Must See TV - which of these shows do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oops. I'm so sorry about all of this then, and I will look to get the thread title changed.

2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

It's no problem! Just start up a new thread for the '90s. This was a good poll as well, of the classic 80s lineup.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why thank you. :)

4. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

While I could relate to the Alex P. Keaton character most (as well as Michael J. Fox’s other work during that time period), Cheers was the far superior show.

As previously mentioned, the show ran a few seasons too long. Nevertheless, the opening scene in the first episode and the final scene in the series finale were magnificent. It showed/shows how life truly comes full circle.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Cheers dominated this wow lol

only 2 votes for Cosby? hmm

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Notwithstanding that I've already seen them back when there weren't so many demands on my TV watching time, Night Court takes a distant second to...E.R.

"Must See" is merely a relatively-applicable descriptive phrase, and only then within the context of, "no better options". Even the giddy joys I once experienced are now dampened by the awareness that I could instead be watching an English-speaking Parisian translating Mrs. Maisel to a French nightclub, or British television re-defining society's advancements through a Black Mirror, or the political ramifications of miners working The Expanse of the asteroid belt finally gaining some power over Earth government, or whether one witty, gay Australian millennial can survive his estranged family long enough for another guy to Please Like Him.

I've got better things to do now, than opt-into a catatonic state of watching crap that eventually leads to the existence of whatever an "Urkel" is.

("Not that there's anything wrong with that", to evoke the obvious flaw in making a poll like this without including an option for "Other". ;) )

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I watched all four of these shows at the time for quite a few seasons, though didn't stick through till the end except for Cheers. Honestly as shows I didn't even really like the other three, I was mostly just watching them for the female main characters, and there was nothing else better on.

8. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

The 9:30 spot after Cheers was held by Wings for a while, after Night Court ended. When Seinfeld replaced Cheers at the 9:00 spot, Wings moved to 8:30 and Frasier began its run at 9:30 on Thursday's after Seinfeld.

I would always put Wings in the MUST SEE TV Thursday category, even though it changed after a few seasons. It got confusing once they added Seinfeld, then Frasier, and then Friends, then everything got shuffled around. Outside of the normal shows everyone loves, I still love Wings and Mad About You. Another show that hasn't been mentioned was a Different World, which was a Cosby spinoff, airing on Thursday Nights after the Cosby Show.

The 9:30 slot was always tough and had a tons shows roll through. After Wings and Frasier move to different time slots, and Friends became a mainstay at 8:00, they never found anything successful following Seinfeld at 9:00. They had Caroline in the City, Suddenly Susan, The Naked Trap, Fired Up, Veronica's Closet, Just Shoot Me, etc...

Parachute Woman likes this.
  9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The votes are exactly in the order I would have ranked them at (Cheers, Night Court, Family Ties, Cosby Show).

Hard to watch and hold high regard for The Cosby Show due to recent events which is a shame.

I would like to revisit Family Ties as I haven't seen it since it aired. I still remember when Michael J. Fox was drawing interest and was going to be starring in a time travel movie...

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

The only one I've ever watched, for a handful of episodes, was Night Court.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember CHEERS being on our must-check-out list because it starred the girl from NIGHT SHIFT . . . IIRC, only its critical reputation saved it until it started picking up viewers in later seasons.

CHEERS was notable from the start because it wasn't harshly lit like everything else on TV.

Wasn't HILL STREET BLUES also Thursday nights?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.