Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

They are in a 2 per month release schedule. Look for that one to come in stock in May.

2. Yeah I think I have a lot to tide me over. But I’ll write again after the holiday weekend.

alarickc likes this.
  3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

So this is all new to me - MMJ records and such. I just placed an order for the SRX Moanin' and am thinking about getting a copy of Indestructible as well. I take it no one has received Moanin' yet, correct, to comment on how it sounds? I don't have other copies of either, so I figure just going to these SRX, I probably won't want for much else.

4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

it’s out of stock because it’s not out until May. All of the new 2020 srx titles are all listed, but the ones after January are listed as out of stock. So if you really want that title, I’d just hold off until may. I’ve got a normal MM33 but that is one of the few I plan on double dipping.

AnalogJ and mikeyt like this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Moanin' is an astoundingly well-recorded title. I have the AP 45rpm and it's one of the best sounding jazz records I have, not to mention that it's my favorite Art Blakey. I have the 45rpm of Indestructible, one of the best Blakey titles as well, and great sounding. You can't go wrong with either. They're both right up there with the best of Art Blakey along with great sound.

6. toddrhodes

Then you'll be happy to know I ordered the 45 RPM Indestructible, the 2019 33 RPM Free For All, and since I don't have Blue Train on vinyl, I picked up the 2020 SRX of that as well. Not been a cheap night, but I've really, really been enjoying starting out each listening night with a Jazz record. Just something about it sets the rest of my choices up better, than if I just pull something random off the shelf.

Dmann201, johnpisme, Cervelo and 3 others like this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

those 4 MM’s are all essential and you totally hit a homerun on your first MM order. Congrats and enjoy.

Cervelo and toddrhodes like this.
  8. toddrhodes

That makes me feel better :) Will post up what I think when I can. Latest upgrades I've made to the system as a whole and the analog chain in part have really made it so great pressings of my Jazz collection just sort of transport me to a different place. Love it :)

9. AnalogJ

Oh. Thanks. It's weird, because I thought for a few seconds that I had missed out on the title, and I have tried to keep up to date with the releases.

For those relatively new to MM, the SRX of Lou Donaldson's Blues Walk may be my favorite of the SRXs I picked up (If I already had a MM or AP of it, I didn't buy it).

10. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

The BN80 of Indestructible sounds awesome as well if you want to spend ~$22 instead of MMJ prices. The jacket isn’t as nice but the SQ is pretty much equal

RyeB, Starquest, johnpisme and 2 others like this.
  11. AnalogJ

I already have the previous 33 of Blue Train, so I didn't bother with the SRX. Same mastering, just using SRX vinyl (if I recall correctly). I picked up the SRX Free For All, and that was not a record that I was familiar with. Man, it blew me away. I'm guessing that the 45rpm version would have accommodated the in-your-face aspect of the recording a little better, giving it a bit more breathing space, but that's just conjecture. It's still great at 33. What an album! The advantages of 45rpm especially shine with records that have denser music and ensembles. Records like Blakey's Indestructible, Free For All, and Moanin' would likely benefit by having the album stretched out onto 4-45rpm sides of vinyl.

12. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I didn’t get a chance to listen to these on my main system but it sounded like the 2nd of each clip “other pressing” was a little more punchy than the first.

Which is which?

timzigs likes this.
  13. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I just put on the 75th our Man In Paris asking myself do I need the upgrade. Doing that math for the free shipping on the others I need. gotta catch ‘em all...

14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I heard the same thing, but it was close.

15. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

"One Pressing" was the SRX
    "The Other Pressing" was the standard MMJ vinyl

timzigs and mikeyt like this.
  16. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I’m happy to hear that. I added that to my order of the two new SRX releases to get free shipping.

AnalogJ likes this.
  17. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Which one do you prefer?

18. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Good lord man...pull yourself together and get the MMJ. Use that 75th BN as a frisbee! Woooohoo!

johnpisme, JorgeGvb, DeRosa and 4 others like this.
  19. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing these! I can't really tell a difference between the Blue Train clips, but I think I prefer the second "I'm Old Fashioned."

20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I picked up Wayne Shorter-Adam's Apple SRX from the first 2019 batch and I just put it on for a lazy Sunday afternoon listen. I dunno, it could be my favorite Shorter album but it's sure sounding fine today. My only previous copy was a 70's blue label/black b which isn't up to the SRX MMJ being a bit more distant sounding and flat in comparison and also more surface noise. I usually don't like to rank albums because that can change over time but as of right now I'd probably go like this of the BN's I own. That could change later today as I plan to listen to all of them.:uhhuh:

1. Adam's Apple
    2.Night Dreamer
    3.Speak No Evil
    4.Etc.
    5.Schizophrenia
    6.Ju Ju

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Dmann201, Elofan, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  21. AnalogJ

Schizophrenia? That's crazy. :nyah:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Fender Relic likes this.
  22. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

And you did well ... the record is exceptional and now it's out of stock :)

LeeGriffin likes this.
  23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Nice list! my order is a little different but it’s amazing to look at the titles and realize how great his classic run on BN was. These are all some of the best jazz records, period.
    Also I think Soothsayer is better than etc (and maybe schizophrenia) so please grab that one! There is a cheap lp version mastered by Alan Yohsida that is not rare. I have the original Japanese release but I’d love to own the MM version... I think it goes for mucho clams-0.

24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Thanks. I thought I might have Soothsayer but no. I did just find The All Seeing Eye though as I'm pulling out the LP's one by one, forgot I had it. Speak No Evil is playing now and already I'm thinking of adjusting my ratings. I have to switch it with Night Dreamer or is it #1 now...AA #2 ND #3...it's useless to try and rank them now...love them all and will just let them wash over me the rest of the afternoon.:uhhuh:
    Maybe take a NFL playoff break and if a game gets out of hand get back to fountains of Wayne.

I guess some people would like to see a rematch of the first Super Bowl, KC & Green Bay. That's OK with me...apologies to Niners and Titans fans..I don't have a team to root for or against although I do like how Aaron Rodgers will catch the opponent with too many players on the field and do a quick snap to get the
    penalty yardage. Reminds me of a good baseball pitcher who knows how to pick off a base runner. He always
    seems one step ahead of other QB's mentally with natural talent and years of experience.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    timzigs, Starquest and Mugrug12 like this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Just for fun I would list them like this (at least today ;) )

1 speak no evil
    2 juju
    3 Adam’s apple
    4 night dreamer
    5 soothsayer
    6 schizophrenia

numbers 3 and 4 are tough for me to rank. Maybe they are tied or movable.
    Etc is good but not quite on the level of these 6 imo. All seeing eye while very ambitious doesn’t work too well for me. I like adventurous stuff but the experiment is not a great success for this fan! You might feel differently but anyone who doesn’t appreciate 20th century classical writing might exercise caution. :cool:

Stu02, timzigs, SJR and 1 other person like this.