Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

While we're waiting for the new SRX's to drop, I thought I'd take a stab at my top 10 MMJ's ending 2019.

1. Joe Henderson - Mode for Joe
    2. Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions
    3. Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil 33
    4. Jackie Mclean - One Step Beyond
    5. Joe Henderson - In 'N Out
    6. Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song
    7. Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings
    8. Grachan Moncur - Evolution
    9. Kenny Dorham - Una Mas
    10. Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shout

2. Don’t do this to me, Tim :laugh:

:help:

musictoad and timzigs like this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ditto!
    Isn't this a notoriously thin sounding RVG in general? I'm definitely curious if KG could bring out more low end, more definition between the crowded lineup.

4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I have a UA black on blue Mode for Joe and the MMJ is just a whole new experience. I'm not going to say it's the best sounding of the bunch, but yes, there is a lot more punch and and low end on the MMJ. It's the combination of the songwriting, line-up, playing, and MMJ spark that puts Mode for Joe on the top of my list.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Good Vibes, mikeyt, musictoad and 2 others like this.
  5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Agreed it’s not thin at all. It’s a very dense recording and can be on the verge on congested at times but the music and playing are incredible. Probably the highest energy session of any I own as well.

6. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

agree with most of these but as far as best sounding I would have to throw sonny Clarke leapin and lopin which just sounds amazing on the MM 45 and also Lee Morgan’s search for a new land.

7. guidedbyvoices

Oh no here my list is getting longer again. I love Leapin but my old BN75 was surprisingly decent. It’s been on my maybe list for years but I always grab something else.

Ron Jones likes this.
  8. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Sorry for the stupid question but do I have to buy the complete SRX set to get the out of print SRX titles? Or will they get repressed?

9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah, Leapin' is a great record and probably my fave from him. I had the BN75 for a couple years before caving on the MMJ. I recall the BN75 sounding pretty decent and can probably do a comparison sometime this week.

bkbk likes this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

Obviously I don’t expect the BN75 to better the MM, but since it seems to be one of the better ones, it’d be interesting to get your impressions

It’s my favorite of his too. That song with Ike Quebec is killer. Cool Struttin is great obviously but that one for me seems to be about the great ensemble especially Jackie, Sonny’s songs are great but his playing is a little overshadowed by everyone else. Leapin his playing is just so damn great.

11. guidedbyvoices

No one knows really what MMJ will do in the future. As of today it’s the only way to get those titles from MMJ. Always possible they’ll break up some of the complete sets and sell individually again but I’m not counting on it.

Marko K likes this.
  12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

And I scored yet another MMJ release, Kenny Dorham's Una Mas double LP 45RPM, through eBay. This time, it's a test pressing with the retail album cover!

As far as I'm aware, these test pressings were sent to audiophile reviewers and a select handful of people, which Steve Hoffman had a couple MMJ test pressing giveaway contests here over 10+ years ago. Does anyone know how many copies of the test pressings were made per release? I'm thinking it's around at least 20-25 copies but it'd be nice to confirm.

13. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

That's a fine list. I don't have (and have not heard) the Bobby Hutcherson Happenings nor the Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil so I have no opinion of those. But the crown jewel in the series for me is absent from your list. Grant Green Street of Dreams. Not something I listen to often, but that's the pick of the whole litter for me. Not a real bacon and eggs offering, more caviar and duck pate -- but once in a while I treat myself to such delicacies. Another one would be the Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch.

14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

@MisterBritt, I think we'd all enjoy seeing your top 10! :)

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I just checked the RTI website under vinyl services and it’s a standard 10 TP’s offered for the high quality 180 gram pressings. They offer additional test pressings for extra cost with a maximum of 40, but my educated guess is that Ron kept it at the standard 10 test pressings that would have come with his order initially.

timzigs, nosliw and MisterBritt like this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

just spun the green street of dreams last night. The sound is incredibly “luscious” and there is something about the groove that is very spacious, laid back and really settled into the pocket that sticks out for sure from the other MM’s.

musictoad and MisterBritt like this.
  17. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I was feeling a little reckless with my bank account and bought Grant Green "Solid", along with Art Blakey "Free For All" and "Big Beat".

SJR, Stu02, Eric_B and 2 others like this.
  18. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Thanks for the encouragement/assurances re the 45 issue, gents. Just placed my first MM order ever -- The Real McCoy and Inner Urge. At $65 and $60 I have no doubt I'll get good value for money out of these pups.

19. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

I’m holping that this will be an SRX title...pure speculation, but fingers crossed!

MisterBritt and blutiga like this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

Me too. I love the album but it’s one I like to get lost in the groove of it, and would much prefer it as a 33

blutiga likes this.
  21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I’m going to make another type of list. If I could only own a collection of 10 titles, what would they be? This is a bit different than 10 “best.”

In no particular order.

Wayne Shorter - The Soothsayer
    Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
    Tina Brooks - True Blue (45)
    Joe Henderson - Inner Urge (45)
    Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
    Grachan Moncur III - Evolution
    Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer
    Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator
    Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land

mikeyt, SJR, timzigs and 4 others like this.
  22. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I figured as such that test pressings are usually between 5-10 on average on most releases out there, irrespective of the album/single. I've seen cases when 20 to 50 copies were made, some to sell at a much higher premium or given away to artists in a form of "royalty" copies. I sent a message to the seller to see if he can answer the question with the Una Mas test pressing.

The seller mentioned that in the auction's description that the retail version of Una Mas is limited to 750 copies. I thought they're usually made between 2,500-3,000 copies each, as per the hype sticker for a whole bunch of MMJ releases? Does it depend on the stipulations of the licensing rights/obligations?

23. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

Curious what you mean about Street of Dreams being the pick of the litter, but also being more a delicacy than staple? I love Grant Green, but don't have that one.

timzigs and MisterBritt like this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I like Grant Green but Street Of Dreams is far from my favorite.

metalrules and MisterBritt like this.
  25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Out to Lunch
    Idle Moments
    Empyrean Isles
    Maiden Voyage
    Point of Departure
    Happenings
    One Step Beyond
    Evolution
    Search for the New Land
    Speak No Evil

It's too hard to pick just ten, but that's my best shot.

SJR, timzigs, Stu02 and 5 others like this.