Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

In short, yes it is worth it. I have several (had to check Discogs, as I don't think of them by their MMJ release year) favorites among that year's group, and several more that sit on my wishlist waiting for a bargain or a lottery win. I will defer to the more particular among us if there is disagreement on this, but I don't find anything lacking in the earlier 33 1/3 releases in the "Definitive" series over the later ones. They are pretty uniformly good-- at least those on my shelf.

Kimiimacman and scotti like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Lovely post and pic! That cover is very nice indeed, with an almost dimensional look to it. This is now at the top of my list for a future purchase. I hope others wait to buy it so it stays in stock, surely there are plenty of other gems to choose from until I grab it...ha!

Stu02 likes this.
  3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Thad Jones simply had no peer. He was one of Miles Davis' favorite trumpet players and always heaped praise on him.

PS - Yesterday was Thad's birthday. Since you like that album cover, below is another shot by Francis Wolff taken on the same day.

[​IMG]

Pelts, Peter A, Lucca90 and 32 others like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

One of Ron and I’s random discussions was “what record would you run back in and save if your house was on fire”? His reply was and is The Magnificent Thad Jones

DeRosa, Dmann201, SJR and 9 others like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You guys are breaking me down here! I should have added this to my recent SRX order with Leapin'...pulled out my Incredible/Fantastic, almost Spectacular sounding CD of it the other day and was like, "you big dummy"...and it's in glorious mono, 45 version.

Are they still shipping out regular placed orders at this time when they can?

mikeyt and Elofan like this.
  6. gov

gov Forum Resident

Thad Jones on trumpet is analogous to Ben Webster on Sax for me. Tone tone tone.

AaronW, Stu02, scotti and 2 others like this.
  7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

There are more Shorter records, so if the smoke is thick, he may have better luck reaching for one of these. :)

recstar24, Elofan and scotti like this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Wow, what a shot!

btf1980 and Elofan like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i think you mean second time!

this thread (and forum) is a beast, but damned if it ain't full of comparisons and analysis. set aside some time while in quarantine and pour over it.

Elofan and recstar24 like this.
  10. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm curious, what CD issue is that?

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

In regards to the CD "The Magnificent"... off the the top of my head, maybe the BN 2006 or 2007 release...pay close attention to (you big dummy) I was being sarcastic about the sound of the CD and called myself out...it's not horrible, it's just a standard BN CD...

mikeyt likes this.
  12. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

Have this going right now.

[​IMG]

btf1980, Cervelo, Crazysteve and 11 others like this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I started this morning with side 1 and now just getting back to side 2 before midnight. I am so grateful for this 33.3 MMJ album, the music, pressing, cover,notes...total package. It truly is one of those finer things in life to enjoy on many levels. In my top 10,so great, thanks MMJ.:love:

[​IMG]

Crazysteve, Stu02, scotti and 7 others like this.
  14. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I bought a copy a few weeks back, shipped to my bro in San Francisco; he was due over to the U.K. this month. Well you all know the rest :mudscrying:

PATB and AnalogJ like this.
  15. Fender Relic

:hugs:

Kimiimacman and AnalogJ like this.
  16. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

He’s got my copy of Free For All SRX too:mudscrying::mudscrying:

17. Fender Relic

:shake:

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Those posts above are kind of sad. At least those records are with family and not in media mail limbo somewhere.

Woke up this morning and saw the 50th BD thread on Bitches Brew. Happy birthday indeed and have my copy out and ready to take me to a better place later today. That album never ceases to amaze me! One of my all time favorites.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

will be nice to get herbie & grant today. something to look forward to and take my mind off all of the stress!

AnalogJ and scotti like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Good for you! Lets us know what you think after you enjoy them. Just got notification that my copies left the Atlanta branch and are on the way to my local post office, so I should receive no later than Wednesday if things go right, maybe even tomorrow. Our music sure is helping us right now...I have friends back home from my high school days that only listen to music in their cars or by going to a concert and became mostly fans of sports. Sadly they are very lost at this trying time. I have preached to them for years, get yourself a decent little home stereo system and see how great of a mood the wonderful sounds will put you in, as well as bringing back some awesome memories.

We are very fortunate that we have such a love for incredible sounding records at this time!

Elofan, GentleSenator, Bryce and 6 others like this.
  21. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Received maiden voyage and idle moments yesterday and listened to maiden voyage today and am blown away. I had the music matters 33 already and didn’t expect much difference. I’ve bought all the SRX versions released this year so far. To be honest all sound like improvements but only slightly (Although Moanin also was very good and could tell more of a difference in the new SRX version compared to other) I really think this Hancock SRX has a commanding lead over the rest of the SRX pressed this year. This is the biggest difference for me so far in this new formula. I expected the new vinyl formula to be good for this “quieter” record but didn’t expect it to just blow me away. It’s the same cut and master and I’m sure just the floor being lower helps with dynamics but this SRX vinyl blows the dynamics of the regular version away IMO. It seems like a night and day difference and I know that wouldn’t seem logical with just a different vinyl material used. You can tell right off the bat with the first 30 seconds into maiden voyage. I’m definitely no pro audiophile but to these ears this is the best SRX version by a mile so far with the 2020 releases (going to listen to idle moments next). I wasn’t too crazy about laying down 75 bucks for a lot of releases I already have by music matters but this album has completely sold me on the “quieter vinyl” going forward with the repeat title releases. I can’t wait to hear Shorter’s Cut on SRX. I already love Adams Apple and speak no evil should be amazing.

jgrillo, scotti, MisterBritt and 17 others like this.
  22. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

Has anyone’s order still in process and has not been shipped yet? I placed the order on the second date but haven’t received any updates.

23. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I got the shipping notice right away, but judging by the tracking, it got actually shipped just couple of days ago, so the first notice must of have been the shipping label creation. Its very possible, that they are still preparing some of these for shipping.

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just an awesome post!!! Very well said and can't wait. My copies are now out for delivery today and have been on such a Hancock kick lately, but will save it for after I listen to Idle Moments because of the incredible way you described it. Like you, I am so ready for the Shorter as well. If Maiden Voyage tops Moanin' and I do believe you, I'm going to have to have the wife pry me off of the couch so I can change sides. Just one sweet review from you!

One last plug here for "The Prisoner", let it out for another spin last night and damn is this not one fine sounding record!

Ron Jones, mikeyt, Elofan and 2 others like this.
  25. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Just got my Idle Moments and Maiden Voyage in Toronto.

Elofan and scotti like this.