Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As for number 3: They are working for Don Was and Co. I would imagine 33 is preferred for sales also. Many people just dont like the 45 format due to interruption/flipping. Less customer alienation. 45s are very niche, 33s not so much. And much cheaper.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For sound quality? the 45. Thats not to say the 33 sounds bad. It sounds great. But different.

Depends also on how much you mind the getting up and flipping every 10 minutes.

nosliw and Giorgiovinyl like this.
  3. Giorgiovinyl

Giorgiovinyl Forum Resident

In this matter I prefer the 33 they let allow to concentrate on the music as it was intended

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

There is your answer then.

5. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

You can use the search function to research what others have said regarding specific 33 vs 45 rpm titles. I've found this quite helpful, although not always conclusive. For example, with Out To Lunch, there was no clear preference so I had to hear it for myself and prefer the 33.

Although there are some exceptions, in general you'll find that the 33's are reported to be more centered and up-front, whereas the 45's are more spacious and relaxed (see explanations a few pages back). Some of the MMJ 45's are the best-sounding records in my collection.

6. I have 45s and they sound amazing but I’d always choose a 33 first. This sort of music is meant to be listened to with the least amount of interruptions. You want the groove to continue and the constant flipping can become more of a science experiment over wonderful musical enjoyment.

Just my personal take on it.

robd2, Bobsblkwax, jgrillo and 2 others like this.
  7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

For me, it depends on the title. If it's high on my list, I go for the best sound, otherwise convenience wins out. There are a select few where I would double-dip (i.e. Happenings).

Vic Trola and Mazzy like this.
  8. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I’d have to agree with you in terms of 33’s for the sheer experience of listening. BUT, when left with no option but a 45, damn they can sound good. Like this one that’s been spinning since arriving...
    [​IMG]
    Remarkably it’s the tamest of the Sam Rivers albums I’ve been listening to today. It’s an experience of a record.

djost, Chris Bernhardt, SJR and 3 others like this.
  9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I really don't mind the flipping at all. Keeps me engaged if nothing else. If I just need music as background noise while doing something else, do I really need an audiophile experience anyway? That's where streaming makes sense.

NorthNY Mark and Admerr like this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Great point. I started with the 33s and thought the flipping of 45s would bother me, but it doesn't for the reason you stated.

musictoad likes this.
  11. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

The sleeper in the 45 category is that Elvin Jones 'Genesis' title. Can't rave enough about it and there's not a person I've recommended it to who hasn't fallen in love with it. Grab it while you can or you'll be crying tears of remorse into your pillow of regrets.

12. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm so torn. Everyone gushes over it but I just can't get into it when I stream it.

robd2 and Vic Trola like this.
  13. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

The AP 45 RPM version kills :if you close your eyes ,you can"see" the Green fingers around the guitar strings all life size ,behind the loudspeakers ,almost behind the front wall .This at my home and with my equipments.
    The 45 RPM greater speed add dynamics and feeling of presence and rarely use a cable or a vynil formula can have these performance at a lower speed.

SJR and Jellis77 like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

That Genesis is cheap right now...just sayin

15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Not everyone. :unhunh:

Mugrug12, musictoad and AaronW like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I bet that AP 45 sounds great too, but I jumped on the MM 33 when I found out that it was back in stock (if only for a couple of hours). I've got a few MM 33 and 45 albums and I agree that the 45 sound is better, albeit marginally for me.
    I also agree that with the extra flipping of sides and not being able to just sit back and listen without getting up every 10 minutes or so can be inconvenient at times. I also enjoy streaming when I'm busy cooking or casually listening too.

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

count me as one that vastly prefers the MM33 sound wise. I owned the AP45 prior - listened to it once, thought it was totally boring sounding and a snooze fest, never listened to it again. When I got the MM33, I got that “aha” moment and realized “this is what it is supposed to sound like”. Sold the AP45 that same night, and listened to the MM33 last night for the upteenth time.

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Interesting. I only have a handful of AP jazz titles — Time Out on 45, which sounds great, and some Coltrane and Miles. For me though, MM 33 or 45, you can't go wrong.

19. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

33 vs. 45..... Convenience versus sound quality (and listening quality). But not digital convenience versus analog, more, as noted above, the lessening of getting up as often. HOWEVER, there is a very valid argument to be made for 45's. Quality of listening. By that I mean, when you're only being required to listen for 15 minute (or so) stretches, one tends to concentrate just a bit more on what one is listening to - at least that's my take and how it works for me. So if I really want to listen to the music, and not get lost when, let's say, a track I'm not enamored with comes up, I'm more than happy to pull a 45 out.

Just my 2 cents....

musictoad and SJR like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

33 vs 45..

see also part 4 ....part 6...oh..part 3......and lets not forget part 5

;)

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I'm feeling another jazz sorta day — today, I'm delving into the more experimental/avant-garde side of Blue Note, starting with . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/1985 (US DMM) Blue Note ‎– BST 84163

I really want to upgrade to the MM 33 or 45, but this sounds pretty good to me.

JMCIII, timzigs, musictoad and 2 others like this.
  22. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I got the 33 very recently and, with more seasoned opinions out there, I’m sure either way you’d go straight to heaven with sound. It’s an experience on a different level from where I knew the album before.

timzigs and SJR like this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, I'm sure the sound is excellent either way. I've just checked and the 33 is OOS, so it looks like I'll go for the 45! I'll have this DMM 33, which sounds pretty good (it was sealed when I bought it a few months ago) as backup :righton:

Crazysteve and Fender Relic like this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have a nr. mint DMM 33 Out To Lunch and I'm happy with it and it only cost me about $2.50. It's always a treat to hear any MMJ BN version though because you know it's going to be better.

SJR likes this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Which record are we talking about?