Music stores in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by bigmacc, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLB9977

LLB9977 Member

interesting thread. to chip in, i had a pretty gawd awful experience at discovery records on queen east. i got the sense it was a place for regulars only as soon as i walked in. the selection was nothing special, but the owner (or employee?) was watchin me like a hawk the whole time and not even being discreet about it. ok , fair enough, its never happened before, but hey , some guys are like that. but when im looking at albums and the guy keeps tellin me ' make sure you put it "A Album" back in the "A section". i gotta admit, i thought "what the f@%#?". And he tells me, i got a system going and i dont want it to get messed up. all i could say was "yeah guy, real complicated stuff here". And then i just walked out, i wouldnt give a black penny to this guys store. never could understand that type. But if you like CD'S. DIXIE RECORDS at the flea market in dixie value mall will be the best music shopping experience you will have. the owner is a real sweetheart. check him out.

2. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I was there a couple years ago - completely agree. Found some nice Canadian-issued CD's (Silver Eagle compilations) and the owner was very friendly.

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

...never liked that guy (haven't even seen him in 15 or more years)

4. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Soundscapes on College is the best store in the city now, hands down. Dixie Records is, of course, in Mississauga.

5. johnny 99

Sonic Boom is my favourite. Quality used product in good condition at good prices and one helluva nice staff who smile, chat with you and make you feel good about being there (and they're happy to be there as well!)

No pretentious BS with this staff at all.

6. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

I went there for the first time a few weeks back and I had to bail after only 3 minutes of squatting down, getting up, moving over, squatting back down, getting up, etc. I haven't been back since, nor will I ever.

I quite like Monster Records on the west side of Yonge, somewhere between Bloor and Wellesley. I've picked up many good records there - all in great condition - and Roger is a nice guy and can be very accommodating.

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I second that!

8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Anyone been to Discovery Records on E.Queen lately, I was wondering how the store was doing. I haven't been able to get up to Toronto for over a year.

9. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Have not seen Burt in a few years, but in the 80s Vortex was the place to go on Dundas east of Yonge St. Nice guy and would always give a discount if you had a few Lps. Knew Andy as well at that time, nice guys small small store that was always packed (with people and Lps). Regular crowd, so perhaps the move to the new location has dulled his senses a bit?.

sean

10. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I haven't been to Soundscapes in a couple of years, but back then I found some of the staff to be pretty obnoxious. The selection was fantastic, but the prices were very high. Average price was $19.99 to $22.99.

Again, this was 2 or 3 years ago. Can anyone comment as to how it is now?

11. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Same people and I have never found them obnoxious...they KNOW their music...and some are friends too....
    As far as prices being high...they are an independent and most of what they carry is imported.

12. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Perhaps I just caught one of the staff members on an off day. No matter, I should check out the store again, it's been a while.

Have they brought in vinyl, or are they cd only still?

13. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

I've noted no changes over the last 10 years or so and I still make the 30 min cross city drive for the rather expensive classical (NM condition, typically) and some rock and jazz.

Brian

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

No vinyl yet...I think it's been a space consideration, but as the climate changes regarding CD's, I'm sure they will respond in time...

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

He was the nicest guy ever. Me and my friends would always visit every Sunday and were around when he went from Vinyl to CDs. His pitch has gotten much bigger and more professional over the years - saying that I don't think I've been there in 5 years (live in the UK now) but he always had something that I wanted.

He paid great prices for used cds too. I think he was making about $2 a cd. Buy at $8 sell at $10. Went up a bit after because of taxes and the like when he got just to big.

Great guy though. He even let me sell something on consignment a few times. HE didn't want to take the risk but we made a deal and its not like he wanted 50% either just a few dollars.

He used to call Mr Bootleg because he knew I collected bootlegs. Great guy. Thanks for mentioning him.

Eddie

16. Jabb3rw0ck

Jabb3rw0ck New Member

Rics Recollections, its in Mississauga on lakeshore just before Hurontario. You should defenitely check it out if you get the chance. Has a large audiophile selection. All his lps are cleaned and sound amazing.

ohh he is a nice guy aswell.

www.ricrec.com

yay first post.

17. johnny 99

Roger's a huge Thin Lizzy fan and had something to do with the statue of Phil Lynott being erected in Ireland.

Cool guy!

18. Both Soundscapes and Sonic Boom are excellant stores.
    Hopefully they can both stay open!

The new vinyl and jazz at Sonic Boom blows my mind!

19. LLB9977

LLB9977 Member

Dixie Records has not changed much. yes its a bigger operation now. but the owner Don, still gives good $ for clean cd's and dvd's.. and cds are rarely over 10 bucks. he has a pretty big tv dvd section and they sell for around $30. Everything he sells is mint, so there is never an issue with quality. he even leaves empty jewel cases free for the taking by the cashier.

dixie value mall, saturdays and sundays.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.