Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

It is, but that might just be the way it is on the tape. I listened to my MM copy, and then broke out my 80s French EMI copy that was also remastered from the tapes. It has the same subdued bass.

2. Josquin des Prez

Heh...so I have to retract my statement. I got a couple AP Art Pepper 45 RPMs today and one of them had an unglued sleeve out of the wrap.

I have some glue sticks on the way from Amazon.

3. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

The covers are no surprise but how about the sound ? I was thinking to buy several of those Art Peppers, great music and the 45rpms are rather cheap... 37,5$

4. Josquin des Prez

I bought two of the $50 ones. "Intensity" and "Smack Up." They sound great. I was also thinking about some of those other $37 ones. They are not from the same Fantasy series AP did as a subscription.

5. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

I sold my Original first pressing of 'Smack Up' after I bought the 45rpm version . What a huge difference...
    Meets the rhythm section is even a little bit better... (but to expensive if you don't own allready)

6. Josquin des Prez

I don't have "Meets the Rhythm Section" but wish I did. The 45 goes for over $100 now if you can find it.

7. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

My ONLY issue with the music matter releases is that the record cover sleeve is a tad too small and the fit for the record and the plastic sleeve is too tight.

8. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Haven't spent a day in advertising, but I agree.

If AP is gonna sell a vinyl Blue Note reissue at a premium price roughly twice that of non-premium LPS, then they need to be sure that everything is top-shelf. Yes of course this includes packaging. It's either arrogant or clueless to think that a fine remastering is sufficient to earn the money; if so, just send them in plain white covers and lower the printing costs.

The prospect that someone's gonna buy a premium-priced LP and then be responsible for gluing it together right out of the box is more than ridiculous; it's downright redonkulous. I read these complaints often enough here to be scared off.

Music Matters has so intensely elevated the paradigm in the reissue biz! Thanks Joe and Ron!

La Roca likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

For me it's all about the sound so even though AP's covers are second to MM covers if the release is a title that I want then I'll buy it. For instance, The Wynton Kelly Trio-Smokin At The Half Note and Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd-Jazz Samba are fantastic sounding releases and were a must buy no matter if it was MM or AP releasing them.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

FWIW: the two Verve titles you mention and QRP productions and those have been much better quality than the previous AP releases pressed at RTI.

11. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I received Smokin' at the Half Note today and was happy to see it is a high quality gatefold. Good work guys!

12. Questhate

Questhate Forum Resident

Good to hear. That's on my list to get next. Seems Music Matters raised the bar for these releases, so everyone sorta has to improve their packaging now. The AP Take Five that came out recently also has a nice quality gatefold sleeve.

13. ssmith3046

Yup, both Smokin' at the Half Note and Jazz Samba are gatefolds. Hope the rest of the Verve reissues are too. The sound quality and pressings are excellent too.

14. Josquin des Prez

I have the subscription, and 18/25 have been released to date. Only some of the Verve titles are gatefolds.

15. ssmith3046

I hope Chad comes to understand that he needs to keep the gatefolds coming. The 45 rpm Doors reissues are prime example of how to do covers right. And as been pointed out the Time Out cover was lovely too.

16. ssmith3046

I'm not a subscriber so I had to go back and check my AP Verve reissues that I have bought and out of six previous purchases these two latest buys are the only two gatefold covers. They all sound great though!

17. Josquin des Prez

Of the 18 titles so far, four are gatefold:
    Bill Evans, both Stan Getz, and the Wynton Kelly.

Of the remaining seven titles none jump out as potential gatefold releases.

18. bladerunner119

bladerunner119 Well-Known Member

It might sounds very stupid but where did you guys find the $37.5 AP 45rpm?
    MM 45rpm series pretty much dry up my wallet and I would give AP at try if it's $37.5 an album.
    Anyone can help?

19. Josquin des Prez

There are just two Art Pepper titles for that price. Go to the Acoustic Sounds site and do a search for Art Pepper.

20. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

My ears are pleased, my bank account is not.

Picked up these a few weeks ago:

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Blakey - A Night in Tunisia
    Joe Henderson - Mode for Joe

Ordered these last night:

Jackie McLean - Destination Out
    Elvin Jones - Genesis
    Wayne Shorter - Juju
    Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

Oh yeah, a bunch of Sonic Youth, too...

La Roca, disaac and JimSmiley like this.
  21. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Great titles and great tubes.

22. disaac

disaac Forum Resident

Positively envious -- Speak No Evil in particular is an all-time favorite.

23. disaac

disaac Forum Resident

What it comes down to is appreciating that if you are going to produce a premium product then everything about it should be premium (and I mean everything).

GreatTone likes this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

FWIW: The AP releases pressed by QRP are the best quality records I've played. When it comes down to it, I care far more about that than anything, since I buy these to listen to the music. I can accept AP not using gatefolds when I get such good playback from the vinyl.

25. disaac

disaac Forum Resident

Agreed -- I didn't say they had to be gatefolds; just that everything should be premium! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.