My DIY speakers -"J&N"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Georgi Tsvetkov, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Georgi Tsvetkov

Georgi Tsvetkov jororaitchev Thread Starter

The idea of hand-made/ DIY / loudspeakers was born in me, when I saw the model of JBL-tI6K . The design and fabrication of these unique shapes are made by a Danish designer. The pyramidal shape of the speakers is generally denied by the DIYers, or at least for the most part, but I decided at the moment that's my loudspeaker design..
    If there is interest in the topic, I will cont[​IMG] inue.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Wow, that's some impressive work, congratulations, nicely done! I'd enjoy seeing some construction photos, for sure.

WvL, bever70 and aunitedlemon like this.
  3. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Beaultiful!

WvL and Georgi Tsvetkov like this.
  4. Georgi Tsvetkov

Thank you, Davey, I will show a few stages in the construction of these speakers, but first their technical characteristics;
    The loudspeakers are "SEAS"- Excel / Tw-1”, Mw-5”for center 2х 5.5”, Bass-8,5”/ and cross-over parts- "Intertechnik".
    Nominal impedance- 8 Ohm.
    Range 30Hz- 25kHz.
    Characteristic Sensitivity(2,83V/1m)- 87db.
    Long Term- 110W.

formu_la and Davey like this.
  5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Damn.

macster and aunitedlemon like this.
  6. Georgi Tsvetkov

[​IMG] Gentlemen,
    I forgot to talk about my AV-home system;
    Oppo 105D, Hegel 360, front speakers, center, surround my DIY "J & N", cables -QED Signature Genesis Silver Spiral , furniture for the system- my DIY , Marantz 6008, TVPanasonic- plasma 55".

P.S.
    Maybe someone, will be interested in this diagram/especially for Davey/.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Spazotron3000 likes this.
  7. Georgi Tsvetkov

When everything is created by your hands, the pleasure is endless!
    I wish everyone DIYer, to be able to experience such emotional moments!
    [​IMG]

8. Georgi Tsvetkov

For you Davey and everyone who is interested in the story of the creation of my J&N DIY loudspeakers;

I'll show you, how I made these speakers, supported with photos and with detailed information as possible. This project is a long time ago and some of the stages during their construction , I can not show them - I do not have the necessary material, but what is available, I suppose will be enough to provoke your interest.
    At first, I had to figure out how to bend MDF plates. In the internet now has a very detailed material on how this process is being carried out with complicated multi-operative press mashine, but 2009 this information was scarce and irrelevant to me because, its clear I can not make a similar device at home.
    For this purpose, I made this "Home Matrix" for the center and front speakers;
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

poe_man, jonwoody, bever70 and 5 others like this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Why the foil? Is that because you wrapped the frames with wet wood for the outside pieces and wanted to keep the moisture out of the frame while they dried?

10. Georgi Tsvetkov

Every time, in every forum I am asked this question. This is a matrix, the humidity of the wood does not matter.
    This aluminum foil is here, to not to to be glued the layers in bending. Be patient, I'll show you, please!

11. Georgi Tsvetkov

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] On these matrices I bended 8 layers of 4mm MDF. The adhesives I've used will be discussed at a later stage;

12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Very cool, much interest. I've always done the easy route, a rectangular box. Please keep it coming Georgi!

13. Georgi Tsvetkov

I hate the prism as a form-fact!
    We all know, what is the ideal shape for the speakers- sphere. For technological reasons, it is difficult to do, especially with three tape loudspeakers. I strive to make the second most effective form - the egg.

14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nice work. :righton:

15. Georgi Tsvetkov

Thanks!
    The filters are positioned in this way;
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My initial idea was, for a bass speaker 6.5 ", but once I assembled the pilot model and measured the internal volume of the cabinet, found that I had enough reserve even for a 10" speaker. I decided at this stage to use 8.5 ".

poe_man, jonwoody and Tim 2 like this.
  16. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Kind of like building a boat.

When people compliment me on the far simpler work I do saying 'they wish they had the talent', I always reply that it's not talent, I didn't learn to play Chopin. Rather, I simply had the desire to reach a goal. Your desire is off the charts. These gorgeous speakers make any of my projects look like Legos. I salute you.

17. Georgi Tsvetkov

Dude, I call you that because I don't know your name, I'm 62 years old, and to get those results, I had to eat many, many cars full of bread. This is a Bulgarian metaphor associated with many life experiences. I can always help you build your projects.

ubiknik, 33na3rd, timind and 3 others like this.
  18. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Thank you. I'm 74 and have eaten far too much bread. Can't lift the speakers I do have anymore :D so my projects have gotten a lot smaller, although more technical.

[​IMG]

Rick58, Encore, 33na3rd and 5 others like this.
  19. Georgi Tsvetkov

Please accept my respect! My first teachers at DIY loudspeakers were your age, unfortunately I lost some of them, God bless you!

timind likes this.
  20. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Very, very impressive work. Wish I had your skills. You should be very proud of them.

21. Georgi Tsvetkov

Thank you, my skills have fed my family, there is no room for pride!

jonwoody, macster and slovell like this.
  22. Georgi Tsvetkov

My initial idea was, for a bass speaker 6.5 ", but once I assembled the pilot model and measured the internal volume of the cabinet, found that I had enough reserve even for a 10" speaker.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I decided at this stage to use 8.5 ".
    This is the first option;

jonwoody likes this.
  23. Georgi Tsvetkov

The final decision;
    "SEAS" - Excel / Tw-1 ", Mw-5" for center 2x 5.5 ", Bass-8.5" / and cross-over parts- "Intertechnik". Nominal impedance- 8Ohm. Freguency Range 30Hz-25kHz.[​IMG] [​IMG] Characterstic Sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) - 87db Long Term-110W.

24. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

:-popcorn:

timind likes this.
  25. Georgi Tsvetkov

The veneer I use in Bulgaria is known as "Birds of Maple", in the world is also known as "Bird's eye" . We reach the moment of very specific activity - veneering with natural veneer. When veneering panels, details is in one plane, there are no problems. There is only a requirement - the person who collects the individual pieces has good skills, the rest is completed by the pneumatic press.
    When we talk about a complex shape, our immediate association is for "Vacuum press", but there is a limit to the thickness / height / of the workpiece. If we are talking about veneering of a flat surface with motifs on the surface - it does work, but if it is another massive form dont.
    Due to the complexity of the process, i will pay close attention to it. My technique is complex, risky on a large scale and I definitely do not recommend it to enthusiasts with little experience! A natural veneer can bend tangentially or radially, usually masters prefer to work in just one direction - for less headaches.In my method of processing, I use both bending directions simultaneously, but add a third diagonal bending.
    The other main problem is the adhesive with which it sticks the veneer, it is polychloroprene, this glue does not allow you to move the veneer, once touched to the base there is no other chance-stays there. If you try to move it, you will break the veneer at the moment, and when we talk about "Birds of Maple" with a price over 40 EUR, the feeling it's not pleasant!
    I will explain my technique for cutting veneer before gluing it.
    On the finished cabinet of the loudspeaker, from " India paper" / she is the closest with the veneer / I make the templates that should lie perfectly on the base. The problem is in the wrong shape, the veneer after gluing in one part, changes his shape, although everything has previously been matched perfectly. It requires a lot of attention, patience, and proper judgment, which part should squeeze, otherwise balloon spaces are created, which are very difficult to correct without being visible later. Sometimes, depending on the type of veneer, moistening helps, but this action also requires judgment with experience.
    https://scontent.fsof10-1.fna.fbcdn...=d6f03c6dd891a539946e5d5a3ffc3560&oe=6169D38F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.