Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Missed out on an opportunity to pick up Tina Brook's "True Blue", sealed, for just $40 from my neighborhood shop. Man, did I blow it or what...

2. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

If it was for the original mono DG copy with 47 W 63rd address, then yes, you blew it big time.... :unhunh:

Supafly likes this.
  3. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

The schedule has been posted earlier in this thread, several times...

4. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Saw that after it was too late to edit my post. Was mainly curious if the site was down for others, though.

5. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

Down for me. Even had an email returned "undeliverable".

6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

It appears to be gone now. The link I have always used now goes to Front End Audio, the registration link doesn't work either. :shrug:

7. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

It works for me. When I go to musicmattersjazz.com, I end up here: http://gnvdh.kdfvm.servertrust.com/Default.asp

I know they just revamped the entire site for the 33 1/3 series release, so maybe they are having some issues with the new site.

8. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

Thanks. Just tried it again and it did send me to the link you show.

9. Diamond007

Diamond007 Forum Resident

Just a note regarding my new 331/3 Music Matters Blue Note LP's...
    I listened to John Coltrane's "Blue Train" yesterday and compared it to the AP's 45 version and I had to admit they are exactly as described, much more vivid and lively, for sure! Today I am listening to Grant Green's "Idle Moments" as if for the very first time! I'm telling you I am enjoying this one as if I never heard it before, it's just fantastic. Makes me wish my whole collection sounded like these two. This is the way ALL records should sound, hopefully they WILL since this is NOW the new STANDARD for high quality audiophile recordings. Belive me I (like yourselves) have been wondering why would I want to buy yet another copy of the same record?? Why, because Ron had to do it, that's why and you will know it to very soon.

mikeyt and RiRiIII like this.
  10. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Ron offcourse... but also Kevin Gray @ his cohearent audio studio. This is the perfect team for audiophile re-issues. I think (actually I'm sure) that Kevin got some magic in his remastering fingers...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. Diamond007

Diamond007 Forum Resident

With out a doubt the magic was Kevin's hand, but the why was Ron's decision.
    As questionable as it is...my point is that when you hear these new reissues you will know it was a"have to do it", decision. Like climbing higher up that mountain to reach the next crest.

Please see my moniker.

12. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

What titles come out next?

13. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

It'll all come down to what each person wants. You want the best sound, grab the 45. You want great sound and convenience, grab the 33. You won't regret either choice.

14. JMCIII

They are mine now!

chris8519 and TimArruda like this.
  15. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Mine arrived today :)

They are superb! Covers are excellent and the sound is very very good. Brilliant even. I do not have a copy of Idle Moments so that has been a real joy to listen to..

Blue Train I have about 5 copies of ranging from an original 1950s mono to a late 70s Stereo and on listening to the Music Matters 33 RPM I was very happy with the sound quality which was superior in my opinion to all that went before it, all except that is the original 1950s mono which just completely grounds you with its gritty dynamic sound. The Music Matters is perfectly excellent. Don't get me wrong. But in comparison it just comes across as a bit too perfect. Too clean. I suspect what I am hearing is that little extra VAN GELDER magic that the original has. Anyway, those are my thoughts after an initial spin.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  16. Michel Jazz

I definitely would like to hear the original, nobody of my friends got a copy either and it would never be a part of my collection... too expensive.

17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I too am very impressed with the sound of these new 33.3's. Sadly, my copy of Idle Moments was, it must be said, disastrous -- it arrived dirty, scratched, scuffed, warped and very, very noisy. Quite a disappointment after all the hype. I listened to it after cleaning, and though it was difficult to enjoy with all the noise, the amazing sound quality did come through. When Joe Henderson comes in during the title cut, it's like he stepped out of the speaker into the room. I'll be much happier when I get a clean replacement though.

My copy of Blue Train was more like it -- flawless and exceptional. The only copy I have to compare it to is the 4-disc, single-sided Classic Records reissue mastered by Bernie Grundman. It is a little difficult to do a direct comparison, because the Classic is in stereo, and it is one of the worst examples of hard right/hard left out there, which makes the decision to go with the mono seem pretty obviously superior. That said, the sound quality of the Classic is very good. It offers that something that 45 rpm does that is hard to beat: a solidity and life-size quality that even the best 33's can't quite get. The transients seem a little snappier as well. But the MM has its own areas of excellence -- the horns have a lovely relaxed quality with great detailed texture, and the bass seems more musical, if not as powerful as the Classic. And the mono makes it all hang together much better too.

I will say this, and may get some flack for it: I've always thought the sound quality of Blue Train is not RVG's finest hour. It's definitely good, but not great, in the way that something like The Magnificent Thad Jones is great. The drums especially don't have that crystal-clear, 3D quality that so many early Blue Notes have. Maybe it's because the tapes have been used so many times, I don't know. The music is epic, obviously, maybe the best Blue Note ever, or at least in the top 5. But soundwise it's not. Very good, yes, but not truly great. Still, I'm very glad to have this version, as well as the Classic. Glad to have both, because they are good in different ways. Just my opinion.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Eagerly waiting for mine.

Funny thing, I have just realized I'm subscriber #33 of the 33rpm series :D

JMCIII likes this.
  19. Michel Jazz

You don't believe me but I also got #33 :agree:

20. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Maybe we all are #33 ??? o_O I mean all 33rpm subscribers.

21. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I thought the new series didn't have assigned subscription numbers?

Thanks for the feedback on how they sound. Home run releases it seems! :)

22. JMCIII

I have a copy of Blue Train coming. Am looking forward to it. Having heard (much later - can't afford originals) stereo copies, I can't wait for the mono. Got a feeling its going to kill...... :love:

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Is your Blue Train original mono hand written RVG or machine stamped VAN GELDER in the dead wax?

24. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Hand written? Really?

Didn't know he did that...

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

My post should have included machine stamped RVG as well :hide:

But yes, he did hand write RVG on some 1500 series LPs.

I know there are at least three distinct label variations/combinations for Blue Train (mono) prior to the sale to Liberty. Finding out dead wax information is a bit trickier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.