Musically ignorant singers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I am NOT defending people like Spears or Aguilera but we need to remember that there have been a lot of big selling artists that knew nothing about music that preceeded them. Many of the hot groups today will become nothing more than a hit song on golden oldie radio. Many of the hits played on AM radio in the sixties now belong to faceless wonders. My take on this is that Spears won't even be remembered in 20 years.
    But on the other hand I said that about Madonna and Prince in 84.

I'm old so leave me alone. How did that saying go never trust anyone under 40. :frog:

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Louis Armstrong comes to mind. As do half of the studio musicians in Nashville. Many of the guitar players read these dots on a page. Not real music with a a staff and time signature and noted key, crescendos and decrescendos, coda. much less even know what an alto clef looks like.

3. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

There's a new item on the menu at the Forum Grill. It's Cajun lunch specials on Thursdays.

:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

Just the legs. mmmm... tastes like chickin' . I guar-ron-tee :)

P.S. Sorry, Steve, I'm claiming irresistable urge defense.

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Well, it is ultimately a matter of cultural environment. maybe our current young stars are more familiar with fashion and dance than with old musicians.

Perhaps Miss Spears would be similarly astonished if one of us couldn't name all of Snow White's dwarves.

In the Spanish language we used to employ the word "vedette" for female performers that were beautiful, could dance, sing and show skin somewhat capably.

Most of the current wave of young acts are more vedettes than singers, much less artists.

Shakira used to be an excellent sensitive singer-songwriter but became a bimbo vedette. So disappointing but money is good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.