Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah, it's what happens. You get a few and think you're good. Then you get a few more and think that'll be it. Rinse and repeat.

2. Gandra

Gandra Forum Resident

You didn't miss much with Wahoo. Sound is bad. Tape dropouts, highs missing... Should have kept my money

3. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Yep--I similarly made a purchase a few days ago, in spite of some serious misgivings about spending so much money on something so inessential in the midst of a crisis like this. After seeing too many titles I was planning to buy at some point go out of print, I've felt more pressure to buy sooner rather than later. So I ordered Indestructible, In 'n Out, Right Now!, and Cape Verdean Blues.

By the way, I own the MM 45s of all the albums you mentioned aside from Feelin's Good, and they are all great--I don't think you'll regret your purchase!

Gdgray likes this.
  4. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

The Mobley 1568 45RPM is down to $40. Worth snagging?

Crazysteve and Bryce like this.
  5. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

It's a great album, one of my favorite Mobleys. I have the 33.

6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

better than the $2000 for an OG:D

7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I've sold a fair about of music recently and felt justified in another order. I've spent about a month debating this particular order directly with MMJ and I'm almost positive after this there will be no need to order directly from them except for new SRX titles. These titles are currently rare exceptions in that they are priced low relative to the secondary market and are also titles I'm really excited about. So I just clicked order.

Ready?

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin (45 rpm)
    Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris
    Joe Henderson - Our Thing
    (streaming this now, I can't believe I haven't picked this up yet, it's so so good)
    Hank Mobley - Sextet (45 rpm)

Crazysteve, scotti, Dmann201 and 5 others like this.
  8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I’m curious what you are selling as you are obviously loving these releases. Are you selling redundant doubles you have picked up. Or records that you find you don’t love enough to justify the purchase? ps the first 3 of your selections are home runs IMHO

musictoad likes this.
  9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Lots of things. Dupes of albums that lost a shootout. Parts of my CD collection which I've finally started to come around on selling given streaming makes many of them pretty unnecessary. Albums I've owned that have gone up in value and I am not attached to.

Elofan and Stu02 like this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I hear you, my collection is in constant flux for the same reasons. I have shifted to a holding pen for the ones on the way out. They are quarantined for 6 months and occasionally a few make there way back into the collection. Generally my regrets are few but they do happen occasionally

Elofan and musictoad like this.
  11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

That's exactly why it's taken me so long to get okay with letting go of much of my discs (and I've barely scratched the surface, I spent multiple decades curating it). I've wanted to be absolutely sure I wouldn't regret it.

Until somewhat recently (about two years ago) I was still using physical discs in my car. Now I'm using an SD card. And I was using them at home until I got a good Bluetooth adapter for my receiver.

The only discs I'll keep are ones with emotional attachment as well as those with unique mastering I can't find via streaming. All others are fair game right now.

Stu02 likes this.
  12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I started my purchasing long before CDs but with the advent of CDs I fortunately did NOT sell my vinyl like many friends of mine did. I have always loved records and always will but CDs have their place. I could choose to sell all my CDs and replace them at 40 times the cost per album or I could focus on the music and spend the money on expanding my jazz universe ... for me it was easy decision, though with MM I have re purchased some that are dearest to my heart.

Principles are made to be broken sometimes....:hide:

musictoad likes this.
  13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Definitely. I should also add I'm focusing on selling the discs that have retained or gained value. It's all about value. No use in selling the discs that would go for pennies.

Sounds like you've been very good at preventing regrettable decisions.

Chris Bernhardt and Stu02 like this.
  14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well I made a few bad mistakes selling early on. The pain is bad so you learn.
    Take care Musictoad , long live the music

musictoad likes this.
  15. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I finally got a chance to spin Maiden Voyage SRX. Pretty underwhelming so far.

The very first thing I noticed is that the fonts are incorrect on the front and back covers. Blue Note didn't use Helvetica for this cover, and the other fonts are wrong too. My Optimal-pressed green vinyl reissue from 2015 is correct in this regard. This detail may be minor to some people, but it's not minor to me. It takes all of ten seconds to look at the original cover and see that you got it wrong. This should have been fixed, it's pure laziness. Other labels get this wrong too, but I'm paying for MM to get it right!

Onto the inside. Oh, no photos from this session? Those are Empyrean Isles photos maybe, given the date? Except George Coleman wasn't at that session, so when was his photo taken? This is something of a disappointment, because I don't have the original MM so hadn't seen these photos. I was hoping for actual Maiden Voyage session photos when I opened the gatefold. Maybe there aren't any.

How's the record sound? Well, not very quiet. Maybe I need to clean it again, but there were plenty of ticks and pops. There seems to be some distortion in places, and bigtime on the horns outro of Little One. I haven't played the second side yet. Where it's clean, it does sound good, but it's not any kind of revelation.

I understood the whole point of SRX was that it was quiet -- of course, that means nothing if the pressing isn't completely perfect, which this one is not. My other cheap reissue is actually quieter. I'll clean the SRX again and listen again. Hopefully it improves.

All in all, not terribly impressed at any price, and sure as heck not at $85.

MRT, Dobby92, PATB and 2 others like this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ouch.

17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

This one's quickly moving up my list of favorite Henderson records. From the opening "Teeter Totter", where Hill and the horns literally seesaw back and forth, to the changing tempos of the title track...the catchy hook of "Back Road" and then ending perfectly with the melodic and slightly hypnotic "Escapade". A very complete and balanced record with an outstanding line-up...La Roca's percussion really shines too. You are certainly right...it is sooooo good!

18. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Joe and Andrew Hill make for a killer combination. Their blend of styles is so unique and magical. Just adventurous enough but not steering off the road.

This will be my forth Henderson and all of them are incredible, all for different reasons too.

19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Take solace in knowing that you are not alone. At least I was smart enough to hang on to my early Floyd and Zep lps.

scotti and Stu02 like this.
  20. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I'm late in replying, but which Verve double albums do you mean? Are they reissues?

21. Double album reissues from 1976-1980. All analogue most are Robert Ludwig cuts

here are a few

[​IMG]

22. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Our Thing is an absolute must imo. I’ve been discussing this with a friend recently about how good this title is. Especially for the original MSRP. Honestly, I’ll take any session with Joe and Kenny Dorham. Throw in Pete La Roca...Take. My. Money.

Bryce, Kimiimacman, Dmann201 and 6 others like this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think there’s a lot of MMs that don’t have exact photos from the album session. I think they try but it’s not always possible, especially for the 4 smaller shots on the right.

24. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

The 45 is one of my two least favorite MM titles. No drive! I have yet to hear the 33. It is likely superior.

musictoad likes this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Hmm, ok good to know. Maybe I'll consider another title and ask them to swap for me. I wondered if there was a reason nobody was picking it up but nobody said anything.

Sometimes I feel like this thread moonlights as the MMJ marketing dept and always encourages a purchase regardless of what the best advice might be. So thank you for saying something.

Starquest and Clucking like this.