My conclusion is Led Zeppelin Presence my #1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xodus

Xodus Forum Resident

Really? You don't have any interest in No Quarter? I always thought that Rain and Quarter as well as the title track and "Over the Hills" are four truly amazing Zep tracks. But especially No Quarter......that one gives me chills every time I hear it.

2. Presence is not a favorite of mine. Too monochromatic for my taste (no/too little instrumental coloring). That said, I love Nobody's Fault, Achilles Last Stand and Tea for One (that's 26 minutes of great music!) and nothing on it offends. My favorite Led Zeppelin album is Physical Graffiti.

Purple Jim likes this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It does kind of have one production level, the tracks do acoustically sound similar to each other. I'd put For Your Life in with the three you mentioned. The other three are kind of throwaways.

But all that having been said, as a whole, for me it's a satisfying listen.

Pete Puma and Scott Sheagren like this.
  4. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

i just think
    Presence is so groovy and no boring tracks on it.And i love the sound of the drums and all around sound of the album.And no doubt it is my personal favorite Zeppelin album.

Chrome_Head, Mt.Elga and RTurner like this.
  5. Scott Sheagren

ITTOD is def my least favorite Zeppelin album also.

6. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The artwork is truly hideous.

7. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I listened to all nine studio albums over the last week or so -- first time hearing them in over four years. While II, III, Houses and Physical will always lead the way, IMO, Presence still has the power to surprise. This time around -- 31 years and countless spins after I first heard them -- "Achilles Last Stand" and "Nobody's Fault" floored me. Amazing stuff...

8. Scott Sheagren

favorite Zeppelin album

Mt.Elga likes this.
  9. Scott Sheagren

hell yeah brother!

10. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Nice to see another III flag waiver here. Never tire of that one. Brilliant!

11. pablo fanques

Damn Fine

12. pablo fanques

Is this Hycoo? I'm pretty sure it's Hycoo

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. pablo fanques

And there's no outtakes either. Truly a strange and unique beast

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  14. wore to a frazzel

wore to a frazzel Forum Resident

Could be my favorite, although I'm also very attached to the first two albums.

People use to find it odd that I think that Tea for one is far superior to Since I've been loving you.

Mt.Elga and darryl hollingsworth like this.
  15. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I agree,Tea for One has an amazingly dark vibe which is why I prefer it to Since I've Been Loving You

16. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

What is a Hycoo.
    I don’t think I am one regardless...

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  17. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Hycoo is how illiterates spell Haiku.

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Here’s an outtake:

ostrichfarm, Ray29 and Actuarybrad like this.
  19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

While I don't hear Presence as my preferred LZ record but it is a very good effort considering what was occurring within the band at the time...

I also like it was the groups most hard rocking record & the only band effort that contained no keyboards & only acoustic on 1 track...

During the 70s anytime LZ released a record it was obviously big news to the RocknRoll populace& while Presence was not as popular market wise as other LZ records it was still all over the radio & everybody's TT during the late 1970's...

& "Nobody's Fault But Mine"was as close as they ever came to another crusher akin to "Whole Lotta Love"

Now as far as a subjective ranking...

1.Whole Lotta Love...even though the song was a remake of Willie Dixon's / "You Need Love" it remains the bands definitive song, 50 yrs later it still blows young minds just like it happened when 1st released

2.Led Zeppelin (s/t)
    3.Runes
    4.Presence

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Now I feel better...

21. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I think the reason this album resonates more now than it did when it was first released is the fact that it's so striped down. Remember in the mid-70s big production was still the order of the day. So Zep coming out with this strangely stripped down record was not taken well by a lot of listeners. Now when I hear it, I hear a very strong band, without much thought about "producing" the album. It's really more like old 50s records where they just want to get the group on tape and that speaks for itself. Yes, it's an amazing record. :agree:

22. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I have always preferred 'Tea For One' - it's a more mature take on 'Since I've Been Loving You'. The voice conveys a gutteral sense of pain and loss and the lyrics are deeper. Jimmy's playing is amazing and it's darker-sounding without an organ. And it's not so squealy. :p

23. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

I think there's no point in comparing those two absolutely outstanding tracks which are really worlds apart other than the sharing of a bluesy slowness only Zeppelin could muster.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  24. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Presence on eight track...Priceless..

2141 likes this.
  25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Is the only Led Zeppelin album I still listen today. Not as burnout like the others.
    4 of the 7 songs are fantastic. For your life is one of my favourites LZ songs

Xodus and Chrome_Head like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.