Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

.... I found some extra time recently as well and played similarly great records.....Freddie Hubbard's 'Going up' and then J T Monterose and finally Andrew Hill's 'point of departure'. They all make you go 'Wow' !

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Side Question:

Are the 12 33rpm titles all that's going to be released?
    I see a few common titles between the 45rpm and the 33rpm and I was wondering if more of them (esp the OOP ones) will see a 33rpm debut.

3. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

I was only comparing that the 33rpm's MM stereo & mono (Idle Moments & Blue Train) are (much) heavier in bass then the 45rpm's.
    The Mono's & Stereo's 45rpm are all played @ the same level of bass on my equipment...

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agreed. I wonder if it's the perceived lack of sales potential, or if it's something else regarding licensing, poor or non existent tapes, etc? I have originals of a lot of these more obscure titles so it doesn't bother me one way or another but it would be cool to use the 33 format to put some of that stuff out there for posterity purposes.

5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Hey Sam,

I had a slightly later version of your Sherwood S5000. It's the first tube piece I bought, and I immediately sold my SS gear right after.

Agree with you: Magical!

sberger likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You had the 7591 version I presume? Yeah, this is the 7189 early version. I'm really starting to like it. When I first got it I was a bit underwhelmed. It has been restored by somebody who is known for his restoration work, but still I wasn't overly impressed. So I put it aside and now after a few rotations, a bit of tube rolling, it has really come into it's own. Very powerful 20 watts and yet incredibly sweet. And as I indicated it really shines on vintage music. The only part that continues to not impress is the phono stage, but not a big deal as I like my solid state Avid Pulsus so much and they compliment each other. All in all a keeper for sure.

7. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes, the 7591 version. It was the first time I heard "layers" to music.
    IMG_1680.JPG

2xUeL, EL34 and sberger like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Beautiful. I just love the styling of these old Sherwoods.

9. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Well, I have listened to these MM 33s + the 16 45s that came in the “big box”.

I expected the 33s to be very good, but they are even better. Clear, perfect timbre, a magic sense of rightness.

The 45s are a bit more dynamic, but don’t possess that magic. Don’t get me wrong the 45s are fantastic and I will purchase more of these. Great records, I won’t stop with my first 16. But the 33s are even better.

Of course it is to my ears in my system (not the one in my signature, the analogue rig has been upgraded).

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  10. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

What big box are you referring to?

11. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

I ordered 20 records than came in a big box. Nothing special :)

12. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Just received, cleaned and listened to "Blue Train." I'll be telling you all what I think in an upcoming review of it and "Something Else" at www.theaudiobeat.com very soon.

2xUeL likes this.
  13. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

16 sets meaning 32LPs, or 16LPs meaning 8 sets? either way, WOW! Nice score!

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Recorded in both dedicated mono and stereo on two different tape machines. Released in mono in 1957, stereo in 1960.

2xUeL likes this.
  15. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Thanks Crispi!

16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Is every subscriber #33? That's what my invoice says and others have said that they have the same number. Has "Subscriber #" simply become "Series #"?

17. Jim in Houston

didn;t see any numbers on mine.

18. bresna

bresna Senior Member

It's not on the LPs themselves. It's on the invoice that MM e-mailed when they shipped the records.

19. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Please keep us posted, John!

JMCIII likes this.
  20. Jim in Houston

thanks!

21. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

it seems so

22. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Can you say "sense of humor?

Gabe Walters likes this.
  23. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Subscriber 33 here too.... These will become collectors items one day. Forget the EAR or RGV in the deadwax. Future eBay auctions will ask if the LP comes with an original invoice with subscriber 33 on it!

Man, I wish MM would re-issue the entire BN catalogue on these 33s.

24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Just spinning my Idle moments 33 RPM , sounds amazing ! very well done .....My only other copy of this is the Crummy cd version so nothing to compare it to ...that said i hope they keep doing the 33's i like the format better that the 2-Lp 45 RPM , for the price & the fact that you flip it once ...........But very nice job on this lp , now onto coltrane .

TimArruda likes this.
  25. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

bump for answers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.