Musical, Fun Cartridge Recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Now you have to try the Auditorium 23 SUT for the Denon and take it up another notch! ;)

Dignan2000 and Seafinch like this.
  2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

This is what I was thinking of getting next. I could use an OM stylus but would that take the fun out of it? I want the high output and extra bass slam! Was eyeing the "Vibe" cart.

3. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I know! I have a local buddy waiting on one. When it arrives we’ll try it here too. I know it’s widely accepted that the a23 is the best for the 103, but this HM-3 pairing is pretty magic!

Dignan2000 and Erocka2000 like this.
  4. I'd like to see better QC and more attention to quiet record materials, but I haven't seen a record pressing plant that didn't look like an industrial factory nor have I seen records pressed in a clean room. I just got a newly pressed record that was pressed by Third Man Records, I believe it might have been a "Blue Note" current re-issue and I was really impressed with the quality. It was as good, but probably better than the ones pressed by QRP.

5. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I had a chance to A/B the A23 and HM-3 for a bit; the A23 won but not by much!

Seafinch likes this.
  6. Seafinch

Nice. You remember what the differences were?

7. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Imaging was the main thing, as I recall. A23 had the edge in width and depth, emphasized the 103’s euphonic presentation. Felt like the HM-3 was more precise, maybe? But flattened things dimensionally.

I still kinda wish I’d kept the Hashimotos as well, though.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

sounds like the right recipe, thanks !

Seafinch likes this.
  9. avanti1960

Sea,
    The LH18H only has 2 positions for the cartridge- this worked OK on your G for proper alignment?

Seafinch likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

That style has a screw to clamp the headshell part to the the connector barrel, so you can move it for azimuth and overhang...

[​IMG]

Helom, avanti1960 and Seafinch like this.
  11. Seafinch

like @Davey said, there’s a screw on the barrel that allows you to fine tune overhang.

avanti1960 likes this.
  12. avanti1960

thanks gents.

Seafinch likes this.
  13. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Tony, what did you end up getting, if anything?

I mounted the 301 mkii for the first time in a while, for the money it still has to be one of the most musical / detailed cartridges going. ( I got mine for $280 a few years back, they've of course gone up.

Not sure it has the fun / sizzle factor you might be after, but musical it is! I've always been impressed what this delivers for the money. I think they're over $400 these days, so that would leave something left over for a nice digital cable. :)

Anyway wouldn't have sought your thread out if I wasn't impressed (again) with the 301 mkii, it's definitely on par with the mid ranged AT's I have (AT33's, OC9's variants) musically. Doesn't get the press it should methinkst.

ranch 22b likes this.
  14. Davey

$330 from 2juki, but yea, $449 retail in the US now. Denon cartridge prices here have just about doubled in the last few years. I've never heard one, but know there are quite a few fans here, it fared very well in the big under $1000 MC poll here.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  15. TheVinylAddict

The $280 I quoted above was from 2juki also :) bought in like 2018 I think...

16. TheVinylAddict

Plus, at I think 22cu @10Hz, it would make a nice match if you thought your tonearm was in the 9G EM range to boot...(the 301)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  17. TheVinylAddict

BTW, your post made me go find that poll again -- I noticed I didn't vote, and when I thought about it again, I came to the same conclusion "how can I pick just one?" Maybe my curse is I own too many of 'em, and it would have been easier if I owned one, and picked that one which is probably more common... :)

Hana SL sure fared well too, one I have to try. (or the EL).

18. Davey

I think maybe some of you take these polls a bit too seriously. It's just for fun, you aren't being asked to make a long term commitment :)

avanti1960 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

Thanks Dad. :)

And no, I don't take too many things that seriously, trust me, especially your poll.

avanti1960 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  20. Davey

Hehe, I'll give you three picks on my next poll, like I did on the big SUT poll.

Glmoneydawg and TheVinylAddict like this.
  21. TheVinylAddict

With an all of the above option!!

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  22. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Just seeing this thread and so there is likely more discussion on this after your post here but…

In MY experience, the Denon does more than fine with a “medium” mass tone arm. Truly. I think many of those that weigh in on the absolute need for a high mass arm are just regurgitating what they’ve heard elsewhere. I’m sure some have experienced differences but I 100% think it is not gospel. Must be very table dependent.

I have a Pioneer PLX-1000. Stock arm. Obviously very similar to the Technics table. Have owned a Denon 103R for a couple years now. For the longest time I used it with the headshell weight and aux counterweight. Sounded great. Then I switched over to a Nag MP-200 for many months.

Then for some reason a couple weeks ago I decided to try the Denon WITHOUT the extra weights. And guess what?!? It sounded the same if not just a smidge better. (Normal caveats apply “IMO”, “to my ears”, “on my system”, “in my room”, etc).

Don’t be afraid to try one of these out on a “less than ideal” tone arm.

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. avanti1960

Not yet Tim, I may have come to my senses. I lost sight of the value in buying a cartridge that will not sound as good as the one I use on a daily basis.

24. TheVinylAddict

Not an overly surprising conclusion... hard to argue that.

Glmoneydawg likes this.