Musicians using cheaper instruments than you'd expect

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heathen, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myself

myself Active Member

My friend is a top musician in Macau. During Macau’s super big memorial event( eg on day of macau returning to the communist), she would be invited to perform on the ceremony. She’s a pianist, composer of neo-classical musics, scholar and professor. She has a few CD records in the market.

When my family visited her in Paris, we were very shocked that she’s playing with a super cheap mini electronic piano. My son ,who also plays piano, asked directly why a super cheap mini electronic piano was used everyday. My friend explained that it’s for fun and just don’t need to use expensive things all the time. The musician also says that playing is for just own-entertainment.

Clearly, the cheap mini-electronic piano doesn’t sound good to us but we can see her enjoy playing!

hi_watt and xilef regnu like this.
  2. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

3. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

Just because the name on the headstock is the same doesn't mean they are similar guitars. Real Dean guitars are expensive. Type "Dean USA" into eBay. They are all 4 figure guitars.

Keith V, rednoise and Lonecat like this.
  4. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

The head stock is off. My guitar dealer friend has told me Mick is playing a common knock-off sold to American GIs.

Keith would complain that Mick hit the strings way too hard.

hi_watt and JuanTCB like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yamaha Guitar and Paul Simon...

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cheap guitars? if they are set up right they can be amazing!

Rick Bartlett, Keith V and hi_watt like this.
  7. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

There's a well-regarded electronic musician named u-Ziq (Greek letter mu) who created a few amazing albums using nothing but a 4-track, a DX7, a cheap drum machine and a Radio Shack effects unit, sequenced with an Atari ST.

Pretty much this whole album:
    Bluff Limbo, by µ-Ziq

Terrapin Station and hi_watt like this.
  8. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

Ian also played a cheap student flute, a Selmer Gold Seal, for the early Tull material. And stuck with mostly student models at least till the 80s, sometimes bringing up to a dozen cheap flutes on tour in various stages of disrepair as he kept breaking bits off with his high energy showmanship. More here: Ian Anderson's Flutes - Jethro Tull

9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Noel Gallagher dug Epiphones...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still does...

[​IMG]

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Also, the cheap mini-electronic piano can be used with headphones and not bother everyone who is trying to sleep, does not need regular tuning and can produce a wide range of piano sounds.

Dudley Morris and myself like this.
  11. The great & brilliant St. Vincent/Annie Clark has her own Ernie Ball Music Man signature model now- a gorgeous guitar, designed in detail by her & done so to provide maximum versatility .... so she's able to rely heavily on that model noe- albeit an array of them in various colors/flavors...

In years past though she's played a dizzying amount of different guitars... and that includes some weird cheapies... probably most famously known for a couple of years where she favored Harmony Bobkats...

Below is a link to 32 different electrics & acoustics with plenty of bizzarro more esoteric freek axes (Guild, Harmony, Hagstrom, Silvertone, Kay, Metropolitan, Vox, Ernie Ball & Eastwood) peppered in among the usual Fender, Gibson, Rickenbackers (no Gretsches oddly enough)

St. Vincent's Equipboard

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

It doesn’t look like a knock-off. Has all the right appointments for a Jaguar of that era

AaronW and KeninDC like this.
  13. gss

gss Forum Resident

14. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Patches? He need no stinking patches.

Malinky, linclink and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Heh. But seriously, the DX7 was a tremendously powerful synth with one of the world's worst editing interfaces.

And admit it. You need Patches!

16. myself

myself Active Member

That’s true. That’s really insightful!

Those regular tuning is very troublesome and extremely expensive in Paris!

I almost forgot to get my piano tuned, for a few years!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Thank you.

The truth is that, other than Classical, concert hall filling Jazz and a handful of Pop and Rock artists everyone plays sampled pianos. I helped moved Leon Russell's piano after his last concert at Knuckleheads Saloon - and it was a shell with a sampler inside of it that I could pick up and tuck under one arm. It's always in tune, requires no microphones (and no possibility of feedback or picking up other instruments) and can sound like any piano needed.

[​IMG]

Just try finding an hour of absolute silence in a busy music venue for piano tuning, between setting up the sound, stage and lighting and the sound check.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  18. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Beatles also

notesfrom likes this.
  19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Teisco SD-40
    Japanese guitar

DJ LX likes this.
  20. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

DJ LX likes this.
  21. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Partscasters made from quality parts are a good middle ground.

telecode101 likes this.
  22. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I saw Jill Sobule play just last week. She's still using the same travel guitar... and it still sounds very good!

John DeAngelis and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

24. Chris DeVoe

When I saw her play with John Doe at Knuckleheads Saloon, she made a point to thank all those slightly confused Katy Perry fans who accidentally bought her I Kissed A Girl instead.

25. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Yeah. I agree. But I am never going to be as good as a master builder. I don't like the over priced customs they make where they stick a famous persons name on it and build to some guitar used in rock and roll history, but i do like some of the custom shops they make that are actually made by great craftsmen trying to build the best instrument they know how. Some of the custom shops I have tried play really amazing. there is a whole other craft to it that is bigger than the parts and wood used. if i were a professional and successful musician I would totally justify spending $5 to $10K on a custom shop as its my main bread and butter from where I make my living from.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.