my favourite stephen king novel is...and why...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zombie dai, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

I thought The Institute was only ok.
    You really should check the Mr Mercedes triology. Also made into a nice TV series.
    Revival and Billy Summers are also good.

2. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own Thread Starter

what happened to him re: accident?

which of the newer ones would you recommend?

3. zombie dai

it can be interesting if there are comparisons between the book and film. for example, they left out my favourite part of the shining in the film! (the hedge animals) and it suffers not seeing jack's thought process. i think it shows that often you need the book to supplement any film

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

King was almost killed when he was hit by a vehicle while out walking. It messed him up to say the least
    That was about 20 years ago.
    Apparently the guy who was driving died soon thereafter under somewhat mysterious circumstances.

zombie dai and Piiijiii like this.
  5. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

If I had to recommend only one it would probably be 11/22/63.

A page-turner for many sleepless nights and an ode to the sixties woven into a suspenseful time travel story.

AlexDelarge, Bhob, vegafleet and 2 others like this.
  6. zombie dai

after the simpsons do 'it' the aliens are trying decide which novel to terrorise them with next

[​IMG]

The humans have vanquished
    our thousand-year-old clown,

but surely they will be no match
    for our next nightmare...

A Saint Bernard with rabies.

Mm...

An angry car?

Put that in the "maybe" pile.

How about a prom
    that goes seriously wrong?

Haunted hotel?

What about some Tommyknockers?

Those sound scary.

Yes, yes!

(cackling)

7. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

The expanded version of The Stand includes "The Kid", one of King's most obnoxious and enjoyable characters. He wasn't there the first time I read the book but I can't imagine it without him now.

8. I tried reading Revival and Billy Summers -I could not stay interested in either and gave ‘em up.

Piiijiii likes this.
  9. The Fragile Mollusk

The Fragile Mollusk Active Member

1. The Stand
    2. It (would be #1 if it weren't for the terrible scene at the end of the "child" section, in the sewers)
    3. 11/22/63
    4. The Running Man
    5. Skeleton Crew (short story collection, The Jaunt is one of the best)

10. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Revival falls apart in the last hundred pages or so, but before then it's quite nice. Billy Summers is freaking awesome though, and I really wish you would have stuck with it. Once the girl comes into the story it definitely gets better.

Pete Puma and Piiijiii like this.
  11. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Good on you for including The Running Man. The best Richard Bachman book he ever wrote.

12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Salem’s Lot
    The Stand
    Dead Zone
    Christine

13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

To each his own I guess. Billy Summers is VERY good methinks. A movie is in the making.

MichaelH likes this.
  14. zombie dai

how would you compare Richard Bachman to King's usual?

15. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

In general I consider his Bachman novels to be the worst he's ever written. They're amateurishly written with boring storylines, stupid one dimensional characters, and are just hard to get through because of how bad they are. The Running Man and Thinner are the lone exceptions since they're actually competently written with intriguing characters and almost non-stop action in places. But sadly stories like Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork and Blaze are just plain dumb and an embarrassment to the Stephen King name. Think of the worst Stephen King book in the world, multiply by ten, and that's what you get when you read Richard Bachman, with the notable exceptions of course.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    zombie dai likes this.
  16. zombie dai

i won't try him then! thanks

MichaelH likes this.
  17. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

11/22/63
    The Shawshank Redemption

Gramps Tom, fogalu and Piiijiii like this.
  18. fogalu

I think "The Jaunt" is the most frightening short story I've ever read (and not a ghost or a monster in sight.)
    As teleportation stories go, it beats George Langelaans's "The Fly" and that's saying something.

19. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

The Stand was the first King novel I ever read, but the one that really gave me the heebie-jeebies was Pet Sematary.

20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Counter-opinion - I love The Long Walk. Unnerving story, and though I'm not surprised it hasn't been adapted into a film, I can imagine a good (though very dark) movie being made from it.

I also love Revival. It's another very dark story, and you can clearly read King wrestling with his own mortality (which is also true of Elevation).

I didn't struggle with The Institute, but it felt impersonal, like a workmanlike science fiction novel from the 1980s. It may be the closest King has come to writing a Dean Koontz novel (I'm not a Koontz fan in the least).

21. fogalu

I came across The Running Man in paperback many years ago and I thought it was great. I passed it around to my co-workers and they all enjoyed it. (One of them still has it.)
    I didn't know who the hell Richard Bachman was but I was on the lookout for more books by this guy.

I've been a Stephen King maniac since Salem's Lot came out, so you can imagine my shock when I found out (a few years after I'd read The Running Man) that King was Bachman!

It proved one thing to me: I wasn't predisposed to liking this book because it had Stephen King on the cover.

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, two of Richard Bachman's novels, The Long Walk and Rage, are set at least partially in Maine - southern Maine, specifically, which is King's home base. Even if a fan hadn't looked up the Library of Congress registrations for Bachman's novels, I'll guess that some readers would have figured it out eventually.

23. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

My favorites:
    It
    Needful Things
    Bag Of Bones
    11/22/63

Nice to see Duma Key mentioned a couple of times. Seems to fly under the radar a bit. I thought it was very enjoyable.

I'm about to start the last book in the Gwendy's Button Box trilogy. The first two were solid reads.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  24. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

I had a very similar experience, only in my case it was the Michael Whelan painting on the paperback edition that did it.

[​IMG]

They always say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but after seeing that spooky image on the shelf at my local B. Dalton Bookseller, I bought it, took it home, and started reading it bed that night.

enro99 and vconsumer like this.
  25. Tough one. I admire The Stand more than love it because it falls to all,the post apocalyptic cliches but the storytelling is so dense it’s,still a contender. I,prefer the ones that focus on the human element in relation to the supernatural. The Mr. Mercedes trilogy is great. I also enjoyed ThemOhtsider but Sale,’s Lot and The Shining remain the best written of his novels IMHO. The Body remains his best written novella. I love the Different Seasons anthology.

for the record, I’ve always felt his novellas were an example of his best writing. He tells the story and doesn’t run into editing issues.

GLENN and Pete Puma like this.