Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. I rarely double dip on MMJs but Point of Departure may be my favorite album in the series. Has anyone compared the 45 and 33 head to head? Does the 33 hold it’s own? I may have to pick it up for times I don’t want to deal with the extra involvement (flipping) of the 45

2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

unfortunately never have heard the 45 only own the 33 but based on how silly looking I must have looked like to my wife after my jaw dropping numerous times listening to the 33 I don’t think you can go wrong

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I agree the 33 sounds fantastic. Lots of separation and space just in my first non-concentrated listen.

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

These 33 releases are ALWAYS going to hold their own. The 45s are often an improvement sonically in some ways to some tastes, but any of these masterings are mostly significantly superior to pressings from decades ago, for the most part. There are many here who think the extra couple of flips to play the 45 is worth the improvement. Others prefer the 33s, either for sonics or for convenience. The 33s tend to be more forward sounding, while the 45s tend to be more relaxed and a bit more spacious. But it's not a night and day difference either. I haven't heard either of the pressings of Point Of Departure, but I have always preferred the 45 overall when I have been able to compare both.

Aeryn Sun and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  5. jstarboy

jstarboy Well-Known Member

Perfectly expressed and echoes my sentiments exactly. Regarding Point of Departure specifically, the 33 is amazing, but I preferred the 45 because of the spaciousness and separation it affords. 9 times out of 10, an MM45 wins out over an MM33 for me because of the attributes AnalogJ described.

6. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

I am sure this has been done before, but I would love to hear which of the 33s people generally agree sound better than their 45 counterpart. I think I have heard the 33 Midnight Blue may be a candidate and it is one of the best sounding, most "in the room," listens in my collection - but I have not heard the 45.

timzigs likes this.
  7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Did MM stop accepting Paypal?

8. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Speaking of 45's, Mosaic just landed this evening and man this things sounds sweet as honey. Streaming it just didn't do it justice. I'm guessing this record was done when Kevin Gray had all his upgrades in place and was really dialed in to the best sound possible. I don't know how many times I've said that this was my last Blakey record, but I keep getting sucked back in. And Fuller's trombone just soars!

9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

my first ever MM. Within seconds of that first horn blast, I literally chuckled like Goofy. The tonal density on that one is through the roof.

timzigs and jgrillo like this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

My only direct comparison has been Out to Lunch, but I preferred the 33 over the 45 by a thin margin. YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  11. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

I just emailed them to ask, Carol replied and said they’re fixing it.

timzigs likes this.
  12. Interesting. Out to Lunch was another one on which I was considering double dipping until the 33 went out of stock. What made you prefer the 33?

13. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Honestly, I didn't feel quite the spaciousness nor clarity with this particular 45 as I did with a lot of the others. And being that this session kinda jolts, jabs and takes a few sharp turns, I found the the bolder, more out-in-front presentation of the 33 a tad more appealing.

mikeyt and Greenmonster2420 like this.

14. Nice, I am keeping my eyes peeled for a 33 copy if I come across one for a good price.

15. John Boy

John Boy Forum Resident

I have all the 45rpm and 33rpm titles, within the MM catalogue the 45rpms win hands down, how much of a difference depends on each specific title. Out to Lunch 45rpm is better than the 33rpm, better articulation of the emotion and dynamic swings in the music. The 45rpm brings more weight to the instruments giving them more force and drive the highs bleed into infinity. Matador is similar. Crossing to the AP the 45rpm Moanin is stunning, same with Page One.

16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I have this nagging feeling to tell you to turn up the volume when you play the 45. You’ll get your punch. :p

YEX 750-1, timzigs and recstar24 like this.
  17. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

So I was directed, happily, to elusive disc for a more reasonably priced Us Three. That turned into 6 in total. This is the definition of passion, not the rabbit hole. Right? Shades of Redd, Genesis, Page One, Jubilee Shout!!! and Undercurrent got added to the order. Each of which I’ve wanted to get and were ok priced. So stoked!
    I respect you members for your insights and how you help my journey and expanding my musical knowledge. The tidbits are what make this joint useful, but it is about finding quality tunes first and foremost. I’m so pumped about this delivery and I appreciate all of your insights that led to this joy. Cheers y’all

Bryce, lbloom, Dobby92 and 5 others like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

More Tina (posted Minor Move Tone Poet release in another thread) — this sounds incredible, a (his) masterpiece . . .

[​IMG]
    1960/2008 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST 84041, Blue Note ‎– BST 84041
    KPG&SH@ATM

19. Does anyone have info as to when we could expect an announcement on upcoming SRX titles? I want to order a few more titles, but would like to hold off until the next batch is announced to prevent over spending on the secondary market.

20. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Last year they started announcing titles around 18 December, one title per day for 12 days, until the new year. At least that is what I remembered.

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

soon ;)

PATB, spacecoyote, wellers73 and 5 others like this.
  22. spacecoyote

There’s a new “wishlist” feature on the MMJ website.

indiana45s and musictoad like this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Cool. Too bad most of my wishlist is out of stock.
    Looks like a few price jumps. Page One just jumped from $50 to $75. Gather ye 33s while ye may

24. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Interesting. Seemingly some new website features rolling out. The SRX page shows the ability to organize by price. A very select few of the 45s now have "Email when back in stock" links on their pages... I see it on Happenings, Inventions, Speak No Evil (45)...

mikeyt likes this.
  25. spacecoyote

Most of my wishlist has been out of stock for a year or longer. Why would they add that feature now, if they weren’t going to press more?

I’m willing to bet that they renewed the licenses on a whole bunch of old titles.