MusicTAP reports McCartney box set coming Sept. 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Details very sketchy, you know what the tagline sez:
    http://www.musictap.net/

Some Paul McCartney news for fans awaiting his new release. We reported several weeks back about his as yet unnamed mystery release coming up. Despite not knowing any news about it we went ahead and let you know that something was coming out. We now have heard that it will be a Box Set...still unnamed. The date is still September 21.

2. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

Isn't this just his new album that he has been working on? I read about this on the Abbeyrd Beatles news site and they quoted this date as being for the release of the new album that he has been working on. However, if the "unnamed mystery release" is a box set, it may not be his new release. What I had read somewhere was that his plan was to do the European tour this summer and then follow-up with another large scale U.S. tour next year in support of the new album.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

I've heard conflicting reports about an all new Macca album. A few weeks ago, they said he wasn't anywhere near finishing it, and we wouldn't see it until next year. Then shortly after that, all those reports came saying he'd have a new release on Sept. 21st. Keep in mind, there was never any official announcement of a new McCartney album, nor has there been anything official about a box set. All due respect to my friend Steve Marinucci, but just because he's got it on the Abbeyrd site, doesn't make it official.

If MusicTAP is to be believed, then the initial reports about the new album not coming until next year would be correct, and the Sept. 21st date would have always been intended for the box set.

4. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

If it's the box, maybe it's *finally* the outtakes/b-sides set he's been threatening. I'd buy it even if sonically it sucks. I have too many bootlegs of this stuff, and want it officially.

5. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Oh goodness. If a McCartney box set comes out in September, I better plan on saving ahead because I'm going to 'have' to have that 'and' the Star Wars Trilogy DVD boxset that is coming out around the exact same time.

I really hope if this thing materializes that it will have better sound than 'Wingspan.'

6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

7. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Could we be talking about Sept. 21st 2004? Just thought I'd ask, we've heard about this box set before.

JF

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

This seems REALLY sketchy. I'll eat my shoe if ANYTHING by him comes out on that EXACT date.

JEFF!

9. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Take everything that comes out of the McCartney camp with a grain of Geoff Baker. Remember, he's the guy that always stirs up publicity by announcing what usually amounts to a big lie. Remember the great "lost Beatle track" that ended up being "Hey Bulldog?"

Wake me when it's over!

10. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

It is amazing to me that Geoff Baker keeps his job - especially after the "Hey Bulldog" fiasco and the David Blaine mess.

11. Captain Groovy

Didn't he also get in a fight with McCartney in front of a club not too long ago? Am I thinking of the right guy? And who's David Blaine? The guy in the box? Hanging in London? Hmm - this thread is just making me confused all around. If David Blaine WAS the guy hanging in the box, what was his mess and was Geoff his publicist or something? Because if he was, I heard of that schmuck so it seems like he did his job to me!

JEFF!

12. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

Yes, David Blaine is the illusionist who was hanging in the box in London. As the story goes, Paul decided that he wanted to visit him one night with a couple of friends. He supposedly told Geoff Baker about it beforehand and Geoff Baker called a photographer to tip him off that Macca was going there in order to get some extra publicity. When the guy showed up, he started taking pictures of Macca, who didn't want his picture taken, and a scuffle ensued. Macca told "Baker" he was fired for tipping the guy off, only to reinstate him a short time later. It's a goofy story all around.

13. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Ice said the box set was coming out the same year that Wingspan was released. Wingspan was to be a summer release and the box a pre-Christmas item. Obviously, the box didn't materialize.

14. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

I'm bookmarking this thread and checking back on Sept 21st! :laugh:

(Though I recently had a steak that probably tasted worse than my shoe.)

15. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I'd love a new Macca box set. You just know there's so much in the can that never saw the light of day...some I'm sure for good reason, but some I'm certain is quite up to snuff, so I'd appreciate a chance to pick up those rare tracks.
    Solo Macca may not be as good as the Beatles, but in those early solo days, occasionally he came quite close.

16. Captain Groovy

Hey, I'd love a new Macca disc by fall. A shoe with steak sauce it is!

See you in September,

JEFF!

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Will it leave off really good songs and include junk like he did on Wingspan!? :realmad:

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not sure what you mean...I thought it was brilliant the way he included two versions of the great "No More Lonely Nights".

Er...not...

Kwad

19. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

From the Abbeyrd site:

Update (4/23/04)
    A source who saw our reference to the Musictap.net item yesterday informed us that the new album and the boxed set are completely different projects and that the boxed set is only on the drawing boards and is, therefore, not a definite thing. So one will happen, the other may not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.