Musicians who have suffered permanent injuries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by groundharp, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

American pianist Leon Fleischer.

2. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Tommy Makem's left hand was crushed by a printing press in 1956. He seemed to fully recover...

3. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Say, no one's mentioned Robert Schumann? Ruined his career as a pianist by permanently injuring his hand, either with a stretching device (as his future father-in-law claimed) or simply by overpracticing.

4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Robert Johnson
    George Harrison
    John Lennon
    Marvin Gay
    Ray Davies
    Chet Baker
    Brian Epstein
    Stu Sutcliffe

5. Oh, oh, I sense a future thread on how catastrophic injuries acquired :0

6. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger Thread Starter

Ry Cooder
    [​IMG]
    He has had a glass eye since he was four, when he accidentally stuck a knife in his left eye.

Cooder: "I stuck a knife in my left eye. I was playing with this toy car. I had it in one hand, the knife in the other, and the knife slipped. It was just a weird accident."

The eye had to be replaced with a glass one.

"I was a little self-conscious, of course. But luckily, at such an early age, I was able to make adjustments physically."

Even so, Cooder is still somewhat bothered by the eye, and is sensitive about being photographed.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Crossover artist Bobby Helms had hits with 'Jingle Bell Rock' and 'My Special Angel.' Sadly, he was forced to wear a patch (or sometimes sunglasses) in later years after losing vision in his right eye.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger Thread Starter

Jon Mark
    [​IMG]
    He played guitar for John Mayall, Marianne Faithfull, Mark-Almond, and Sweet Thursday, but after the losing his left-hand ring finger in an accident in Hawaii in 1972, Jon Mark switched to keyboards.

9. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Harry "KC" Casey from KC and the Sunshine Band suffered permanent nerve damage when another driver crossed the center line and hit his car head-on in 1982.

That same year, Billy Joel injured both his hands when a car ran a red light and hit his motorcycle. He lost part of the bone in his left thumb.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.