Music of the Spheres - The Ultimate 13th Floor Elevators' Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by *Zod*, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Yes, here's what it says in the LP sleeve's liner notes:
    "Someday My Love" ('Wait For My Love' with new lyrics/early mix of 'Til Then')

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The stereo mix of Easter Everywhere (an original LP) is excellent. I mean, if you can get a mono of this LP, go for it....but the original stereo is perfectly fine.

Its the stereo Psychedelic Sounds Of...that's anemic compared to the mono. Luckily the Sundazed mono version is less than $20 and made from a direct copy tape of the master tape. Sounds awesome.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  3. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Original stereo mix of E.E. is excellent! It's to bad that these guys didn't just decide to needle drop it for the CD and LP box. In the case of E.E. it's not that this stereo mix is bad, it just not as good as the wide original version. At least this new version is much better than the old Radar/Charly stereo mix or should I say mess.

4. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

I just had this reply from burning shed - and unlike everybody Else i'm very happy with the box:

Hi Claus,

Thank you for sending the pictures through - they are very useful and I will pass them on to International Artists so that they can deal with the factory about how the boxes were packaged.

I have spoken to them about the mislabelled discs and if you want new ones they can replace them but not for a few weeks as new discs need to be made.

An email about this is going out to everyone who has an early copy of the box set later today but you do not need to respond to that. I already have a note to send you new discs for Live and Headstone.

Thanks again,

Lisa
    [email protected]

www.burningshed.com

Follow us on Twitter for news and other fun!
    http://twitter.com/burningshednews

You can now check your order status by visiting our 'contact us' page and entering your Transaction ID

On 6 Oct 2011, at 20:09, Claus Kristensen wrote:

Have you come to a conclusion with all *the unsatisfied costumers who claims to have the right labeled lps?
    Claus

5. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

This is a very strange explanation / excuse...

This is a strictly limited numbered set, so surely the 'very early' pressings will be instantly recognisable as such by the numbers on them??!

...and just how early is 'very early'? Assuming thery're going out in some kind of order (and i got no.115ish a few days before Dale, so suspect they are), no.1352 being faulty would suggest that close to half are faulty - so the 'very early' copies will be almost exactly as rare as the correctly labelled ones!

6. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

yes, but like i wrote above you - they will resend correct lps for those who claim for it. I got nr 198/3000 - very early press;)

7. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Yeah, saw that after I'd replied, I just thought the logic in their initial response was pretty funny.

Fair play to them if they replace them all, although the only email I've had as yet has the original "aren't you lucky that we misspressed this for you" response.

8. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Interesting! I was only offered a replacement of my damaged P.S. stereo disc, but not on the two mislabeled discs. BTW my set was #779. Maybe I should ask again?

9. mojoman2802

mojoman2802 Sometimes always..

Where's the numbering system? On the box itself or within? I've had this sitting sealed but haven't had the chance to crack it open...

Any further comments on the sound quality, particularly Bull Of The Woods? Has anyone done a A/B comparison with the last round of vinyl reissues prior to the CD set?

10. texquad

texquad Senior Member

The numbers are hand written on a reproduction Tanner N Texas packing slip that are packaged inside the box. Mine was 0779. "Bob Tanner's TNT (Tanner 'N Texas) Records, which also had a studio and a record manufacturing plant in the San Antonio." These are were the original LP's were made.

11. texquad

texquad Senior Member

The numbers are hand written on a reproduction Tanner N Texas packing slip that are packaged inside the box. Mine was 0779. "Bob Tanner's TNT (Tanner 'N Texas) Records, which also had a studio and a record manufacturing plant in the San Antonio." These are were the original LP's were made.

I don't think I have an original pressing or even a bootleg LP of Bull so, I can't make the comparison. I did compare my original stereo P.S. & E.E. with these new copies and these are not the original wide stereo, but they do sound good.

12. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Turns out I did have an original vinyl pressing of Bull and the new one sounds good, but isn't as wide a stereo field as the originals like P.S. or E.E. My originals aren't in mint condition, so it's nice to hear this on vinyl that's really quiet.

13. mojoman2802

mojoman2802 Sometimes always..

Fair enough. Thanks for the assessment. Was in two minds about cracking it open after some of the negative comments here but essentially I think I'll take a drop in dynamics/wide stereo over the expense of trying to find originals (and having the Headstone stuff on vinyl).

Cheers!

14. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Frankly, I prefer the mastering on the new vinyl, the funny drops I mentioned notwithstanding. The Contact session tracks on "Paradise Lost" are tonally flat and seem free of the problems on the new Music of the Spheres vinyl (that repeating volume drop on "Take That Girl"), but I like the punchy, upfront sound on MOTS better than the albeit smoother "polite" sound on PL.

"Paradise Lost" has those tracks sounding recessed, and I discovered an oddity that perhaps experts can comment on. "You're Gonna Miss Me" on PL has an extra Roky Erickson "Yeah!" shout at the start of the track that is missing on the "Headstone The Contact Sessions" vinyl. Different sources/mixes or what?

PL, though has some fantastic tidbits, like the Roky Erickson acoustic demo "Peace."

Peace.

Dale

15. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I didn't need this. I already own the Elevators catalog several times over and then some on both LP and CD. Now keep in mine I grew up on the original mixes so that's my baseline as far as sound. As for the look of this set, it's really impressive. Now I'm really glad I got one!

16. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I finally got to do an A/B comparison of the two box sets CD vs LP. I'm really impressed on how nice these LP's sound. I think these new vinyls sounds better than the CD's overall, especially on P.S. & E.E.

17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I just now sent off my email to Lisa at Burning Shed, politely addressing this issue of needing to receive corrected copies of the mislabled titles. I hope to hear that they will accomodate my request without any guff or hassle ensuing. I will report back on the response that I get.

In the meantime, I could only recommend and encourage other members here who received copies of the box with the incorrectly labled LPs to contact Lisa/customer support at the appropriate Burning Shed email address. My guess is that if more people contact them on this issue, the less likely they will be to blow off or dicker about on doing right by us.

18. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I saw here where someone said they were offered replacements, so I contacted them and I'm getting them too. Along with a replacement for the stereo P.S. disc that was a bad pressing on my set.

19. soundhound

soundhound New Member

They did offer me a replacement, and when the new LP's arrived, for me to mail "return to sender" the old discs so as not to be charged for shipping.

I have box #382. Does anyone else have the issue of the "Contact" and "Live in California" not necessarily being mislabeled, but being MISPRESSED? I have side 2 of "Contact" on side 2 of "Live in California" and visa versa. I'm not missing any music, they both sound incredible, but how did they get this mixed up?

20. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

The Contact sessions tracks on "Paradise Lost" are a flat transfer, hence the "recessed"
    rather than compressed sound (crank 'em up...they sound better on a good system).
    The YGMM version with Roky's shout in the intro is a different take than the familiar hit version.

Tommy's jug riffing is also different and slightly more prominent on that take.

21. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Hmm. I kind of like the compressed sound (and usually I'm not much of a fan of that).

I thought that might be the case, but couldn't be sure. They're pretty close -- so much so I thought that shout could have been an overdub or something.

Dale

22. soundhound

soundhound New Member

OOPS, Sorry about that, just realized I asked a question that had already been posed many times prior.

23. soundhound

soundhound New Member

I was searching through the posts and sorry about that, I just realized I asked a question that had already been posed many times prior.[/

24. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

FYI there is a needledrop on “Gnarly Records” out there with the original stereo mixes that puts these reissue LP’s to shame. Also of note....the Contact LP has dropouts throughout all of the songs while “Paradise Lost” is clean as a whistle.

kelhard likes this.
  25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.