"Music On Vinyl" Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudiophilePhil, Feb 20, 2013.

1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

They also did Easy and It's 2 Easy but the cover art wasn't nearly as awful.

Can't you provide or link to details about the tapes being lost?

2. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

3. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

I would assume they had access to the original artwork of Easy and It’s 2 Easy. But even on those rereleases the back covers were poorly replicated.

In regards to the tapes, they’ve been lost. I heard a rumour that the master tape was sent to United Artists for release internationally, but when after the first release of their Australian material failed, The Easybeats were forced to write new original material and the tape of the album was never sent back. Of course that’s a rumour, this thing is somewhat common throughout The Easybeats story, their last album Friends has an awful needledrop on the latest reissue that cuts out the first few seconds of the album and at one point actually skips during one of the songs!

The tape has been lost for awhile, probably only a couple of months after the album’s release as Sorry on the first Best of album (released in 1967) was a needledrop.

I don’t know if the tape has been finally found or not, but all reissues have just been a needledrop of the original pressing. Sounding usually not as good as the original either. Which is a pity since originals are starting to creep up to the $200-$400 range.

Stereolove likes this.
  4. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

didn't know it was that valuable and glad I have one then. I've never been able to get Easy or It's 2 Easy though so I wanted to buy the music on vinyl releases at least.

5. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I heard back from them concerning my complaint on the artwork:

"Thanks for your mail & comment. I see what you mean. In general: for all releases we have to use what we are provided with (Audio & Art), this gets sent to the license giver for approval and they give the final o.k.. Please do remember that for a lot of these releases the original parts are not available anymore, the older they are the harder it gets to get original files. All the best Music On Vinyl"

Regardless of having the original material or not it seems like someone doesn't know basic photoshop color correction.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    patient_ot and Plan9 like this.
  6. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

I'm fully on the MOV bandwagon. Just received "Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway". Far exceeds any version I've heard! Just beautiful. And also, "Nilsson Schmilsson" on MOV sounds remarkably better than the 2014 Sony Vinyl Remaster. So major thumbs up on these historic releases!

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Better late than never.
    Just picked this up. Fantastic indeed.

jumpinjulian and Graham like this.
  8. Easy answer, it's flaming obvious. Who wants to buy scuffed, scratched, dirty noisy, worn LPs with stained, faded, written over, dogeared, creased, seam split, nicotine coated sleeves? Not me anyway. You can't rely on anyone selling on Discogs or EBay. It's a total crap shoot. Everybody claiming they have Mint or Near Mint items are for the most part misleading people. I've spent a lot of money trying in vain to buy honestly graded CDs and LPs over the past 10 years and I'm done with it. Prior to this I never purchased anything second hand in my life and that's what I'm gladly returning to after a decade in the wilderness. If its used its **** to me and no use whatsoever. I want new clean records not garbage other people have eaten their dinner on or sneezed over.

Without a single exception in my collection, the worst condition items are all the ones purchased used.

Even CDs I bought which are only 5-10 years old have been very tatty compared to my own bought new which are now 35 years old. A lot of people are clueless about looking after things.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Happy to say the 2018 Stock, Aitken & Burns Dead or Alive-Mad, Bad and Dangerous is a :righton:
    Same frequency range as my old US Vlado, more punch and not as dry. Peaks look pretty much identical so the original dynamic range is intact.
    I ordered whatever they had on Amazon and surprisingly got the white one. Manufacture gets a A+, no ocean wave background. Unlike Outfields-Play Deep, they had access to better art copies, the high-gloss really compliments Satori's art :)
    [​IMG]

10. Lennonfan120880

Lennonfan120880 Member

I just received "Everybody's Talkin" by Tedeschi Trucks Band (live triple, blue vinyl) today. I'm very pleased with the quality of both the record and the cover/sleeve pictures. Especially for under $50, for a TRIPLE album? Granted they are at the most 2 songs per side/each record, but the length of the performance of each song is longer because it's a live performance and not studio recorded.

I did find a small imperfection on the third record, but it seems to be actually IN the vinyl. It doesn't mess up the songs at all. That's the only thing, which I'm fine with since it seems to be in the vinyl itself. If the vinyl's were black rather than iridescent blue I wouldn't have even seen it.

I'm fairly new to the vinyl scene, as far as newer pressed goes. I have quite a few "older" ones from my father. Now I just need a fairly priced record player with decent sound. :) I'm gonna look around. I don't know how many players out there have speakers IN them, or outer speakers that come with the player. The one I have currently has internal speakers but its not the best sound. It's a newer player that was given to me after a relative passed.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum!

