Music that makes/made you feel old?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...: )

2. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

It's not the songs/music that make me feel old but the diminished vocal abilities of the singer that remind me of my age. For example, both Steve Stills and Dylan are in my generation, and I just can't listen to their voices any longer without really feeling down.

3. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

When I hear the younger folk at work talking about having been to a “retro 80s” or “retro 90s” party or themed event on the weekend. That makes me feel old...I cannot bring myself to think of these periods as “retro”.

Samantha Wolf likes this.
  4. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

I don't remember what year it was but I saw a commercial for the Grammy's and I thought "I haven't heard of hardly anybody who's going to be on that show."

5. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I refuse to accept this as just youngsters... a changing of the guard. I regard it simply as ignorance of basic and important knowledge of the world. Liking or not someone of the stature of Chuck Berry is not the issue and that's fine either way, to each their own... but not knowing who he is frankly is frightening and sort of angers me; although that's probably more of an issue of mine. Being dumfounded was a totally understandable reaction. I don't think however it's a question of age. I overheard 2 kids in I'd guess in their early teens, probably younger discussing / debating Chuck Berry vs. Little Richard the other day. I wouldn't let your student doctor a family pet. Again, it's a major indication of lack of worldliness and general knowledge... was she raised in a cave. If she was a "House", a medical prodigy, a savant, I'd understand and be grateful to be treated by her... but was she? If not; it may sound unreasonable, but I honestly would question her ability as a doctor based upon her not being able to relate to, have an understanding of the world and so, to myself and my needs in an encompassing, wholistic, human way as I believe is required, in the field of medicine as in most things and professions. And I'd just add to bolster my position... a 25 year old... I'd consider Chuck Berry and his legacy to be within her own time. Easily within her time. I'd be curious to know what else she is ignorant of. I'm honestly fascinated by someone who must have a degree of intelligence and drive not knowing such basic information of the world. I'd expect any 25 year old wether or not they give a damn about music of not to know who Chuck Berry was. Rave on about my shock I tell myself. No; Got keep my anger in check... breath and keep it in perspective.

Dumbfounded and shocking; and if it's not... I'm truly worried about the future... but I'm not worried. Not yet anyway. Rave On young rock n' rollers Rave On! I wonder if she knew who Buddy Holly was.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Not a type of music in particular, but about a year ago I said something about jukeboxes, and my two assistants (early 20s university students) laughed the way I probably did when my dad talked about slide rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.