Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Nope, I didn't know they did more than one test title. Now I have another white whale to seek out. :drool:

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Is the SRX unavailable? Yes, agree — this is a great album.

Joti Cover likes this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes, at 45rpm. The Speakers Corner, cut at 33 1/3, is excellent. How much better is the AP? Dunno.

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Wait, the original masters were lost a long time ago. What existed afterwards was a dub that had the hum, labeled master. I think that the AP issue came from a next generation safety tape that was in miraculous condition found in the family's home. And THOSE were lost in the Universal fire??

Help! A John Coltrane "A Love Supreme": Question

AP impulse! vinyl and SACD reissues

Jody Rosen on Twitter

5. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

Waterloo Records in Austin, TX has the following 2019 SRX releases in stock for $71.99.
    If you are not going into the store, you can email [email protected] to have them shipped to you.

Hank Mobley - Quintet (Out of Print on MM) - 4 Copies
    Joe Henderson - Inner Urge (Out of Print on MM) - 3 Copies
    Johnny Griffin - Vol. 2 A Blowing Session - 2 Copies
    Johnny Griffin - Introducing - 5 Copies
    Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban - 4 Copies

For the record, I am not associated with Waterloo in anyway. I just appreciate the hell out of them for keeping these titles in stock (even if they are a few bucks higher than the MM website) and want to help them move their product.

Dmann201, nosliw, scotti and 7 others like this.
  6. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

7. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Much appreciated! Might have to try to get one of those JoHens.

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Haha! I'm just a obsessed fan of that album. I own a lot of copies... If the superb tapes used to make the AP issue were really lost in the Universal fire, it would break my heart. I haven't had much interest in the MFSL One Step issues, but if they did A Love Supreme from those tapes I'll gladly give them my money.

9. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I'm the same way with Kind of Blue (I have about 40 different pressings of the album). What is your favorite A Love Supreme? The AP? I picked up 3 Japanese reissues from the 70s/80s a few months back and did a three-way shootout. I ended up keeping the 1976 rainbow label copy.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Sonically yes, the AP is my favorite. It's not too a big deal to me that Part III / IV are split across different sides, but IMO they do belong together and it would lovely if MM would branch off for a one-time release and put it on SRX 33rpm. A man can only dream.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Fractured and Vic Trola like this.
  11. AnalogJ

Have you personally heard the Speakers Corner?

12. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I snagged one last year on fleabay.
    That was the end of my Japanese Victor.
    Kevin Gray wiped the floor with it.

AnalogJ likes this.
  13. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Yes, MMJ list it as ‘Out of Stock.’ So far no promises to get it back in either.

SJR likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

Note: It can be helpful to restate to what the "it" refers. Some may not know.

Joti Cover and Clucking like this.
  15. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

I’m going to bite the bullet and pick up Blue Train SRX, Moanin’ SRX, and In Search of New Land 45rpm. My brother just started collecting so I’ll pass along my BN75’s to him. I doubt he’ll be overly bothered by the hisses, pops & clicking... somehow...

mikeyt, Eric_B, Elofan and 1 other person like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I got the SRX of this when they did the first batch. Really love how this sounds, all though I do prefer some of my other SRX titles more in regards to overall sound, especially Blues Walk, Inner Urge, and Free For All. I also agree that JC has better albums performance wise than Blue Train, but I still love that record. Similar in the way I enjoy Kind Of Blue, it's just Miles has much better albums in his library to my ears as well.

I know others have already talked about the Speakers Corner version of "Mingus At Antibes" that recently was released, but I had to wait for my local store until last week to get my copy (but got it for $49). This is easily one of the better SC titles I own (have around 15 titles) and just knocked out by this one. Cut by KG, but I don't think he mastered it. Bought it because of Eric Dolphy, but now this is my favorite release from Mingus. The sound on this for a live album is fantastic and the playing is sweet as can be! Really nice gatefold with the liner notes and some cool pics.

IanL, mikeyt, NorthNY Mark and 2 others like this.
  17. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

I wasn't reading theses boards for a few weeks and missed the SRX announcement. Most of the new titles are shown as out of stock on the MM site. Are they all sold?

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but they are not showing in stock until the release date I thought...that's why only Moanin' and Blue Train show in stock for now...

19. Sneezyachew

Correct

scotti likes this.
  20. Sneezyachew

I do wish you could pre-order. Also looking forward of Idle Moments and better copy of Somethin’ Else.

scotti likes this.
  21. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Yes, my apologies! Referring to Shorter’s Adam’s Apple (SRX).

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

(Speak No Evil SRX)

Been trying to catch up on some back pages of the thread and noticed your comment. I have an original of this title in fantastic shape that sounds great. So I was going to pass on this. But after listening to it again, this is such a great album, I'd deeply regret not getting the SRX version...another reason why I pay close attention to what others have to say.

mikeyt and recstar24 like this.
  23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Speak No Evil is (Arguably) my favourite Blue Note record period Scotti.

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Here's my logic - I love Wayne Shorter, Speak No Evil is y far my #1 most favorite and listened to jazz album period, I have the MM33 and it sounds great, but I simply don't care about double dipping and will double dip to my heart's content because that is what I want to do and it makes me happy :)

I don't feel that way about all of the SRX's (I have MM33 of Moanin and Blue Train and am NOT planning on double dipping those SRX), but for something as momentous as Speak No Evil, I think it's fine throwing caution to the wind and getting it if you have the means.

gov, NorthNY Mark, timzigs and 6 others like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have to agree this is one of the great ones of all time. Was just checking my copy and looks like the one I have is the second pressing from 1966 (Stereo). Cover and record are both in excellent shape. After the latest chatter here on it, I am so down with this and will order the day it's available...

And this line up, this makes most Rock super groups look like opening acts. with that said, might be a good idea to have another listen.