Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I realize the running joke across these threads is to answer a question with “buy it!” I have Somethin’ Else, done by Classic Records in ‘09, that plays wonderfully. Has anyone around here A-B’d the MMJ 33 with the Classic? I’d assume so, and was simply curious of any thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    recstar24, Marko K and MondoFanM like this.
  2. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Do you have any intel on whether Ron would consider/ or would be able to do Soothsayer at 33 SRX? If not, next time you speak/correspond with him, could you please put in that request for me? :)

Joti Cover and Elofan like this.
  3. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Forgive my ignorance but is Joe still with MMJ? On the press release it says mastered by Ron and Kevin

4. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I'd love to get the Blue Train SRX but with the shipping costs + import taxes to Europe it would cost me 126 US$... Unfortunately I can't justify spending that money for one single record.

Peterr, Crazysteve and magnet like this.
  5. Dougthesnail

Similar situation in Canada. Really a shame they switched to a direct model. Even at $80 I'd be more inclined to buy from Acoustic, Md, or Elusive.

nosliw and NicoRock like this.
  6. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

For me it is impossible to spend 74.95$ for a single record supposing that the shipping to Europe is free + no tax.

This game is not for everybody anymore, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    nosliw, PATB, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  7. That $75. for Blue Train is almost a bargain since folks are selling older MMJ copies for over $125 here and on discogs...

8. Dougthesnail

They are. Didn't think they had more licensed.

9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

They don't. Their last remaining batch was split in two by RTI and what's in stock is the second portion.

drkNRG likes this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

These titles were actually mastered back in the 2013-2015 era.
    They aren't new mastering, just RTI pressing more copies, this time
    using the SRX vinyl formula. Ron was in the studio with Kevin
    when these were cut, that's why there is KG&RR@CA in the deadwax,
    in most or all of the titles, i didn't check them all from this batch.

I don't think there is any "work" for Joe to do at MMJ these days,
    since they aren't doing any new projects. I suppose it depends on what
    you mean by "with". Is he a part owner? I don't know.

mikeyt, timzigs and Gabe Walters like this.
  11. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I wasn’t going to buy Moanin’ or Blue Train... but alas I am weak.

upgrading my 2006? LP+CD copies

It was starting to feeling weird to have audiophile worthy copies of obscure Blue Note titles but not the classics

lbloom, drkNRG and Sneezyachew like this.
  12. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

sometimes you gotta treat yourself! At least That’s what I say in the mirror every time I enter my cc info
    ;)

13. Dougthesnail

Thanks for the info. I assumed he was part owner, but it seems he's doing his own thing with the TP series so I dunno

14. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Exactly - I totally get it....feel similarly about Maiden Voyage....even w its 75.oo price-tag....oooh-la-la.

recstar24 likes this.
  15. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

That's why it would be great if Tone Poet could go back and do some of the classics that URP mucked up. They would absolutely sell.

DeRosa likes this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Will do! My gut says “no” simply because my feeling is that Ron was never too keen on that record and when we’ve talked about it, he’s always been like “it’s ok” lol. From our conversations, his favorite Shorter led BN is probably Adam’s apple. Whereas I think soothsayer is amazing, I’ve come to accept that Ron’s standard for reissuing is ridiculously high for the most part.

mikeyt, timzigs, musictoad and 2 others like this.
  17. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Oh well, for 33rpm purposes I guess I’ll have to stick with the King.

18. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I should add that my favorite Shorter is Speak No Evil as well, followed (in no specific order) by Soothsayer, Etc. and Adam’s Apple.

recstar24 likes this.
  19. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

It’s entirely unclear to me and maybe you all understand it better. Was the first wave and the second wave of Srx versions of Blue Train produced and sold, yet however many hundred copies weren’t released from RTI til now while MMJ jacked the price due to ‘scarcity?’ Or are the remaining copies being sold now under the thinking it’s also a 2020 release? I have enough thoughts on feeling gouged, and everyone is tired of that discussion. I am sincerely curious as to the facts around Blue Train specifically.

20. The Blue Train SRX has always been $75. The original formula vinyl was being sold for $75 as well before going OOS.

I get the gripes on price, but many of these titles couldn’t be had for under $100-$150 prior to this announcement. I’m pretty sure that a few titles have sold on the secondary market for $200+. Considering I missed out of the original MMJ release of these, most are a bargain at $75 and that’s not even considering the substantial (IMO) improvement that comes with the SRX formula.

Considering this along with the fact that many of these titles will be worth $150+ in a few short months when they are OOP makes every single one of these records a no brainer in my opinion.

DeRosa, Anselmo, Elofan and 8 others like this.
  21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Inspired play after seeing/reading a lot of Wayne Shorter posts — such a great album, side one in particular, with that killer one-two punch of the title track and Penelope (the rest is pretty great too) . . .

[​IMG]
    1965/1980/2019 Blue Note ‎– B0029357-01, Blue Note ‎– LT-1056
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG@CA

saskimo, Dmann201, scotti and 5 others like this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

After posting about Schizophrenia, which is another superb Shorter album (he had some run from '64-'74), here's my copy (if anyone's interested, I know it's not MM) — a UK Blue Note . . .

[​IMG]
    1969/1977 (UK) Blue Note ‎– BNS 40026

IanL, saskimo, Dmann201 and 7 others like this.
  23. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

So, as I understand we still dont know what will happen to the OOP SRX titles they released in 2019? More stock coming in or not? I see the bundle is now out of stock also.

24. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

I received an email notification that The Procrastinator is back in stock. That was a pleasant surprise.

At this point I think we should all be using the new features on the website, especially the “email me when back in stock”, as well as the wish list. That way MMJ will be able to reliably quantify interest in represses.

Dmann201, alarickc, SJR and 8 others like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I see that "Free For All" can still be had for $59, this is one of my favorite SRX titles and just the sheer power coming from these musicians make this release a must have. This one sounds ever so nice! Crank this one up and let it pin you up against your sweet spot.