My best under $100 tweak

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

I just invested about $100 in a tweak for my system, and I am amazed by the results. Imaging is pinpoint accurate. Great soundstage. CD's that used to sound crappy now sound good (not great, but good). Siblance is under control. Listener fatigue has disappeared, I can listen for hours and never get tired. I can also turn the volume down and still enjoy the music. My wife even noticed an improvement!!! In fact, it sounds like I have a new system.

No, I did not use green paint, I did not put sand bags on top of my CD player, nor did I put bubble wrap under my CD player (I have done this in the past).

What I did was make 2' x 5' wood frames out of 1"x3" pine and put 1" Knauph rigid fiberglass (foam will not work) insulation in the frames. I then covered them in fabric. I made four of them and hung them on the wall at the first reflection points of my front speakers.

The improvements mentioned in my first paragraph are no exaggeration!!! The improvement was HUGE! I know that most of us, including I, like to spend money on expensive cables, isolation devices, external DAC's, etc., etc. hoping to improve the sound of our system. Well, I am convinced that room acoustics play a bigger role in sound quality than almost anything else. It is a waste of money spending thousands of dollars on expensive electronics if your room is full of reflected sound. It will never sound right.

This tweak is so cheap that it is worth trying. You have nothing to lose.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.

3. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Johnny, depending on the material you use to cover these absorbers with, you may actually create unwanted reflections at certain frequencies. Jon Risch did extensive testing on this and found the best material (acoustically speaking) to use is actually burlap(!) Because raw burlap is not a very attractive, many people dye the fabric before they cover their absorbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.