Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Where/when did they mention a surprise?

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Mullards to Amperex? I think that should definitely bring a noticable change. I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the change.

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Gabe, you shouldn't have to wash them every play. Particularly, if you use a record cleaning machine to dry them, you're reintroducing potential static, like rubbing a balloon on your hair.

Instead, use a good anti-static brush with a grounding wire.

Mapleshade Static Draining Brush

Works like a charm for me.

Tim Albertson, Em., Cardanken and 2 others like this.
  4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

John Dark has been talking about something possibly maybe in the works that might be coming mid-year or at some indeterminate point in the as yet unknown but maybe foreseeable future if you squint just hard enough while reading between the lines.

5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Keep in mind static is pretty dependent upon environment, specifically low humidity. My guess is that Montana and Chicago were similar temp and humidity wise when we received our SRX shipment January 2019. At least my bunch were pretty bad static wise, and my unsubstantiated/unscientific observation is that the SRX formulation seems to be more prone to static. If only we could have the beautiful weather of San Francisco :)

Greenmonster2420 and scotti like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I guess I'm lucky down here in the South as the only heavy static I have seen is when I open up one of the Blue Note 80th titles and remove the record from that high quality inner sleeve.

Finally got around to listening to my SRX of Hank Mobley "Quintet"...Oh how I love this one. Glorious mono and just incredible playing from Blakey, Silver, Farmer, and Watkins (as well as Hank of course). Really impressed with this one! And I really like Doug Watkins on bass the more I hear him. Some nice work from him as well on Saxophone Colossus and the recent Tone Poet release of "Minor Move". If I remember he is also on the Coltrane reissue of "Dakar" but have not listened to that one in a while.

Any how, looking forward to getting more of these SRX titles that are on the way, hoping they don't sell out to fast as I'm trying to wait and order so the shipping is free...

Chris Bernhardt and Dmann201 like this.
  7. If you want a title, I wouldn’t wait. Moanin’ is already OOS, though @drkNRG has said they are hoping a few more show up.

Less than ideal for those grabbing a single title, but I am using it as an excuse to fill in the holes in my collection. And praying my wife doesn’t find the bill. At least if I turn up missing y’all know where I went. :help:

8. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Hi there.

1. You can read on this thread about the pricing policies but the short version is that MMJ stopped selling through other outlets. If you want one of the new releases, you either need to buy it from them or on the secondary market.

2. If it's any consolation, their packaging has been quite good IMO.

3. This is a somewhat difficult question to answer, as it depends on two factors: the number of copies left on their license from Blue Note, and whether MMJ will pay to have another batch pressed. The most recent SRX titles are limited to 1500 copies (ever, allegedly), but they are only pressing 500 to start with no indication of whether they intend to do another 500 after that. MMJ isn't always super transparent when it comes to answering these questions.

4. If you go to their artists page and sort by availability (Artists Page | Music Matters Jazz | Remastered Jazz Classics ), the items will be sorted by most in stock --> least in stock. It looks like that Afro-Cuban has the lowest stock numbers of everything. Free for All is the next lowest.

5. Again, lots to read about that on this thread and others but, on a very basic level, MMJ and other reissue labels (e.g. Slow Down Sounds, Heavenly Sweetness, etc.) will always cost more because they have to pay licensing fees to Blue Note. If we assume that licensing fee is not $30 per album, it's not the only factor in the price difference. Economies of scale must also be a factor.

6. Can't help you there, as I don't have any CDs.

Happy listening!

ryu, recstar24, Tim Albertson and 4 others like this.
  9. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Blakey's Free For All is a truly exceptional album that I don't think any jazz fan would ever regret owning. You definitely shouldn't sleep on the Tone Poets on the mistaken assumption that they're second-rate BN dates. MMJ definitely has some of the crown jewels in the BN catalog, but many of the TP sessions are equally great. It just comes down to personal taste whether one prefers, e.g., Contours to Fuschia Swing Song, Cornbread to The Sidewinder, Etc. to Speak No Evil, etc.

Sneezyachew and scotti like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Darn! I wanted that title so bad, I had no idea it would sell that fast. 500 per again? Well I will be fast to pull the trigger on the March titles. My only issue with these is that I have to use the wife's card as she will not let me have my own, and it is indeed for the better. I always pay cash (my personal record fund) at my local store.

