Musicians in bands that dont get enough credit or accolades

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wombat Reynolds, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gord D

Gord D Forum Resident

Ed Wynne of Ozric Tentacles

October Man likes this.
  2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Warren Haynes in the Allman Brothers circa 2000 (i.e., Hittin the Note).

Yeah... it was Greg’s band... but Warren kept that band afloat for a few years there with his playing and songwriting.

All the more impressive since he was keeping about 3 other bands afloat at the same time.

Jack Lord and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Ringo Starr.
    I don't know how anyone can listen to Revolver, specifically 'She Said She Said', 'Rain' or 'A Day In the Life' and say he's a bad drummer.

Jack Lord and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Judee Sill

Danny Kirwan

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

The first two singles from the silver album were John's and, to me, both should have been hits. Listen to the first side of Abandoned Luncheonette...John dominates. Had one of his songs been a hit first, history may be different. "Maneater", for one, was John's original idea (as a reggae song), Daryl gave it the Motown vibe and Sara added valuable ideas.
    Speaking of Motown, had Mary Wilson sung "Where Did Our Love Go" as Eddie Holland originally wanted, The Supremes history would be quite different. Instead, Diana was instructed to "sing like Mary".

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Elliot Easton, The Cars

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m not too sure about that, but I’ll go with Ben, sure.

maywitch, Keith V and Nostaljack like this.
  8. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I just skimmed through most of the posts, don't know if the Dutch group Focus has been mentioned. I got into them actually before "Hocus Pocus" hit the charts in January of 1973. Jan Akkerman is their guitarist and when that song gets played in the cd player, I have to remind myself to keep the foot OFF the gas pedal! lol

It is a treat to hear this man play, probably my favorite solo lp of his is Tabernakkel, released in March of 1974. Tijs VanLeer has soldiered on with Focus for 45 plus years. Listen to his Introspection lp's that were released in the mid 1970's. A band that I play pretty much on a weekly basis. Van Leer's flute playing is first rate.

Probably my favorite Focus album is "Moving Waves" with "Hamburger Concerto" a close second.

9. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

IDK. I agree he probably doesn’t get enough credit for his work with Poco, but OTOH he tends to get a lot of credit for Randy Meisner’s work in the Eagles, with casual fans often thinking TBS was on more original albums than he actually was. I still come across confused people who think he performed on Hotel California for example. And it probably will always be that way. I’d say it evens out.

Hadean75 and Nostaljack like this.
  10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Greg Rollie with the original Santana lineup.
    Did all the distinctive singing and his Hammond was as predominate as the guitar.

11. Chris Lowe is often overlooked as the less interesting half of the Pet Shop Boys, but he’s responsible for writing and recording most of the music while Neil Tennant writes the lyrics.

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

True. :thumbsup:

To Timothy B's credit, though, he has always acknowledged and respected Randy as being the original bassist for both the Eagles AND Poco lol.

How about: Both are equally underrated in different ways at different time periods for different bands. ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Witchy Woman and AppleCorp3 like this.
  13. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Alan Myers, DEVOs Drummer during their most interesting and successful period ( late 70s, early 80's ).

Often referred to as ' The Human Metronome' in certain circles, he was a amazing talent.
    Some of the material he played was mind boggling in its complexity and time changes...yet sounded so 'right'.

Truly a musician who was indeed 'one with the drums'.
    It is really sad that he is not better remembered and aknowledged for his work.

SpudOz likes this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Mick Ralphs

303 Squadron and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. Tom Fogerty, Doug Clifford and Stu Cook - Creedence Clearwater Revival's rhythm section.

16. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

Don't you know,John Fogerty is responible for everything Creedence did?(sarcasm)

AppleCorp3 and arisinwind like this.
  17. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

tony hicks (already quoted) a big yeah
    terry hall (specials, fun boy three, solo albums and colourfield) wow!!!!

18. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

[​IMG]

Geordie Walker: Killing Joke.

Dudley Morris and TheMovieRad like this.
  19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Lita Ford of the Runaways.
    ... certainly not under appreciated by former bandmate Joan Jett, or even necessarily so amongst many of the band's followers, though perhaps somewhat overall as a guitarist within the pantheon of rock and roll. Perhaps it's just my perception but I don't recall ever seeing her name appear on any lists of great guitar players. She was definitely a trailblazer as a female teenage axe slinger in the mid-70s, still, some disappointing solo efforts in the 80s and 90s, as well as a 10-year hiatus from music that followed unsurprisingly dimmed the spotlight on her talent as a guitarist.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Paul Samwell-Smith... as great a bass player as Macca and the Ox... as much of a virtuoso as his more renowned 6-string bandmates...

21. Devo’s cover of “Satisfaction” is like an audio Escher drawing - it sounds like it’s going completely out of time, but it’s actually rhythmically tighter than anything this side of James Brown.

Unknown Delight likes this.
  22. 303 Squadron

303 Squadron Forum Resident

Roty Gallagher

Gary Moore

john lennonist likes this.
  23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Bass players in general --

The Ox

Phil Lesh

Bruce Thomas
    (Elvis Costello's Attractions)

and scads more... probably also

Rhythm Sections in general

Hadean75 and arisinwind like this.
  24. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Guitarist Stan Lee of The Dickies. Creative guitar work and a fun sense of humor.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stan Lee with Mike Nesmith from The Monkees wearing a Dickies t-shirt
    [​IMG]
    Guitar legend Stan Lee with comic book legend Stan Lee
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Zoot Marimba and arisinwind like this.
  25. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I do like Keane, more their earlier two albums than the spottier later things, but I agree about Tom Chaplin's voice. The Keane version of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore)" is great and a prime example of your reference of Tom's ability to do excellent covers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.