Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

You might want to check back today. I believe they had been holding one for me and I told them early yesterday afternoon that I wouldn't be buying after all.

Pelts likes this.
  2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm going to give it chances to open up to me. If it doesn't click after a while I may see if someone wants to do a trade or something.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  3. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Ordered a copy back in December when BN had the 30% off sale going. Was backed for some time I guess. Finally shipped & should be spinning tomorrow!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Joti Cover, scotti and SJR like this.
  4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Awesome! You're in for a treat!

Joti Cover, scotti and Sneezyachew like this.
  5. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

If my experience is any indication...you may be getting some extras from the BN75th series LOL. But best of luck to you!

By the way for anyone who recalls my snafu with BN UMG it took me a bit to actually ship the records back to them. That was about 3 weeks ago and no sign of my order yet.

6. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Thank you Eric but it appears all have been paid for via PayPal. Perhaps I’ll call again next week

7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Been contemplating double dipping on a few remaining 45's. Any of these have a notable sonic advantage over the 33's?

Night Dreamer
    Gettin' Around
    Magnificent Thad Jones
    Search for the New Land
    Cape Verdean Blues
    Point of Departure

Anselmo likes this.
  8. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I have never heard the 33 of Search for A New Land but the 45 sounds so amazing that I can't believe the 33 could equal it.

timzigs and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  9. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Only know about search for new land and I loved the 45 over 33. I usually either have the 33 or 45 on all music matters releases and neither one is bad but I actually have both copies of this and the 45 is just more “clear”

mikeyt and timzigs like this.
  10. I can vouch that the 45s of Night Dreamer, Search for the New Land, and Point of Departure are all phenomenal. I have not compared any with their 33 counter parts. I sometimes worry about double dipping with a 33 as I find many of my “original formula” 33s quite noisy.

I’ve been considering double dipping on PoD as the 45 is my favorite MMJ from the entire series (that I own, at least). I don’t play it as much, though, as I really only listen to the 45s when I am listening critically - maybe 20% of my listening. I work from home so I listen a lot while I work, and shifting my focus from work every 10 min or so is difficult.

I will probably also grab the SRX of Search for ****s and giggles to compare. That’s a great album.

jgrillo, Anselmo, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  11. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

I would like to have the same news...

12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Night Dreamer Don't know on this one.
    Gettin' Around 33 is better.
    Magnificent Thad Jones 33 is better.
    Search for the New Land Would love to know. I'm not crazy about the 45. Missing some "life" to my ears. Will buy the SRX.
    Cape Verdean Blues These are very close. I prefer the 33 by a nose. If you have either one there isn't much point in worrying about which, IMO.
    Point of Departure Almost interchangeable. Double dipping would be silly, IMO.

13. kay bee

kay bee Well-Known Member

Night Dreamer is a personal favorite of mine. I generally prefer the experience of playing a 33 over a 45, even though I generally would take the sonics of the 45s. Night Dreamer is no different. Not to mention the 33 features a strange distorted sound for the first couple seconds of the final track, Armageddon, that has been pretty well documented on this thread. The 45 does not have it.

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I really enjoy Kenny Drew's playing . . .

[​IMG]1961/2014 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84059, Blue Note ‎– ST-84059 — KPG&RR@CA

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

16. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Moanin SRX sounds great btw. Piano especially sounds crystal clear and really is dynamic in the mix. Love the soundstage and clarity and the dead silent pressing .

Dmann201, metalrules, Elofan and 5 others like this.
  17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Right. I knew there was a reason I still had the 45 for Night Dreamer. Usually, I upgrade to the 33s as I find them better in nearly every case (Empyrean Isles being the only exception that comes to mind), but after reading about this here I didn't bother with the 33 for ND. The 45 is great.

18. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Oh, really? Wow. It does sound great (Whistle Stop), yet all of my MM titles do!

20. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

Updating a previous post in this thread for you all... I swung by Waterloo Records in Austin, TX today. They have two copies of Hank Mobley - Quintet SRX (Out of Print on MM) in stock for $71.99 .

If you are not going into the store, you can email [email protected] to have them shipped to you.

Admerr likes this.
  21. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Will any of these out of print titles be available again?

22. Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully no one beat me to the punch ;)

23. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Do they have any copies of Grant Green - Solid?

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

depends on title. But unless it’s part of this current crop of 2020 Srx, I would say it’s doubtful

25. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

They do not. The Mobley is the only OOS MM SRX release they have in stock.