Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Clucking likes this.
  2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

the kids were agnostic about one step beyond, I was surprised how “swingy” it sounded today, there’s actually some cool “dance” elements that I missed on my first few listens previously. I saw the occasional head bop from my 4th grader. Currently spinning evolution and both kids are like wtf is this lol

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like evolution but Jackie blowing sharp keeps me from dropping $75 on it.

recstar24 likes this.
  4. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

The releases for this month are planned for the end of the month, correct?

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

It seems to be everything is on hold given what's going on from what I've read... I wouldn't hold my breath.

recstar24 and Twinsfan007 like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! You are starting so sound like you are having a blast and acting like crazy me...I mean that in the most sincere way as possible, good stuff!

Inspired by some Joe Henderson love over on the BN 80th thread, been listening to Basra, Una Mas, The Prisoner, and quite possible my favorite Hubbard album "Straight Life" I have decided to get some MMJ magic going here over a cold one or...and have Solid and Idle Moments ready to fire up later on, but just told my wife I was heading back down and going "Out To Lunch" with Mr. Dolphy, and she looked at me and laughed and said you are already there...

7. LOL let us know how that goes.

8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Well, glad I got Thad when I did, it jumped to $75.

9. And that probably rules it out for me, unless one pops up on the secondary market for cheap. So many more I want around that price and under.

10. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I see what you did there.

recstar24 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  11. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Ha! How did i forget this one also? It was my part of my very first MMJ order. Evolution, Out to Lunch, Free For Fall SRX....what a happy day

Gabe Walters and scotti like this.
  12. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Same for me. Had it ready for the next purchase as the 'reasonable' priced album but now it has too much competition from other $75 albums I still want.

Well, their price hikes worked. I placed an order i've been sitting on now since there's a chance they'll go up any random day...

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond
    Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
    Wayne Shorter - Juju

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  13. Point of Departure is my favorite in the series personally. Nice choice!

scotti, TheoJ, Cervelo and 1 other person like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I wish you wonderful people would stop tempting me...I recently convinced myself I would not double dip on this one as I have the AP 45 version and it sounds wonderful. But the more I think about it (very dangerous) getting the SRX 33 would not exactly be double dipping, now would it...

Capped off my night with side one of the SRX of Moanin' (whoa!) and then listened to my SRX of Idle Moments for the 5th time (have to put it aside for a bit) and this truly is my favorite sounding one so far! This one somehow opens up with a soundstage like some of the best MMJ 45's out there (the ones I own) and just gives such an attention to every detail, just flat out amazing. Live inside my ears!

@recstar24 the best is yet to come though, is it not! Will it be The Sidewinder, maybe "Speak No Evil", or maybe all of the rest...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Crazysteve, Dmann201, Elofan and 4 others like this.
  15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I can personally vote for sidewinder :righton:

[​IMG]

Twinsfan007, PATB, Crazysteve and 5 others like this.
  16. Have you compared to the AP 45? I plan to pick up the SRX but the AP is really, really good.

rubberhead likes this.
  17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

nope - just the normal MM33 and an OG liberty I have. Prior to SRX, I was somewhat “meh” about the album and just considered it a commercial party record. The SRX takes it to another level, can’t explain it but you get way more nuance and subtlety that puts the record for me in such a different light, it’s easily in my top 3 now for jazz records period (before I never really gave it much thought to be honest).

Twinsfan007, Dmann201, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  18. High praise. I am certainly excited to compare. Still need to shoot out Maiden Voyage with the AP. Hopefully this weekend.

I also have APs of Midnight Blue and Somethin’ Else that should make for some fun A/Bs.

19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If it’s of any value, my biggest AP/MM comparison is idle moments, non Srx, and greatly preferred the MM in that scenario. The AP45 is a very flat transfer and requires a significant juicing of the volume to open it up IMO, but for some odd reason it just doesn’t have the same groove factor as the MM does (the audiophiles would use the term PRAT to describe the sensation I’m referring to). The MM just grooves so wonderfully, unfortunately I don’t have a SRX to compare to. Idle and Sidewinder are relatively from a similar recording era of RVG/Englewood so I hope that is of some value to you.

20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

SRX? I'd certainly be interested to hear your take.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sweet! Looks like you are ready to conduct it...all I have is the SACD of it, and agree it is somewhat of a party record, but nothing wrong with that. My wife loves it so an obvious choice.

22. Yes indeed. I have just been so slammed with work and preparing for a cross country move that I haven't even cracked open my SRX yet :hide:

23. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

It may be on this thread and I missed it, but is the April SRX still planning on being released in April or will they be delayed?

24. gov

gov Forum Resident

Delayed. Socially distanced SRX releases.

but who knows. Stay tuned here.

recstar24 likes this.
  25. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I’ve been really good to resist overpaying for I consider too much for individual MM’s.
    Did purchase two of my favorites Inner Urge and Juju as well as Feelin’s good.

Thought I was set until I made mistake of playing my CDs of Point of Departure, Night Dreamer and Destination Out, I want to hear these on vinyl now...the promise of better sound got me. These are in my cart , leaving Out to Lunch , Cool Struttin and True Blue behind to only make $200 threshold.

So I guess this is how it happens , MM has the fear of loss thing on their side.

It’s all good in the end.