbard 'Ready For Freddie', now I see it's out of stock along with just about everything else.

Are they switching all their re-issues over to that SRX format?

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I think just like BN and the TP series, we are just going to have to wait and see what and if MM plans on doing for 2020.

12. hfarrior3

Holy Moly these prices have shot up on Discogs! Glad I got the few that I did. Surely no one is paying $120 for a 33 1/3.

13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Check the Sold listings. I am sure someone has bit on a $120 MM or two by now.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Sealed copies of Blue Train and Idle Moments go higher than that, for two examples.

15. hfarrior3

I got on 'Somethin' Else' 'Moanin' ' 'Cool Strutin' and 'Midnight Blue' a few years back.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

All great titles. If you keep an eye on eBay or post a WTB ad in the Classifieds, you can still find nice deals on NM copies of a lot of the 33s

...and don't discount the AP 45s. Lotta great deals on sealed ones to be had.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  17. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

recstar24 and bluemooze like this.
  18. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Spinning Paul Chambers Quintet right now. Musically, it’s pretty straightforward, sonically I really enjoy it. I love this era of RVG recordings in Hackensack - you’re put right into his parents living room.

recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  19. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

6th

The 45 is the weakest of all the MM titles for sound. It fares poorly when compared to the Classic Records 33. I have not heard the MM 33.

20. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I confirm that the C.R. mono is very good,like almost every one titles C.R. mono serie,but here are all in love with M.M...

kt66brooklyn and DeRosa like this.
  21. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I just picked this up along with Cliff Craft, and both surprised me with how good they sound. The space on these 45's really brings out the smoothness in Jordan's tones, and Chambers playing on Quintet is quite distinct and lively. Not that these are not on par with others, but I've really been enjoying some of the "less popular" MMJ's lately. Great sound is addicting :cool:

22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You could go a whole week!

birchstick, SJR and timzigs like this.
  25. Giorgiovinyl

Giorgiovinyl Forum Resident

I am going to place my first order directly to Music Matters, until now I was discouraged by the shipping and customs cost to Europe.
    I am a sort of newbie I have only 6 MM 33, but almost all the Tone Poet, far more cheap here in Europe.
    I was thinking to order some SRX, because a some I really would like are out of print. Adam's Apple, A night in Tunisia for example.
    I even considered to order the complete SRX set, that should be a good option if MM will continue to press SRX titles but I would like too to try some 45 that are preferite records of mine.
    I would like to have some advice from you, which do you think is better, 45, 33 or SRX?
    One example Tina Brooks True Blue, better grab the 33 or the 45, the second costs just 5$ more.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019