Music vs. Equipment (Poll)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oscillation, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The poll is almost presenting a Hobson’s Choice. One choice in the poll is the option of listening to terrible music, the reason for which is unclear except that there’s an enticement related to listening to such awful music on a demonstrably exotic system. The OP’s vaguely proffered explanations use circular logic meant only to encourage more posts rather than actually describing his motivation. But then, you wouldn’t be able to hear the system anywhere near its best because the recording is so awful or the music is so hated by you. So, what would be the point of making such a choice? I detest most of the compositions of Hindemith, Alban Berg, and a couple of other modernists. I’ve heard the compositions played live by everyone from the Toronto Symphony Orchestra to the Vienna Philharmonic in some of the finest performances halls in the world. To me, Hindemith, Berg and all their ilk all still sound like ****. Same goes for all the recordings of those composers heard through some of the finest and/or most expensive audio systems. “Hated” music, as the OP puts it, is still hated.

The only other choice in the poll is to listen to a tiny system - a transistor radio. But that’s an easy choice to make because I estimate that fully half the braintrust who participate in SHF are of an age that would seem to ensure their original love of music was kindled by listening to rock and pop and/or classical and/or jazz broadcast by local radio stations and picked up by whatever small transistor radio their parents could afford for them or that they could afford for themselves with money earned doing a paper route or saving allowance quarters or working the other odd jobs that kids could get.

That leads me to believe the OP is too young to realize how many of us grew up (at least for a few years) on little transistor radios. Or maybe the OP is conducting a weak psychology experiment? Or maybe he’s doing a bit of guerrilla marketing for Oswald’s Mill Audio? Or maybe… whatever.

Good music - that is to say, any music that an individual enjoys hearing - transcends the delivery system. Anyone who is wholly unable to enjoy his favorite music on anything other than a high quality home audio system may be ‘guilty’ of having immersed himself in the hardware too deeply.

Preferring
    to listen to only a good system is one thing. Becoming incapable of enjoying favorite music on anything other than a good system is actually a minor psychological issue that should be at least acknowledged as such even if it never gets addressed…

…because, basically, who cares - i.e., I want my nice systems, and the OP can enjoy his desert island and his transistor radio all by himself.

2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

of course

3. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

Pretty sure you can rule out the "too young" thing, because I, in fact, bought a transistor radio with money I earned from my paper route ...

csgreene, Agitater and troggy like this.
  4. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Your question broke my brain…and my soul.

but in the end as I’m starving to death on a desert island I choose good music on a transistor radio because at least I can sing along and it will invoke the memory of the music played on a good system

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

In order of preference:

Great album on transistor radio
    Silence
    Crap album on dream system

6. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

the dude played one song, and you've already profiled him and declared he has horrible taste in music

Simoon likes this.
  7. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Younger readers will not know what a "transistor radio" is ....

bever70 likes this.
  8. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Yep, see my post #85 on page 4.

9. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I blame Alan Parsons for threads like this.;)

In the early 2000's he said, “Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment.”

If anything, he is describing a minority of audiophiles. But overall, from my experience, he is just plain wrong, and so is everyone else that believes the same stereotype.

As I have stated several times, I belong to the LA/Orange County Audio Society, and I have had quite a bit of experience listening to some of the member's extreme high end systems. And almost universally, after they play a few selections of "audiophile recordings", they will play a larger selection of mainstream music.

It sure sounds to me, like Parson's quote, and anyone else who falls for this quote, is making a "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

If I prove that I truly care much more about the music (which is true), instead of the gear, despite considering myself an audiophile, I have a feeling Parsons would say, "then you aren't a true audiophile, then".

10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Color me surprised by the results...

11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Can I have a half decent album on a half decent system?

Oelewapper and BSU like this.
  12. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Without good music,i dont think i would have a reason to own a good system....makes me sad thinking about it :(

13. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I fathom that very mentality in an attendant to an audio show. I’ve experienced that very situation more than once. That’s why I used to carry my own discs to audition equipment specially speakers.

Ted Torres Jr, Tim 2 and Big Blue like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And the "Dillydipper Thread Unraveling With Common Sense Award" for 2021 goes to...!

Personally, I would rather choose creating an outdoor sculpture garden with a Play-Doh Fun Factory, but...:shrug: :D

powerq and Agitater like this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

And I'm glad to see a few audiophiles that aren't afraid to divert a few dollars into a hobby they love, to hear music the way it was intended.

Ted Torres Jr likes this.
  16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That’s different, though, in that it’s intended to be a demonstration of an equipment’s capabilities. That’s not a typical listening situation.

Khorn likes this.
  17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Does 28 count as “younger”? :p

Big Blue likes this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I always take my pre-recoded test disc to the local salons when auditioning equipment.

Ted Torres Jr and Khorn like this.
  19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yesterday I ripped my recently acquired SACD of Mahler’s 5th Symphony (Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra on Channel Classics). To check out the rip, I played the opening through my laptop computer speakers. (JRiver may have converted it to hi rez FLAC.). Really didn’t cut it. :winkgrin:

Khorn likes this.
  20. Khorn

Guess a bigger laptop is in order.

john greenwood likes this.
  21. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

it's all about the music, but i think i do appreciate having a decent system to play it on

Tim 2, Ted Torres Jr and Khorn like this.
  22. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

not just extreme audiophiles

23. Khorn

I hope that is the objective of most around here.

Tim 2, Ted Torres Jr and roverb like this.
  24. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

I know that I am here for 2 reasons.

First for the excellent guidance I can get on equipment and recording choices, because I want the best listening experience I can personally afford.
    Second to ramble on incoherently on issues of personal interest.

roverb, BSU, Khorn and 1 other person like this.
  25. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

I know, if you pick up a copy of Stereophile or The Absolute Sound their music reviews are almost always lame boring stuff. The classical reviews aren't too bad but the Jazz and Rock selections are as innocuous and middle of the road as it gets. Does the world really need another Enya review ?

roverb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.