"Music On Vinyl" Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudiophilePhil, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Yes. MOV's releases are fully licenced and authorized. DOL release public domain titles.

2. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

Yes they are always working with the original publishers.

Ah quick response

Kristofferabild likes this.
  3. I really like MOV and they put out good product even with digital sources. Often they release represses of hard to find or expensive titles. I actively seek them out and even prefer a release or two over the originals.

4. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Weird! Yeah maybe it is album dependant & they bump one end or the other at their discretion. All of mine that I've done shootouts vs original LPs or CDs were routinely noticeably bigger on the bottom & the about the same as their predecessor in the mids/highs. Not my carts/setup talking either. BUT I do now remember hearing their White Zombie "Astro Creep" having less bottom than the original CD! But again to the contrary, as I think back, their version of Alice In Chains Jar Of Flies does have a low bump vs my original Euro vinyl (and more IGD during "Whale & Wasp.")
    I wonder if they have/had a cpl different people (with different preferences) prepping files before sending 'em out to press... :confused:

Either way, still a great reissue company, in my book. I never hesitate when I see a release of theirs that I need... So many great ones.

Micke Lindahl and richbdd01 like this.
  5. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Excellent quality pressings and the only records i never have to worry about cleaning before playing as they are silent & perfectly clean straight out the sleeve. Something very few other labels seem capable of doing.

6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I just did a comparison of my OG copy of Exhorder's Slaughter in the Vatican versus Music On Vinyl and I, too, prefer the original, though I don't think the MoV is bad. By chance, both the OG and MoV were pressed at the same physical plant, albeit under different ownership (Sony/CBS and Record Industry, in respective order). To me, the guitars and bass are a bit louder than the original, so it's likely a combination of being the nature of DMM and the mastering specifically for vinyl. I agree about Ministry's Filth Pig, as it sounded better than the CD/digital.

And for the soundtrack, I own The Transformers Original Soundtrack and while the reproduced artwork leaves a lot to be desired due to blurriness and being "dirty" looking", the audio is well-pressed and sounds pretty good.

patient_ot and TongueDruid like this.
  7. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

A MOV title that gets it all just about right, against some very well fancied vintage competition...

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I thought the MOV was the 90's remix. Did I get the wrong info about that?

candyflip69 likes this.
  9. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Man what a great shootout! I'd absolutely go for the the '80 promo followed very closely by the MOV, but I could definitely see anybody choosing the MOV incase the '80 promo's top end is a little too crispy for their taste. That original pressing was surprisingly awfully blanketed in comparison to both!
    Case in point: even though 1st pressings/masters (pre-'90s) can often win out, blanket statements about 1st VS later pressings often have been proven wrong to very many ears. Every album is case-by-case with its pressing/mastering history. MOV has pulled thru with beautiful source/mastering results on good occasion (ie - STP "Purple") and their pressing quality, both vinyl & its packaging, is usually pretty top tier in this age. It seems people have received a botched record of theirs once in a blue moon, a pretty rare exception... Especially less so than most other busy companies' outputs these days.

10. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

No, you are 100% right to my understanding.

Regardless of source and mix, these shootouts are designed to show the case by case, and preference for each user's ear.
    If the mix is slightly different that's OK, as we are not seeking to decide which music sounds best, but what pressing delivers the best experience.
    Obviously vastly different versions of songs and music would not be helpful (although you could argue that it ends up providing the same assistance to someone wondering what version/copy of a title they should own, regardless). Minor tweaks to the mix should be ok for most people.

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Been saying that since it got released but hard for most to let go of their W2 pressings. Had 2 of them and they stink, IMHO! The MOV is by *far* the very best this has ever sounded.

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I watched a lot of the video. I was confused as some of those mixes sound identical. Just making sure!

candyflip69 likes this.
  13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

alright, enough. i'm actually going to track one down now. i can't handle any more of your ringing endorsements!

hi_watt and Strat-Mangler like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

:laughup:

Let me know your thoughts once you get it. :righton:

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Get the Analog Productions 45 rpm if you can find it. The long OOP Classic Records version is also fine. I really can't endorse MOV for anything recorded analogue with a few exceptions where they got lacquers from Sterling or used old metalwork they have at Record Industry. They are fine for albums recorded to digital as they use 24/96 source if possible.

16. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Mannn...I've come across that Music On Vinyl pressing a few times, and have ignored it. If I ever come across one, you bet I am getting it. Getting the promo '80 copy won't hurt either.

candyflip69 likes this.
  17. Classicrock

Sorry that is a joke of a comparison. A repress from 1980 and US pressing both likely nothing special. If you are going to big up the MOV at least compare with the UK original , MCA Heavy Vinyl and Classic Records 200 gram. I'm not sure how this video has not been blocked. Fremer had a Who's Next playing on a show coverage video and had to mute it so he could show the video.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Tommyboy, candyflip69 and Neonbeam like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The German original isn't too bad either. :righton:

candyflip69 likes this.
  19. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I looked at that, but it was very expensive here in the EU. I am very satisfied with the MOV though, it sounds a lot better than the POS DOL.

20. Classicrock

Yes it will do but well short of an audiophile AAA cut.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Everything I'm reading says the MOV reissue is pulled from the '95 remix. Kinda pointless to compare that to any LP featuring the original mix if the goal is to compare pressing and mastering quality.

Reminds me of people that compare a vintage mono mix to a stereo reissue on jazz records and such. Also pointless. They need a vintage stereo company of said record if they are going to claim any sort of mastering and pressing comparison.

Back to WN, there are other LP reissues that use that '95 remixes, so if you want to compare remixes you need another remix LP.

Tommyboy, nosliw, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Digital source prepped for vinyl cutting then cut into a DMM plate. Sometimes it turns out okay but it's a very assembly-line process. I don't get the high praise for this label at all.

Record Industry is a pretty good pressing plant though, at least by today's standards.

Jotace, nosliw and kannibal like this.
  23. APH

APH Forum Resident

I recently noticed the MOV of Tom Waits Rain Dogs has gone up in price. It’s very good, similar to uk first.
    I’ve also got MOV and uk first of bandwagonesque they sound totally different. MOV much more bass

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

MOV at least pays licensing fees from the rights holders. They will usually be working with whatever 24 bit digital files are provided by the rights holder. DOL has no legit access to any of that. What you get is a CD rip or torrented download pressed to vinyl.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

In that video the 80s promo sounded the most balanced to my ears.

hi_watt likes this.