Music Matters Prices

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Dougthesnail, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Start a thread in the Music forum to have the proper answer.

Or go to Discogs, find Grundman's page, and search for any Blue Note entries with your browser. I do this quickly by selecting the max 500 results setting.

2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Technically, Grundman had his hand on essentially all of them. For that series, BN contracted him to do make digital EQ’d archived copies of essentially all the tape masters they had available for him to do, with the idea being BN could just use those digital files to cut records, stream digitally, CD’s, etc. So if you listen to a digitally sourced BN file nowadays, BG had a hand in it.

mikeyt likes this.
  3. scottdavis0801

scottdavis0801 Forum Resident

These MM reissues are expensive, but sound amazing. I own 2 Hank Mobley, 1 Joe Henderson, and 1 Canonball Adderley album, so far. I can't put them down. Other than Miles Davis, and Coltrane, these reissues have been an introduction to jazz for me. I am now keeping an eye out for early pressings. Wish me luck!

recstar24 likes this.
  4. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Got into it a little bit on Instagram with someone over this. But then I found this thread, so I dunno. Maybe I don't have my facts straight? You guys tell me, here's what I said when the commenter accused MM of price gouging:

Also, I have no dog in this fight, but don't you think "price gouging" is a bit harsh? That implies some kind of sinister and/or exploitative and/or greedy motives, doesn't it? I think if you take a closer look at the very small team of people who have dumped their hearts and souls into this project, you'll find nothing sinister, exploitative, or greedy about them or their motives. I agree the MM price tag is high, but have you ever held one of their records in your hands? Let alone heard one? Dude- these are AS NICE as records get. The mastering, the sleeve reproduction, the quality of the pressings. Lordy. I was skeptical too and then I found a copy of MM's Blakey's Like Someone In Love used at Amoeba for $75. Took it home and was just blown away by the presentation. And the sound? Holy moly. So yea, pricey, but these are PREMIUM audiophile products. It doesn't get any better. Beyond that, since you're obviously in the used record business, you must know how much a clean original Blue Note pressing goes for, right? A VG original of this title in particular (Doin' Allright) is on Discogs right now for $142.00. If it were as clean as a brand new MM title? You can double that price easily. Music Matters is asking for $39.99. So yea, MM is expensive stuff, but worth it to me. And I certainly don't think they're trying to take advantage of the community of people who support and appreciate the work they've done.

Am I off base?

5. Strat-Mangler

Technically, no. It's all subjective in the end. I'm no huge Jazz fan but my father-in-law is. Still, he'd never spend that much for a new LP and would rather spend a fraction of that amount on a much cheaper pressing regardless of the mastering, source, packaging.

If the person you interacted with is of the same opinion as my FIL, the price MM charges will invariably have him raise his eyebrows but if someone else is more concerned with SQ than anything else, that price could be a bargain.

The Pop Kids likes this.
  6. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

True. I guess, like all markets, MM is charging what they know people are willing to pay.

7. Strat-Mangler

There's also a cost that is normal to pay. A new great car for $5000 isn't realistic, just as a terrific mastering on terrific gear from a master tape pressed on quality vinyl couldn't be done for $15.

Dave and The Pop Kids like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.