Musicians Who Admit Some Sort Of Plagiarism/Borrowing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

2. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

So you're saying everything good that has been created was nicked? C'mon.

limoges and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah. On a related note, I don't think neither Neil nor Carole King have ever commented publicly on the fact that he stole the music for Pocahontas from her song He's A Bad Boy.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. MortSahlFan

I'm surprised he (or anyone else) would dedicate time to a video, going one by one basically naming who they nicked it from. Cool video.

"I knew Mozart" - did ya know, Richie? :)

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

....and he’s borrowing a riff from Spirit

7. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Noel Gallagher and Paul Weller - they have both written good songs without 'borrowing,' but there is no question both of them have done it.
    The Yardbirds - 'I Ain't Done Wrong' is an Elmore James song with a different title ('I Done Somebody Wrong' - something like that). There are other examples in their catalog too, but you get my drift.

8. Well, I didn't like Ice Ice Baby when it was released. But I've mellowed out as I got older. I can listen to it, not feeling anything negative about it. And about the sampling of Queen's bassline: the parts without that sample outweigh the parts with it, considerably. It's only heard during the choruses and not during the verses.

9. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Paul Stanley has said that “I Stole Your Love” was inspired by Deep Purple’s “Burn” and while it’s not a note for note lift he certainly captured the feel of the song. “I stole your riff!”

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Stephen Malkmus laughs as he says he basically stole from The Clean for early Pavement stuff. Not sure if it's in this part but it's a great documentary on Flying Nun

_David_ likes this.
  11. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

The Burn riff was apparently a rigorously sped-up version of a George Gershwin song. Hence 'Owed to G' on Come Taste The Band.

Frozensoda and bataclan2002 like this.
  12. MortSahlFan

"It's different" - what an idiot.

Timmy84 likes this.
  13. drift

drift Forum Resident

Bob Dylan Unleashed

All Down The Line and alchemy like this.
  14. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I read a Neil Young interview where he admits the similarity between "Ambulance Blues" and Bert Jansch's "Needle of Death," although Neil claims that he didn't steal the tune consciously.

15. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I don't mind other guys ripping off my song/
    I'd be lying if I said I never did no wrong.

"All This Music Must Fade" - The Who

All Down The Line and Frozensoda like this.
  16. Deadwax Jones

Deadwax Jones Forum Resident

Nancy Wilson from Heart has admitted that the riff from “Barracuda” is lifted almost directly from a Nazareth song “The Flight Tonight”. Most assume it was copped from “Achilles Last Stand”.

Slice likes this.
  17. CrawdaddySim1

Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? - Wikipedia

"It has been noted that Stewart created parts of the song through musical plagiarism. A copyright infringement lawsuit by Brazilian musician Jorge Ben Jor claimed the chorus of the song had been derived from his song "Taj Mahal". The case was "settled amicably" according to Jorge Ben Jor, in Ben Jor's favor.[8] Stewart admitted in his 2012 autobiography to "unconscious plagiarism" of the Ben Jor song, which he had heard while attending the Rio Carnival in 1978.[2] He also admitted that he had consciously lifted the song's signature synthesizer riff from the string arrangement on Bobby Womack's "(If You Want My Love) Put Something Down On It". Stewart contends that it is legal to lift a line from any song's arrangement as long as the core melody line is not copied.[2]"

Timmy84 and All Down The Line like this.
  18. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

He effectively does with the album title..

[​IMG]

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Eric Carmen admitted that he got "Tonight" from two Small Faces songs.

20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I have heard their Greatest Hits compilation, all their hits just sound like someone banging on a trash can

21. CrawdaddySim1

This thread got me thinking about that controversial Joni Mitchell interview where she calls Bob a plagiarist, and I never understood why some people got their panties in a bunch about it. But then I thought about Joni... she has so many great melodies, but not a single one reminds me of another song. Might she be a true original? Could that be due to the unique tunings she uses? Help me out here, forum... has Joni ever been accused up ripping off another songwriter?

22. drift

drift Forum Resident

She has interesting views about what constitutes "plagiarism". I disagree but think she is a great original artist. I found this quotation from her:

"But, unfortunately, in the Camus, I found he [Cohen] lifted lines. “Walk me to the corner, our steps will always …” That’s literally a Camus line. So I thought that’s like Bob Dylan … When I realized that Bob and Leonard were lifting lines, I was very disappointed. And then I thought that there’s this kind of a self-righteous quality about — you’re a plagiarist and I’m not. So I plagiarized from Camus in “Come In from the Cold” intentionally. I forget which verse it is, but when I put the single out, I edited that verse out. I just took it out. Leonard got mad at me actually, because I put a line of his, a line that he said, in one of my songs. To me, that’s not plagiarism. You either steal from life or you steal from books. Life is fair game, but books are not. That’s my personal opinion. Don’t steal from somebody else’s art, that’s cheating. Steal from life — it’s up for grabs, right? So I put something that he said in one of my songs and he got real irritable, [saying], “I’m glad I wrote that.”

limoges and MortSahlFan like this.
  23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Billy Corgan admits he ripped off 'By-Tor And The Snow Dog'

This is hilarious :D

Frozensoda likes this.
  24. CrawdaddySim1

She seems to be making a distinction between something said in conversation versus "art"... not necessarily something written down. I don't know... that's a slippery one. So if a comedian tells a joke onstage, and a different comedian tells the same joke elsewhere, to Joni that would be plagiarism. But if the comedian tells the joke offstage, (but not a street joke--he/she wrote it), and the other comedian uses it onstage, it's no longer plagiarism? What if the first comedian was planning to tell the joke onstage? And what if Leonard Cohen was planning to use what he said in a song?

All Down The Line and drift like this.
  25. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

This is wild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.