"Music On Vinyl" Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudiophilePhil, Feb 20, 2013.

1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

3. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

After all these years in this forum I`m actually surprised how much praise MoV gets here - its kind of baffling, really. When for example the Tone Poet and BN80 series get a lot of hate here because of the "wow" and "flutter" problems, good portion of MoV re-issues are actually pure garbage soundwise, I wouldn't even want these records for free. I have owned about 20 - 25 MoV titles and most of them have been bad and I mean really bad - I think its been mostly titles that have been released during the CD era and cutting these from CD-s (or from high-resolution files) don't make them any better - sequencing doesn't work with the vinyl sides, most records have terrible inner groove distortion, some cover artwork has been blown up from the CD cover etc. Ugh, terrible. I have sold all of my MoV records so far, the only one I have kept is the Audioslave s/t and Opeth - Damnation.

I think some of the appeal might got to do that most of this forum is from US and MoV seems like a cool EU import.

These are the titles I have sold: most of the Dream Theater catalog, Faith No More and Opeth re-issues, Dave Brubeck - Time Out, RATM re-issues.

mooseman and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Think I have only 1 from the 90's, a Static-X title picked up for the design which is excellent. But for the most part for 90's and later titles I don't waste my time/money on.
    ELO's are excellent, the mastering used for these were the straight dynamic hi-rez digital's. Not the bastardized one's used for later remasters etc..
    Outfield I wasn't impressed with, Cinderella-Long Cold Winter I was. The Depeche Modes, that's going to be up to you if you enjoy the 2007 digital remasters (used for the compact discs/SACD/DVD) or not.

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Well, for a start...the reissue of Dirt is a recut. Tell me what matrix info is on the original EU and where it appears on the MOV matrix? Same with Jar of flies. Only unplugged uses original metalwork Occasionally, MoV get it wrong and give out the wrong info. They obviously have it down incorrectly on their database. The easiest way to tell if original plates were used is to look at the matrix. You don’t need to even ask MOV if you know how to read the dead wax.

The Gomper likes this.
  6. I wish you all would make a distinction between pressing quality & sound quality. MoV does only the former consistently well.

Strat-Mangler and kannibal like this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I did in post #869 but I get you for sure.

One of the worse sounding "modern" pressings I own has to be the MOV AYE [2LP] from 2015. It switches between outstanding to unlistenable track by track.
    At least it is centred and sits flat, plays quiet too. Well at least that's how I remember it from five years ago.

Geee! likes this.
  8. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Speaking for myself, it has little to do with the fact that they’re imports; most MOV titles these days are readily and affordably available in the US via Amazon and many other retailers. European imports were far more exotic and rare 20–25 years ago. I think people like their product because the pressing quality is reliably good, and in most cases, it’s the only option when it comes to acquiring a new, reasonably affordable vinyl copy of an album that has typically been out of print for some time. MOV seems to release a lot of albums that wouldn’t have been otherwise reissued by their original labels.

I’d agree that the attention to detail when it comes to Reproducing the original artwork is often lacking.

ronton99, APH, candyflip69 and 4 others like this.
  9. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Just got a copy of Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway, and am listening to it on a rainy Tokyo Tuesday morning. It sounds fantastic. I've had no problems with any of the 20 or so MOV titles I've picked up in recent years.

10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

anybody have the Modern Lovers debut on MoV? Recommend it?

11. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

What title are you referring to, exactly?

12. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I think I only have a couple MOV by Dream Theater, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Train Of Thought. I am sure they are from digital masters due to release years and originally only on CD. They both sound spectacular with a lot of dynamics and resolution, for me much better than the CD versions I have. I can't think of other MOV releases I have at the moment.

FWIW, avg DR of Six Degrees = 12, TOT = 10

joshm2286 and The Gomper like this.
  13. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Yeah, the STP and White Zombie LPs i have sound amazing and are marked sonic improvements over the CDs...

14. I think this is a superb release from MOV:

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i do and i think it sounds just fine, especially given the rather "lo-fi" nature of the album to begin with.

pressing quality on white vinyl is flawless.

YardByrd likes this.
  16. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Just picked up Tony Joe White’s Black And White and it sounds great. Every MOV I’ve ever picked up has been worth every dime. All the Dylan’s(most from AAA plates) and Gene Clark’s No Other are stellar pressings.

17. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Boo Radley, Haircut 100 and Todd Rundgren's Utopia releases?

18. Jotace

Jotace Member

I came across a few of their soundtrack releases and would be interested on knowing if they are worthy. Could anyone give me more info about them?

19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Reissue Labels To Avoid and Some Best to Proceed With Caution

"The Netherlands based Music on Vinyl label issues some albums cut from analog sources but mostly from high resolution files sourced from masters that they obtain directly from the labels (at least based on my experience)."

"The bottom line is, be careful. Just because something's been pressed on 180 gram vinyl doesn't mean its going to sound good or that it was sourced from analog."

Plan9, Yovra and Jotace like this.
  20. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

MOV is (in my experience with a cpl dozen of their releases) always fantastic pressing quality. The handful of sndtrks I've had from them are no different (i believe some of them fall under their "At The Movies" series.) The only thing I would bear in mind of you're new to MOV is that pretty much all of their releases have a bit of a bump in the low end EQ... Some people absolutely love it, some hate, I personally am happy with their output except when an album doesn't benefit from more low end. Some albums, like say Ministry "Filthpig", are so abrasive in the top that the added bottom was a welcome shift to really help round out the sound in a pleasing way. I remember being very pleased with that effect on STP "Purple" as well (though the top isn't harsh on that one, the added sonic weight was pleasing.) Other albums, like The Cure "Seventeen Seconds" and Alice In Chains "Dirt", end up losing a little detail and forward-mids due to the bottom taking up more of the sonic real estate. Though those 2 MOV records still sound & are pressed great, I've done shootouts & far prefer the original (but more costly) pressings.
    Back to their soundtracks, i've only some of their 90s re-releases (of which some were never pressed on vinyl beforehand to begin with) and I couldn't be happier! Again, especially with 90s albums from MOV, I'd always expect at least CD quality with a little bump in the bottom end. That can either help or slightly hinder an album, depending.

Chris Bernhardt and Jotace like this.
  21. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I just bought Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out from MOV. I have the DOL version, so I really hope it at least sounds better than that version.

Jotace likes this.
  22. Jotace

Jotace Member

I came across things like "THE RED VIOLIN", "TITANIC" or that Morricone and Yo-Yo Ma's album which were never released on vinyl. Also some new stuff like "DA 5 BLOODS" which is only available as vinyl and digital. I guess all of them are just digital transferred to record lp?

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Not sure I agree about them being bumped in the bottom end. I have a lot of their releases and I would say if anything, they are bumped up at the top end. They cut DMM so some of their releases tend to err towards the tonally bright.

Soundslave likes this.
  24. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Can say the same about the EQ - not all of their releases have some bass up, probably depends on the master source (tape or hi-res).
    As far as soundtracks - I only have their Judgment Night, and it sounds totally okay. Definitely not worse than other MOV releases.

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Do I understand it correctly that MOV are better than a company like DOL because they actually have some sort of relationship with the original labels and therefore somewhat have access to the original tapes or at least decent masters?

GentleSenator and richbdd01 like this.