Musicians Who Admit Some Sort Of Plagiarism/Borrowing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

So what, are you telling me every person who has ever committed a crime is sentenced for it? You need to read up on the legal system.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Which means nothing. Everyone with a brain and ears know it's a rip-off. Now, speaking of brains and LZ nuts...no, why bother.

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Again, in your opinion. Insults are a clear sign of not having an actual substantive reply

Most offenders guilty of a crime don’t actually go thru 2 trials without some evidence of guilt coming forward. In fairness to all parties involved, those of us without any further evidence regarding the matter should honor the courts ruling. If you were accused of a crime and found not guilty you would most certainly want the general public to honor the ruling, no?

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

If you were referring to Dazed And Confused, you'd have a point.

Stairway, though? Nah. Consider me totally brainless and earless.

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

It's only one lyrical line of the song. Hardly even significant.

limoges likes this.
  6. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
  7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

The very first line of a song (also repeated later in the song) isn't significant? :doh:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  8. And even if it was a “lift”, so what? It’s such a generic snippet, you might as well accuse someone of lifting a chord change from E to Am. People who harp on about this just want to bitch about LZ.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There may be similarities with "Barracuda." I think Nazareth took a few musical liberties to come up with their heavy metal arrangement of Joni's song.

10. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Well, apart from the unsuccessful court case
    Well, it probably meant something to Plant & Page. That’s justice for you. At least you know the truth though!

11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

George Michael comes to mind. Quite a lot of his song credits include other artists where he has used just a tiny bit of their song.

The most well known is probably "Waiting For That Day", which is mostly George's song, but repeats the lines "You can't always get what you want" a few times at the end, and the credits therefore include Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

All musicians who are aware of it admit it.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

14. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

This is false, twice.

Led Zeppelin never toured with Spirit. They opened for Spirit at exactly one show, and the two bands played at multi-day festivals on 2-3 other occasions. And there's no evidence that "Taurus" was played at any of those shows (or at any other concert that Page or Plant are alleged to have attended), and there's no evidence that anyone from Zep stuck around to watch any of the aforementioned Spirit performances.

There's also very little evidence that Page had ever heard "Taurus" prior to 1972. (It's true that a copy of Spirit's first album was found among the 10,000 records and CDs in Page's home in 2015, but it has not been proven that the album had been in Page's possession prior to 1972.)

Well, it is pretty rare for people who commit crimes to go to court and be found not guilty by a jury. In that context, it's not accurate to say Page is a thief.

Actually, it's not really appropriate or accurate to compare copyright claims to criminal acts such as "theft". In the legal system, the word "theft" implies that there was intent to steal. George Harrison did not commit "theft", for example, because he did not intend to steal "He's So Fine". Nonetheless, he lost his case. Why? Because the legal system does not care about motive or intent when it comes to copyright claims. All that matters is, Do the two songs sound substantially or strikingly similar?

And in the case of "Taurus", a jury has already given us an answer. And the answer was a resounding, "No."

Dreaddazzman and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Dave Navarro admitted that Jane's Addiction's "Three Days" is "Xanadu" by Rush.
    from "Raising Hell: Backstage Tales from the Lives of Metal Legends" by Jon Wiederhorn,

"I was buying Slayer records in high school. So Perkins and I were speed metal kids and we were also prog-metal kids. We were super into Rush and all that nerdy prog-rock. But we were also super into the punk scene. We loved anything that was off the beaten path. We didn’t identify with a culture in L.A. so we just liked what we liked. And then we came into Jane’s Addiction and those guys were so against metal and so against anything current or that remotely sounded like Sunset Strip. And me and Perkins were all about that, so we would sneak as much metal riffing and tricks into the music as we could get away with. But [vocalist] Perry [Farrell] and [bassist] Eric [Avery] wouldn’t pick up on it because it would be techniques from metal that, since they never listened to metal, they wouldn’t recognize. That’s how we did it and that’s what made it work. If you listen to “Three Days” it’s ****in’ “Xanadu” by Rush."

Ghost of Ziggy and Slice like this.
  16. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rod Stewart admitted he unconsciously plagiarized Jorge Ben Jor's "Taj Mahal" with "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy."

17. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

In 1966, there was "In The Country" by Cliff Richard and the Shadows.

In 2003, Belle and Sebastian had recorded "Wrapped Up In Books". From Music Law Updates: "[B&S] were shocked when friends said the new single was a ‘dead ringer’ for the 1960s hit and the band, perhaps wisely, contacted Carlin Music and offered to share the royalties with an agreed 20% going to the members of the Shadows to share."

In 2006, the Welsh band The Afternoons released "FM (Bys ar dy Ddeial)". Another dead ringer but maybe it escaped Sir Cliff's attention or maybe there were minimal royalties at stake!

That's one sturdy riff - I think all three songs are terrific.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  18. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Pete Townshend recently seemed to admit that he got the closing riff for WGFA from Fleetwood Mac's Station Man.

19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

...and speaking of Won't Get Fooled Again, Steven Wilson has acknowledged that as the inspiration for the opening riff of the song Deadwing.

20. MortSahlFan

Wow, I have the song, just listened to it, and still can't hear it.

21. I remember an interview where Carlos Santana seemed to admit having lifted a line or a theme from jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo and used it as the little guitar solo (transition) from "Stone Flower". I don't know which track from Szabo that is though...

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

MortSahlFan likes this.
  23. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The Sweet's 'Blockbuster' came out shortly before Bowie's 'Jean Genie' and Andy Scott felt that Bowie had ripped them off.

He ran into Bowie around this time and accused him of the thievery.

Bowie replied 'I didn't rip you off, I ripped off the Yardbirds' arrangement of I'm a Man'.

Scott then realized that he had as well.

Fullbug, Oatsdad, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  24. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

There is not one single musician on the planet who has not nicked something,admitting it s quite another. Sometimes it might be accidental. The only reason Zeppelin get attacked is because of their level of success. When Jeff Beck was asked about this he said 'We all did it'. I am not condoning not crediting writers but there are after all only so many notes and chords to go round so similarities are bound to arise.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. MortSahlFan

Interesting.. "The Jean Genie" just came on MusicChoice, and yeah, I hear it.. Cool story, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.