So you have to wait until it shows in stock, before you order? You can't preorder these?

11. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

No preorders. I wish they had a subscription thing again.

scotti likes this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well said! And personally, I'll take "Free For All" over "A Night In Tunisia" any day (still a great record) for the sheer power alone. Still can't believe you can still grab the SRX for that crazy low price.

johnpisme likes this.
  13. G E

G E Senior Member

I used Amperex almost exclusively in my last phono preamp- Hagerman’s Cornet 2 - so I am very familiar with their sound.

In that preamp the upper midrange and highs were ethereal, wonderfully light and fast and just slightly sweet. The lower midrange and bass were a bit too light, but there was lots of speed.

The Mullards impart a fuller more rounded sound that is pleasing, like a favored Harris Tweed with a nice dram of 16 year old Aberlour

they are very easy to listen to if slightly less enthralling than the Amperex. I’m glad I have both.

I also have a set of RCA tubes from the mid 1950’s. They are my rock and rollers but they didn’t get as much play time in the old phono. The Amperex and mullards were far more involving. I haven’t tried them in my Trumpet yet because it’s a pain in the keister to change tubes. I will try them at some point. Just for fun.

I have made downstream changes since owning the Cornet2

upgraded power cables on phono preamp and my Bryston 28 power amps. The latter change made a big,big improvement to bass and lower midrange. I wasn’t prepared for that level of change. Power cables make a difference folks.

and I have also changed all cables but one from TT through to speakers. My first experience with true full bandwidth cables and it’s been an eye and ear opener.

also the 4 Amperex 12AX7 tubes I added are “new old stock” so they will need to run in a while. Some of the 4 12AU7 tubes I had from before and Brent Jesse was gracious enough to match up with ones he had in stock. I was running out of funds for this so I had to go with somewhat newer ones from around 1960. These old tubes that are quiet enough for phono duty are expensive.

lastly, I also added acoustic treatment to my ceiling. This is man cave #1 so I don’t need wife approval to hang up whatever I want.

so a long story to say I am familiar with the Amperex sound but so much has changed that I don’t know what to expect.

Except some exceptional music !

jphabc54, MisterBritt and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm up in Salem, MA. Pretty dry in the winter. I know, because my ukulele humidifiers lose their moisture quickly. Perhaps being on the coast mitigates a bit, but the grounded anti-static brush really works.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  15. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

How many copies of Moanin' SRX were pressed? We know the Blue Train was only part of the RTI order so it seems strange that Moanin' would sell out before Blue Train. I assumed they were pressing 500 but it seems impossible that many copies of Moanin' would sell in such a short amount of time.

16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

For all we know, RTI only sent partial of the 500. Who knows, but sounds like a few more are coming later.

Greenmonster2420 and scotti like this.
  17. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Light ticks are very noticeable also, must be the ultra-quiet background.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    periclimenes likes this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have four 12ax7 Amperex Bugle Boys, always found those to be a lively tube. Own Mullard 12ax7 tubes also and agree with you on their sonic signature. I own RCA black plates, a pair from 58 and a pair from the early sixties, and I've always been fond of them. I like the original Tung Sol 12ax7's too, remind me of the black plates but a little lighter overall. Are you Telefunken fan? I still find the smooth plate tubes to be a favorite. I hope you pleasant upcoming listening session.

jgrillo and MisterBritt like this.
  19. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

You can query what is in stock at Music Matters by adding 500 lps to your cart and seeing the inventory response....

20. I though they now limited one of each title per customer? I get the concept but I wonder if their software limits you doing that?

Sort of silly... Don't wait, if you want something buy it sooner than later.

21. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

At 75 a pop there are a number of reasons ppl might be holding off on these until it’s more suited to their budget.

gmeese34, stenway and Lucca90 like this.
  22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Thank You!

23. Understood. But Once they sell out (which won’t be long ) they’ll then double in price.

These are high prices for records. If it’s a huge stretch then $75 is a lot to begin with. It’s a series not for everyone.

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I hope they press more copies of Moanin.

scotti and MikeJedi like this.
  25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

also you can see a low number like 10, but maybe 500 more are restock when those 10 are gone, who knows....