Music of the Spheres - The Ultimate 13th Floor Elevators' Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by *Zod*, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Haven't listened to them yet or compared them to the mispressed ones, but got the replacement records of Contact Sessions and Live through from Burning Shed today.

2. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I was wondering if those that got replacement copies if they are you going to sent back the mislabeled copies? They seem to want them pretty bad!

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

4. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

5. texquad

texquad Senior Member

One of my old college friends from Texas is his sound man. That's why J. Mascis mentions it was the talk of the tour. My friend purchased 2 of that set. One to keep and one to sell. Wish I'd thought of that!

6. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I went to high school with J - he was in one of my English classes. His high school band "Deep Wound" played some gigs with my brother's band; I don't think my band ever played with "Deep Wound".

7. rafalor

rafalor Member

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

All I want are the Psychedelic Sounds and Easter Everywhere 2lps, could care less about the other fluff. Surely these will come out as the cd versions already have.

9. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Forum Resident

If you know what the green demon site is, there's an audiophile set there by JWB that completely obliterates any past or forthcoming Elevators remasters. Do yourself a favour, and grab that. If you want the Elevators on vinyl in the best quality, then you'd have to seek out the 60's originals.

Chris M likes this.
  10. rafalor

rafalor Member

Picked up the box set and I'm appalled at how scuffed both sides of every LP are. For the money I paid, I expected at least some poly-lined sleeves. I'm not talking about one or two scuffs but scuffs that look as if someone intentionally rubbed paper on them. I'm gonna give each side a listen and see if I did get incorrectly labeled/pressed sides. I'm debating whether or not to just up and exchange this for another box. Did anyone else have this insane scuffing problem?

11. wildcat1969

wildcat1969 Forum Resident

I ordered this from Amazon and overall, sound quality is noticeably better than the cd's. I enjoyed listening to the elevators catalog on vinyl. Headstone sounds very good to me.

I replaced the record sleeves, because they are cheap, thick paper stock and I did already see a few scuffs. I also wonder how the album covers will hold up. They seem cheap...kind of like the glue might come apart on them.

No label problems on my set.

12. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

True 'Dat!

13. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Or that opening "yeah" was simply mixed out of the "issued" version.

14. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

I think the "Gnarly" issue is the same as the JWB "Remasters" (Audiophile editions). Yes, they sound beautiful and the JWB Fan remaster of "Headstone" kicks the living crap out of the official Charly.

Chris M likes this.
  15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just a note, JWB has disowned his remasters as there are better transfers out there now (of the first 2 albums at least) He also says there's better versions forthcoming ;)

Chris M likes this.
  16. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Ohhhh really!!!! I gotta seek out the better versions and also wait for the new JWB. How could he disown something that was good to start with. He must be a stickler for quality!

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Right. I hear of people complaining about this version of E.E. & BOTW but I have them and think they sound pretty good. I don't have originals though, so what do i know? I don;t feel like taking a second mortgage out to find out what the original sound like!

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

He's is very much a stickler for quality. I didn't know he was planning new versions, but I look forward to them. I agree that a better Psychedelic Sounds has emerged, but I still mostly really like what he did with EE. So any improvement on that would be even better.

19. Monkees Fan

Monkees Fan Active Member

All the bad songs mixes in this band have something to do with Ray Rush. He was a bad producer. I wish they would just repress them with the 60's vinyl stereo mixes.

20. When you speak of the 1976 mixes - are you referring to the International Artists Box Set?

21. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I was impressed over the release of "Sign of the Three Eyed Men",
    it was supposed to be the final say on The Elevators – at least it was
    billed as such. I didn't have the cash then, I don't now ... I looked at
    "sealed" prices and can't believe they'll hold with this release.

Net: Ridiculous.

Nice that the survivors are reconvening in May, though.

22. Can someone tell me if the vinyl has been mastered to feature the extended frequency range found on Tape sources or original vinyl releases.

This is the only reason I would buy this set - if I see the frequency response go above 22,000 cycles - and not squashed by 16 bits .

I bought the 3 eyed cd set for my girlfriend back in 2009 and it's a good set for casual listening and to look at (the book -epherma) but
    the sound quality on the CD's are quite typical of the mastering of the last 20 years - harsh - brittle - balls to the wall nonsense.
    So I 'm afraid if I pull the trigger on this package - I will get a remaster that was digitized to hell and then compressed.

Headstone is what I'm focused on - since it's supposed to be from TAPES - can anyone take the time to see what a spectrogram
    shows in - see if it reaches above 22ooo cycles in true 24 bit. ? Anyone have this ability to share this info? thanks!

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There's no way to tell if vinyl was sourced from 24 or 16 bit. It could be possible to figure the sample rate of the source, but even if these vinyl were sourced from hires files, all indications are that they are the same awful, loud masterings as the CDs. Headstone is from tape source, but not a great tape source. There are various types of tape damage causing dropouts and other nasties. A much nicer sounding copy, also from tape source, is found on the Paradise Lost 2CD.

24. There most certainly is a way , a few actually, one being a sonograph plug-in and a digital input capable of 24/96.

Play a record through the chain, with the software of choice (I use Spark XL or Audition) and set it up to handle 96,000 cycles (96khz)
    and you will have your answer. A higher end cartridge/stylus would be preferred also.

I may have to contact the label that issues Music of the Spheres if no one here can do so - if they are ready to share that info . haha

:D

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I know you can detect the sample rate (44.1, 48, 96), but there is no way to tell the bitrate (16, 24, 32). A vinyl rip from an lp sourced from 44.1 @ 16 bit is going to look the same on a graph as a vinyl sourced from 44.1 @ 24. Same with 96/16 vs 96/24. My point was that you can tell the sample rate, but not the bit depth. If it does show 96khz source, then it's fair to assume it was 24 bit, but it's not a given. Same with 44.1. It could be assumed it was @ 16 bits, but maybe it was 24 bit.

You can ask Charly, but I'd be skeptical of any response. The claims they make publicly about their releases aren't even accurate many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.