Music vs. Equipment (Poll)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oscillation, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

I hear they have 14 year old's running dynamite into the mines in Peru. Pretty sure that wasn't their life choice.

timind and Oelewapper like this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

What a gigantic red herring. If I only had the choice of one album to listen to, I'd do without.
    -Bill

Agitater likes this.
  3. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Another "are you a music or equipment person?" thread. Are reddit's servers down?

Agitater, bever70, timind and 2 others like this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Maybe it pays better than pottery or is easier than cutting crops...
    And no, I am not justifying child labor, just trying to view their world from their perspective.
    -Bill

Agitater likes this.
  5. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

Well I'm sure they do it for a reason...

6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I can certainly enjoy music on even a small portable transistor radio. I know I have many times. I also know that a lower priced synergistically matched system can be more enjoyable sound wise than a far more expensive poorly matched one. It just takes a bit of work.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Which reminds me of the Muzak I listen to in my local big chain grocery store. They were playing what I refer to be a badly recorded or mix/mastered mid '70's song called "Magic" by the group Pilot. I tried to fix the sound in Audacity but it's just so mushy with all instruments sounding shrill and playing at full tilt. I gave up on it.

Listened to it over the Muzak system at my grocer and it sounded less harsh but it still was a bit mushy. You really don't want to crank this song up even on the best systems. Sounds better on smaller speakers like a boombox.

jusbe and steveharris like this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Some of the best music and days of my life were as a kid on the beach in SoCal listening to KRLA and KFWB on a little transistor radio. Those were were there know. :)

Oscillation and Tone? like this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Music I don't care for ? Not even through the best system on Earth.

Oscillation and Tone? like this.
  10. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

It was KHJ for me on Redondo and Hermosa Beaches in the 70's.

Oscillation likes this.
  11. Voted for the second because sometimes at work people play nice albums on crappy computer speakers and I would prefer to listen to the silence instead, but I don´t know, what´s the point of playing an album if you don´t like it... Just to confirm you don´t like it maybe, so, playing it one time probably.

12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I can say one thing for sure. Even though I can enjoy all kinds and quality of music on even something like a small portable transistor radio I find that I’m enjoying some music that I thought previously was poorly recorded is sounding far better as the quality of my equipment improves. I’m surprised at how many recordings have proven out to be that way. My first introductions to music were live and that’s a tough bar to reach with recordings no matter how sophisticated the equipment.

If we love music we can adapt to listening to it under most circumstances regardless of the equipment. I guess being who we are drives us constantly towards better quality reproduction and why shouldn’t it ?

Oscillation likes this.
  13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Great post.

yeah me and my sister had transistor radios and loved them.
    And at some point we had those mono flat cassette players and would have the best time listening to music on them while on an island in Greece.
    Our family stayed at this place every year on the island of Skopelos from 80’-82’ which had no power. Yup that’s right. No electricity.
    Had those cassette players and kerosene lamps and sat at night , listening to music and playing backgammon. Wonderful times and memories.

thanks for that.

Oscillation, C10 and csgreene like this.
  14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That should have said, "Those who were there..."

Tone? likes this.
  15. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

ha yeah I got it

16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You know, I lived in SF for three years from the end of '73 until the end of '76. Lived on Stanyan just off Haight, then over on Hugo near Keezar, and finally on Jackson off Polk. I'd moved up from WLA with a friend and his wife. I'd been selling hi-fi systems in LA but got on with SF Sheriff's Dept. shortly after I moved to the city. Interesting times. I imagine it's much different today... ;)

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Same answer as the right one to the trolley dilemma problems, find and kill the person who’s abusing power by imposing the sadistic and fascistic binary choice.

Oscillation likes this.
  18. AL01

AL01 Eh?

At least it isn't one of those weird choppy digital radios...

19. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I picked bad album on a Dream System -
    because I can then ditch the album and put on another and keep the dream system.
    No way do I want to keep a transistor radio (have not owned one of those for years) ;)

20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I keep one handy for power outages, etc.

Oscillation and john greenwood like this.
  21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I guess I'd take good music on a mediocre system, simply because I can't live without good music. Bad music on a stellar system is probably going to sound even worse, for a resolving system tends to emphasize both good and bad.

Oscillation likes this.
  22. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Neither its like people now listening to music on their smartphone speaker, drives me nuts, good music on a good system only for me.

23. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Listen to this crap twice in a row ( with your eyes closed) and you will be running for that transistor radio.

24. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

music everytime - if it is a previously known track / album played on a transistor radio then I can fill in any SQ gaps in my head and still enjoy it

Oscillation likes this.
  25. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Listen to this crappy ear cochlea damager twice and you will be running for that transistor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.