Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Doin' Allright was one of my first forays into BN. I picked up a NM Liberty copy for cheap that sounds fantastic to this day. Of course, I had to track down the MMJ version as well (and the BN80). Those first notes of "I Was Doing All Right" put a big fat smile on my face every time. And it's pure Dex bliss on "Society Red". I'm quite a few benjamins removed since then, but a whole lot happier with my Blue Notes. Hope you enjoy the record as much as I do. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    nosliw and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I know this isn't a Music Matters release but given I think most people following this thread would be interested I think it warrants a little detour.

Acoustic Sounds has the Analogue Productions 45 RPM of Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady in stock for $50. I just picked up a copy with their 10% off code. I think it was OOS for a long while so go grab one if you don't have it.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. Grabbed that on the Black Friday deal along with a couple other Mingus titles. Excited for those.

Gil Evans - Out of the Cool is also back in stock after being OOS for a long time.

timzigs and musictoad like this.
  4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I just picked up Pithecanthropus Erectus on Speakers Corner at AS before it goes OOP.

5. Dobby92

Dobby92 Forum Resident

I'm really hoping for SRX releases of Mode for Joe, Gigolo and Ready for Freddie in 2020.

6. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I'm hoping for an SRX Mode For Joe as well. It's pretty much the only title that I don't have and still really want, but not to the point of paying $100 for the 45.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  7. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I would like an SRX version of Una Mas.

G E likes this.
  8. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Blue Note recently rereleased it on black vinyl, mastered by Kevin Gray. I would love to see some new titles on SRX vinyl. Byrd in flight, Sonny Clark Trio?

Admerr and timzigs like this.
  9. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Ehh, i guess that might work. I would still rather have it on the SRX formula. I wonder about Lee Morgan - Sidewinder potentially being a repress on SRX.

recstar24 and AllenR like this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

There were two new SRX titles last go-round, correct? I wouldn't mind seeing Lee Morgan's Sonic Boom or some more Jackie Mac post-bop...or how bout Infinity for a nice combination. And sooner or later, someone has to do Turrentine's That's Where It's At...such a gem of a record.

Aeryn Sun and mikeyt like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ready for Freddie already has an MM 45 and 33. I see they’re both out of stock but would they go for a third round?

Since it just got a BN80 I doubt this one. The titles MM released that now have a BN80 they seemed to have cut prices and can’t give away - dexter’s two for example.

I’m hoping for the Soothsayer myself

Elofan likes this.
  12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Where can you find the cut prices? Asking for a friend.;)

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ha well maybe not as many slashed prices as I remember seeing but in the MMJ site a bunch are at $50 and under

Fender Relic likes this.
  14. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Una Mas was sold out before the BN80 was released. I was stoked to get this one on BN80 but it turned out to have speed problems like almost everything they've released, so I would LOVE to see this on SRX if they could somehow just source it from the previous metalwork.

I would not be shocked if we get some 45RPM SRX reissues taken from previous stampers. We're at the point where nearly every album with piano coming out of Cohearant/RTI is wobbling all over the place, and I cannot imagine Ron would take a chance with fresh SRX releases done with this chain. If we get another batch my guess is still that it will be stuff from previous stampers before this problem with flutter started, and if they do any new ones it will very likely be titles without piano.

That would be great. :righton:

Elofan and Twinsfan007 like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This is the first time I've heard of any speed problems on the 80th BN series

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

17. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Unreal. It’s officially impossible to read a Blue Note thread on here without someone whining about flutter. Every. Single. Thread.

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

This is, at it's heart, an audiophile forum.

AaronW, Vic Trola, Elofan and 2 others like this.
  19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Sadly, this seems to be changing more and more.

If I want to read nothing but praise for something I can sort by 5 star reviews on Amazon and go nuts.

I come here to get a bit of reality.

Bottom line is that if Blue Note don't want "whining" about flutter, then they have to get a handle on the problem. Fingers crossed that this never impacts MM, but given that they use the same chain it's obviously a concern.

I've given my prediction that if they do more SRX titles they will mostly be redos. And that is absolutely fine by me. It would break my jazz-loving heart if my favorite reissue label of all time started putting out stuff with the problems plaguing the other two Blue Note series these days. And I don't think Ron would ever let that happen, so I expect mostly stuff from previous stampers if they do some this year.

Vic Trola, nosliw and mikeyt like this.
  20. Well 10% of the buyers listening are definitely hearing it. And for some, those records are unlistenable.

It is a real issue for a segment here.

Vic Trola, Elofan and GentleSenator like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Elofan likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Where did you pick up that number from?

23. From a jazz statistician I met at the village vanguard in ‘78.

Aeryn Sun, Vic Trola, Elofan and 3 others like this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Did he go to Trump U.?
    :tiphat:

25. I’ve heard one single report of Una Mas BN80 speed issues and nothing further. Have you heard the disc? How bad are the speed issues? SRX using previous metal would have to be at 45rpm. Chances are slim to none.

nosliw and recstar24 like this.