And you are right in thinking that turntables with built-in speakers are not the best sound. Maybe someday you can upgrade by picking up separate components? It will make a big difference to the sound. :agree:

12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

MOV press brilliant records imo. Rarely do I have an issue with any of their vinyl and never to any serious degree.

But all of their vinyl has a digital step regardless of the "master" source utilised. While that is not an issue for me as even the Jimi Hendrix material [as an example] sounds wonderful. The issue is the lack of honesty from MOV in letting their customer know this.

It is so much cheaper to produce vinyl with a digital step involved so maybe they don't tell us so as to keep the prices a little too high.

A few years ago, if anyone took time to dig deep into Record Industry's site they would have found a page that detailed how they cut records and how a digital step was involved. Recently [two days ago] I re checked that page only to find it had been removed. Disappointing that the attempt to bury the truth continues.

The original link still survives on this page, https://jmhvinyl.co.uk/making-records-page-1 or is it this page, Making Records Page 2 | JMHVINYL . Either way, the original comment is also quoted here as the removal of this detail was anticipated!

I've more or less stopped buying MOV records due to the lack of honesty which is a shame because as I stated, their work can be of the highest standard.

Queezma and AudiophilePhil like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Not sure of what? They only cut digital as the cutters have been adapted to do so. Regardless of master used its a digital cut!

And yes, DMM is the MOV standard method but I do not know which records may NOT be cut that way.

14. Gordon Johnson

They were happy to chat with me via email. But they remained vague on AAA / Digital issues / questions. The comment was along the lines of letting the customer decide for themselves!

Really? What business does this other than the music industry?

15. Not everything they press has a "digital step". They pressed both the Dylan Monos and some of the Hendrix titles from the plates already created elsewhere.

Either way, as you said their vinyl is almost always superb quality and well pressed which is more than can be said for Speakers Corner, MFSL, Sundazed, Analogue Productions.

Daveymoore likes this.
  16. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Gordon Johnson is a very unreliable source when it comes to AAA vinyl.
    Several Hendrix threads are filled with the false information he spreads. He doesn't make a difference between his personal assumtions and facts.

The Gomper likes this.
  17. Gordon Johnson

note I said "cut", of course they produce AAA if they are supplied with the metal parts that achieve that status!

SteveM likes this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

Your opinion as usual is unsupported but you are as entitled as anyone one else to pass comment even when its as erroneous as elsewhere!

19. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Hi Gordon my friend :)
    You're the one who presented your opionion regarding MOV as a fact. And as usual you have zero proofs :)

The Gomper likes this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

The last time I bother to engage with you!

Any support for what I say can be found in the linked articles, read it or not your choice. If you do read it and find something that you feel is incorrect let me know but I only will take note if you support any disagreement with reasons as to why I'm incorrect.

21. Gordon Johnson

I pulled this piece from the linked pages in post #859 as I am aware not everyone wants to read thru' 3 pages of something they have no real interest in.

"Here’s a link to an interesting read, https://www.recordindustry.com/audio-artwork/

The key comment for us from this site is this, “We have three in-house mastering rooms, all fully equipped to perform top of the line mastering services. Our mastering rooms are equipped with Neumann VMS cutting lathes, we can cut on both lacquer and DMM. All lathes are customised with digital high resolution delay to provide you with the finest cut achievable.”

Like I said, the original linked page has been removed and replaced.

Personally I have no issue with this statement, it gives me a clear indication as to the work done at RI. Now it seems they really don't want the customer to know!

22. Gordon Johnson

Yes, I do find that MOV have a more consistently high pressing quality. Something I said a few years ago on this forum only to be roundly questioned by some US members! If only MOV had the courage of their convictions and were honest about what they do!

Or better still, back engineered their cutters :)

While I have experienced less issues with MOV vinyl than from any other pressing plant, I have to say I do have excellent vinyl from Sundazed, Analogue Productions, MFSL. I'm reluctant to say anything about Speakers Corner right now as I have one of their pressings in the post to me right now and I don't want to Jinx it, ha ha!

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Picked up the Bar-Kays "Soul Finger" last week and MOV did an excellent job with that one. This is a fantastic record just dripping with that Stax/Volt vibe throughout! Great sound with awesome bottom end. Released in late March 2020...

The Gomper likes this.
  24. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

No :)

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Can you take your arguments to PM please......

The Gomper and kyodo_dom like this.