Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Since no one has mentioned Donald Byrd lately, I'll chime in say what an incredibly smooth, lush-sounding record Royal Flush is. Since I'm probably in for less than a handful of the new SRX's, think I'll hop over to the website to secure a few more 45s :)

And +1 on The Golden Eight...those horns truly sound amazing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Anselmo, SJR, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I wonder what the "Surprise" could be that MM is working on...maybe a new run of releases??

Greenmonster2420 and MikeJedi like this.
  3. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, that wasn't recorded by RVG (it was in France, maybe?), though he did master the recording for vinyl.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  4. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Right, that's why I said it sounds different than the RVGs. :D

5. G E

G E Senior Member

I picked up “The Golden Eight” on a bit of a flyer... listened to snippets on Amazon and decided to get it. On gold vinyl too!

I think the gold vinyl option is lower price now. I paid a pretty premium for it.

It’s a great performance and wonderful sound. My listening comrade liked it so much he picked it up too.

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So I just joined the MMJ club.

I found Andrew Hill's Point of Departure 33RPM was $15 cheaper at ElusiveDisc, with cheaper shipping than the MMJ site to boot. I think I got their last copy :)

Looking forward to receiving it, one of my favourite Blue Notes.

7. G E

G E Senior Member

My turn to host the listening session this Saturday afternoon. I changed out my tubes in my phono preamp from all Mullard’s (1956 vintage) to Amperex, mostly of the same vintage. It will be interesting to hear the difference in textures and tones with the tube change.

and yes, we will spin lots of MMJ titles and probably Billie Holiday too. My friend just picked up several more MMJs. He decided he had to have some after hearing mine.

8. Man Royal Flush is so damn good. I really hope they bring it back in print for those that missed out. One of my favorite MMJs in my collection.

Nice snag!!! I’ve had that one in my cart for seemingly for ever over at Elusive but kept talking my self out of double dipping as I have the 45. I’m glad it went to someone starting their MMJ journey - the 45 is my personal favorite of the entire series.

I would love to see them do this one on SRX.

If they keep up with repressing the 33 series on SRX my wish list is as follows:

Point of Departure
    Blue and Sentimental
    Blue Hour
    Wahoo!
    Empyrean Isles

Honorable mention: Us Three and Out to Lunch

Fender Relic and brimuchmuze like this.
  9. periclimenes

Right you are! I misread your post as having said "all the other RVGs." Oops.

Greenmonster2420 and musictoad like this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Thanks guys — I’ll guess I’d better grab them then!

mikeyt and Morbius like this.
  11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

This comment about " Afro-Cuban" on Discogs: :shh:

jazzonwax
    March 9, 2019
    I've gone through a few copies of these and they all play way noisier than the 45 rpm version from Music Matters. Isn't this SRX formula supposed to be quieter? I've now only had 2 good sounding SRX pressings the rest were all noisier than the 45.

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The SRX are prone to static. But I haven't encontered a noisy one and I bought the whole set from 2019.

13. I agree - it could very well be static related. My Afro-Cuban SRX is dead quiet, as are all of my other SRX pressings. I have come across 2 SRXs that had any noise in play back and both were visual deformations to the disc. One warranted an exchange but the other was not major enough for me to exchange it - it just caused a few light ticks in the fadeout at the very end of the album.

MikeJedi and stenway like this.
  14. periclimenes

Here's a clip of my copy. There's a brief bit of silence and then you can hear when the needle hits the vinyl. It's quiet enough that tape hiss is very noticeable when it comes and goes between tracks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Lucca90 likes this.
  15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

My Adams Apple and Free for All SRX’s are dead quiet literally ;) Looking forward to my Afro Cuban! If for some reason it’s bad (I doubt it will be) I am sure MM will take care of it. :)

16. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Finally broke down and got Empyrean Isles from Acoustic Sounds for $90 after seeing yet another one sell on Ebay for $130. Hedging my bets against an SRX release, I’d hate to lose out on this one altogether.

17. All Prone to static ? I have all of last years SRX batch and I haven't experienced that at all ???

How is that even possible ?

dman23, Eigenvector and mikeyt like this.
  18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

45 SRX One-step, price $250 each. :biglaugh:

Clucking likes this.
  19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

LOL!!

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Really?

They were charged all to hell when I got mine and took quite a bit of effort to get them static free. Cleaning, rinsing and multiple shots with the Zerostat.

The inners were adhered like they were glued to the LPs when I opened them and the first one I played (without cleaning and de-static measures) was horribly noisy with static.

I am sure I have read the same from others, here.

21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I've owned three. Zero problems with any of them.

22. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

There are environmental conditions that can exacerbate or mitigate static charge of vinyl records, it’s best not to get bogged down by these tangential semantics.

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Please, some questions before continue buying the MM titles:

background:
    • I started to listen jazz around just 2 or 3 years ago, so I don't know about many albums.
    • I had around 8 of the 33 rpms (NOT SRX's), I brought them on ElusiveDisc some years ago for $39 each, then I stop to buy MM titles.
    • ElusiveDisc packing was great, very solid box around, all arrives without any damage.

questions:

1. I don't know why they increase the price from $39 to $59. But seriously, why some titles price is $59 and others $75, why the difference?

2. Elusive Disc don't sell the SRX's or any other store?, I just ask because I see a picture of a MM packing here on the forum and scared me, weak packing.

3. The actual sold out SRX's titles never will be released again? come on! just print more, we want buy!

4. How know how many copies left? by example check the page today to buy a couple and and Art Blakey - Moanin' is out of stock :shake:, MM alert when they had low numbers on some titles? You know on a newsletter or something?

By example: I need pick one between this 4 due they are in stock:
    • Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin
    • Johnny Griffin - Vol. 2 A Blowing Session
    • Art Blakey - Free For All
    • Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban
    I only know Afro Cuban, (great album) :hide: but maybe I should buy Art Blakey - Free For All due maybe is a top seller album? and will soon go out of stock, I think you got my point on this. Any recommendation is welcome.

5. The 'Tone Poet' series have a great price of $30 :righton: and seems have the same press quality of the MM (yes yes MM has the SRX thing, but you got the point). So why 'Tone Poet' costs much less? maybe because 'Tone Poet titles are not TOP blue note titles? Remember I'm relative new to jazz. I really don't understand the high price on MM titles.

6. Maybe totally out of the topic and silly question, sorry but which CDs or SACDs are considerate the best for Blue Note label? or nothing beats Blue Note on Vinyl?

Thank You Guys!

ps: Charging for shipping with those prices is a joke! $200 is high for free shipping.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, I don't doubt that some have problems with static, but I haven't had any with mine.

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Consider yourself lucky. Static is a result of the environment, of course, and in my environment the SRX/SuperVinyl gets more statically charged than standard formula vinyl. I have to wash them every time I play.

Dmann201 and Greenmonster2420 like this.