Musicians who have suffered permanent injuries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by groundharp, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Australian crawl's lead singer James Reyne broke both his arms just before appearing on tv for the first time in Australia

2. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Johnny O'Keefe had a bad car accident after which he had facial reconstructive surgery:

In the early hours of 27 June 1960, O'Keefe, Johnny Greenan and Greenan's wife Janice were driving back to Sydney from the Queensland Gold Coast. About 20 kilometres north of Kempsey, the Plymouth ploughed into a gravel truck. While the front of the large car bore the brunt of the very severe impact, all three were seriously injured. O'Keefe's face was smashed and Johnny Greenan was thrown out of the car, landing six metres away on the highway, causing a fractured vertebra and loss of front teeth; Janice Greenan suffered a severe concussion. O'Keefe suffered multiple lacerations, a concussion and fractures to his head and face; he lost four teeth, and his hands were also badly lacerated.[31]

O'Keefe was air-lifted back to Sydney for treatment,[32]

3. Harry Nilsson permanently damaged his voice during the "***** Cats" sessions produced by John Lennon. He never was the same and his range was permanently impaired.

Dodoz likes this.
  4. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

I disagree....especially when you consider that most people mentioned on this thread went on to have long, productive careers.

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I don't think it's a bad thread. It's mostly about repetitive strain injuries musicians have had...on a music message board.

D.B., Nostaljack and grapenut like this.
  6. kenlea522

kenlea522 Forum Resident

Baroness bus crash Aug 15 2012. As a result of the crash, frontman John Baizley suffered a broken left arm and broken left leg. Drummer Allen Blickle and bassist Matt Maggioni each suffered fractured vertebrae. Both Blickle and Maggioni left the band due to their injuries.

Lonecat likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

In Rev Peyton's case, the injury that was supposed to have ended his career as a teen resulted in surgery that gave him vastly greater flexibility and made him a better musician.

Here's a good example of that very successful surgery. Fast forward to 3 minutes in to have your mind blown.

8. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

I believe Nils Lofgrin had a hip replacement as well caused by basketball obsession....and backflips with the ESB...

9. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Link Wray had a lung removed due to TB

John Fell likes this.
  10. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

He permanently broke his arms?

Lost In The Flood and grapenut like this.
  11. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Extremely rare non healing condition.

DetroitDoomsayer likes this.
  12. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Jazz guitarist Pat Martino, after an illustrious 21 year career, had a brain aneurysm in 1980 that left him with total amnesia. Not only did he not remember how to play guitar, he had no memory of being a professional musician. He subsequently relearned his instrument and reestablished his career, winning guitarist of the year polls, recording, and touring internationally.

13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

The great avant-garde composer Iannis Xenakis had the left side of his face severely damaged in a bomb explosion when he was in the Greek resistance during WWII. He always showed his right profile in photographs.

roverb likes this.
  14. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Never knew this.....amazing.

chilinvilin and agundy like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Quit drumming? When did he start drumming?

Farmer Mike, jwjeffrey and BadJack like this.
  16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i know it's not permanent, i just thought it was interesting in light of the topic

17. Danny Duberstein

Danny Duberstein Forum Resident

That's all of them

18. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Would it be acceptable to include people like Randy Rhodes? His permanent injury resulted in his immediate death.

19. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Ray Davies was SHOT in New Orleans in 2004 - his leg (femur)..

Tremendous pain at the time and definite bullet wound.. I haven't read about him talking of his leg recently, but... well, I can't imagine it feels good to be shot.

Jeff

20. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Brian Connolly from The Sweet was injured in a fight in 1974. He sustained bad throat damage which affected his singing during the last 70s.

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

As always, the craziest things I post here are all true:

"Skiffle played at Slayer tempos" is a pretty decent description.

22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

While working at a lumber mill, legendary songwriter Billy Joe Shaver lost the better part of two fingers and contracted a serious infection. He eventually recovered, and taught himself to play the guitar without those missing fingers.
    [​IMG]

Farmer Mike likes this.
  23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think that this applies due to its circumstances (not over a period of time due to playing loud music but due to an accident) is Pete Townsend. While playing with The Who on The Smothers Brothers Show there was a massive explosion in a drum kit and it permanently damaged Townsend's hearing. Here's a video of the incident:

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I was going to mention this one. Pete apparently attributes this incident to the beginning of his hearing lost. In his book, the claim is made that it immediately and irreversibly altered his hearing.

25. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger Thread Starter

Correct, Muddy. Thank you! But repetitive stress injuries don't count for my purposes either (despite the word "injuries" in the phrase).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.