My CrateDigger app for Discogs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by 12" 45rpm, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Often a seller has a record I want, but the shipping costs more than the record! So I try and browse their inventory to see if I can add anything else to make the purchase worthwhile. But the browsing gets very tedious after a few hundred records.

So I wrote a small script to automate browsing a seller's full inventory. It first scans your collection to find unique artist names. Then it checks the entire seller's inventory for those artists. You can filter it by format (LP), condition (VG+/NM) and price ( > $10 )..

It takes a while to run, but the results are very interesting. It picks up lots of records that I would never have found. Particularly if the seller has over a thousand records in their inventory..

Send me a message if anyone is interested in testing it out. If there is enough interest I could probably make it a web based app. But for now, it works fine for me..

2. Nice work! Curious, what's the main script written in? Also, did you have to go through any gyrations to use their API?

-s1m0n-

3. 12" 45rpm

Mostly python using this:

discogs/discogs_client

It took a little trial and error to figure out how to get what I want.. I posted on their forum but never got any help there.. Thankfully it was not to hard to figure out on my know..

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  4. LostArkitekt

LostArkitekt Active Member

Just a thought...I always figured it would be good if Discogs had a search engine like bigwords.com. On BigWords, you can list a bunch of books, and the algorithm will figure out what is the best combination of buyers+shipping to let you get the best price. It'll either give you fewest sellers or best overall price. Maybe you give it a list of 10 albums (with grading qualifiers) and it searches to give you an output of like the following: 4 albums from seller 1, 2 albums from 2 different sellers, and 1 album from 2 different sellers...giving you the best combination of price+shipping for the lowest total.

12" 45rpm likes this.
  5. 12" 45rpm

I have made some updates to my "Crate digger script". It's searches a seller's inventory to find other albums from artists already in your collection.

Crate Digger

You must have some albums publicly viewable in your discogs collection. The script will only search the first 10,000 items in a seller's inventory. This seems to be a limit placed by discogs. Nevertheless, 10,000 is still a lot of records to dig through to find some gems..

I would like it to also search by labels like "Mobile Fidelity". But this does not seem possible by the discogs API. Well, actually it is possible but it involves doing a brute force pull of all the metadata for each album in the seller's inventory. This results in Discogs API killing the script for "too many calls to the API" or something like that..

black sheriff likes this.
  6. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

I found this really useful. Thanks for putting it together and sharing. Site seems to be down at the moment?

12" 45rpm and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. 12" 45rpm

Was down, but should be working now!

wbass and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Awesome, thanks again!

9. 12" 45rpm

Made some updates to my script. The new address is:

Crate Digger

black sheriff, Reese and wbass like this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Really really really cool. Works like a charm! Actually quite scary how easily it found some killer stuff for me to drop money on lol.

12" 45rpm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.