Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Dang I was hoping to grab that one at some point.
    Seems kind of weird that they wouldn't repress such a good-selling title. But what do I know?

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Is it possible that they have sold out their license to press it?

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I think this is the case. I thought the SRX were pressed of titles that had leftover / unprinted copies / issues left on their respective licenses.

4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Agreed. One of the most surprising MMJ’s for me. You’re beyond the front row...you’re on stage with the band. Fabulous.

5. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Someone can check me on this, but I remember the original discussion mentioning that they were initially pressing only 500 of each title, from a set of 1500. It doesn't seem like anything that went out of stock ever came back, so I'm doubtful they have pressed them all.

With the earlier series, though, we know that many titles were not pressed to the full 2500 or 3500 numbers, due to slow sales, and it may be that Ron isn't confident that the demand is there to repress these, if there's a risk of sitting on thousands of dollars of inventory.

nosliw and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yah. Listening now. The drums are beyond perfect. The way the hi hat sizzles a little more forward in the sound stage over the other instruments is startling real.

7. I recall that as well. The only title I was under the impression had hit the max was Blue Train. Coincidentally, that’s the title of which there are rumblings of a repress. :confused:

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

How’s Elusive Disc for packaging and shipping? Have a decent order ready to go but see some complaints from a year or so ago about flimsy mailers.

9. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Very good - no problems here.

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Have always been great for me.

Vic Trola, nosliw, recstar24 and 4 others like this.
  11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

That is either a complaint from somebody confusing orders with a different company or totally off the rails of reason.

They package like concrete. 1-2 LPs get a Whiplash style mailer and larger orders are double boxed. Zero issues. A+ packaging all the way.

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thanks guys, I placed my order.
    33 of Point of Departure (MMJ has it for $75, elusive has it for $60)
    45 of Stylings of Silver numbered (same price as MMJ)
    33 Buddy Holly s/t AP (I have the AP Chirping Crickets and have been meaning to get the s/t for a while now)
    Free shipping, saved $25 from MMJ.

I have other MMJ titles as maybes, but waiting to see if any of them will be SRXs. It took me a while to get into Point of Departure, but lately I keep coming back to it, even if I'm not sure its a favorite yet, its definitely compelling and the MMJ sound quality of it seems very highly regarded. Stylings of Silver for some reason has really grabbed me too, more than any other Horace Silver so far.

nosliw, Guitarded and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Glad to hear you are grabbing Point of Departure! It's a challenging listen at first but unravels over time as you get familiar with it. I haven't heard the MMJ 33 (I have the 45) but I can tell you this album really benefits a ton from the MMJ treatment. It was the very first one I got so it has a special place for me. Let us know what you think when you get it.

14. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Funny this should come up. I just received an order from them today and I was a little concerned to see a bulge in one side of the box. Opening it up, I found that the inner box was packed overly full, and while there was some bubble wrap between the inner and outer boxes, I'm imagining the pressure being applied to the contents if other boxes were stacked on top. :-(

On unpacking, it looks like the Starker Bach box (which was on top) may be warped, but I'll have to wait until later to unpack things fully. I only had time to run home and rescue the box from the freezing rain when FedEx left it out on my stoop (without warning, as their system said it was still 2000 km away when I checked before heading to work a couple hours earlier).

That said, that's the first time I've had a concern with their packing. And I suspect that what happened is that my order was just slightly over the capacity of their boxes, and they were trying to avoid having to ship two boxes (internationally). Of course, I would rather they had contacted me and asked if I might want to drop something instead of compromising on their normally stellar packing.

Fortunately, their customer service has always been stellar so far, so I'm hopeful that if anything is wrong, they will fix it. Still, I might suggest waiting until the BF rush has cleared a bit before placing an order, just in case that had something to do with the glitches with my order. (They also failed to include a replacement disc that had been set aside for my next order, even though it was mentioned in my notes, and referenced on the packing sheet. Just not my day, I guess.)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    patient_ot and guidedbyvoices like this.
  15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

IMO, any "warping" could not likely be due to what you've described as regards the packaging.

But yeah, there are those "between" orders. In my experience they deal with those reasonably. I don't expect them to put two double 45RPM LPs into a double boxing system like they would if I ordered 4-5 of them.

All I'm saying is I would never hesitate to order from them. And the notion that they have ever used "flimsy mailers" is ridiculous by any reasonable measurement in my view.

16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Awesome. They don't skimp on Mailers or anything else.

patient_ot and guidedbyvoices like this.
  17. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

True. Poor choice of word on my part. The box looks slightly concave. Here's hoping that the contents are not similarly misshapened.

18. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I got my Starker box not too long ago and it was just astonishing to hear. Hoping yours is okay, suspecting it's fine. Enjoy the incredible sounds from this one.

19. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Which box set are you two referring to?

20. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I was referring to the Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites. I got the 3LP set, rather than the 6LP set. I was kind of second guessing myself for "cheaping out" for the 33 instead of 45, but it really sounds incredible.

Vic Trola, Twinsfan007 and patient_ot like this.
  21. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Nice to know. I want to get it. I just don't know if i should wait for the 45 box set or just get the 33 (for about half the price).

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  22. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Just for clarity these are two different releases - the 33 is by Speakers Corner and came out in 2004 mastered by Willem Makee. The 45 edition is from Analogue Productions and has yet to be released.

23. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I just got Dexter Gordon’s Doin’ Allright double LP 45RPM pressing last night. I’ll take a spin of that album soon.

24. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

That’s a great set and I credit it for opening my ears to how good classical can be. It’s an amazing entry point for a nube and an amazing sounding set for everyone else as well.

25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Ok, who snagged Mosaic for $55 over on Discogs?

And another :righton: for Elusive Disc.